Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Custom Sub Box/Storage Build in the Rear (LOTS of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Custom Sub Box/Storage Build in the Rear (LOTS of pics)

I have always been into stereos for my cars in the past and my truck should be the same. However, in past systems, a box in the hatch was fine for the small cars I had. However, with the 4Runner, I really enjoyed the fact that it had such a usable cargo area. I didn't want to just throw a box behind the rear seats and call it a day. What happens when I want to haul some tables or chairs? What about trips? Where would the box go since it'd be in the way? Well, I came up with a fix for those problems that allowed me to keep most of my storage area (and add a little organization) for strollers and daddy materials. It also allowed me to have my system as well.

I started this project in design phase several months ago. It probably would of only taken a few days if I had a REAL time on my hands, but since I work all week and then watch my baby when I get home and on weekends, stealing away an hour here and there is all I have been afforded. However, today I had 4 straight (uninterrupted) hours to work on it and have basically finished it off. The build is in the truck (temporarily) until I can get enough time to add handles to the storage areas and carpet the thing. Then goes the tedious task of wiring the truck up with all new wiring for the stereo, power inverter, fans, etc. In the floor portion, there will be 4 fans cooling 2 amps, a power inverter, Sirius receiver, 2 distribution blocks, 1.2 farad cap. Also, FYI, the subs are 10" Infinity Reference Series. Nothing special, but will certainly do the job.

Well, enough of the talk... let's get onto the photos. The photos are in sequence from start to current phase. I will be adding to these when I do more work on the build. Enjoy and let me know your feedback.

It's not very clear in these shots, but at the rear where the seats are... those panels near the windows are actually storage compartments. The lids go up towards the windows to reveal a carpeted cubby about 9"(L) x 8"(W) x 7"(D). They are very handy for carrying small things so they can't roll around anymore. The carpet will also dampen the sound of whatever is in there.

Well, that's all I have for now. Like I said earlier, I will be posting more pics when I get a chance to work on it some more.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

That is some clean work.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:28 PM

the lizard
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Erik, you're pretty handy. Can't wait to see the final finished pics but better yet, hear it...
Old 05-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FUZION
the lizard
Funny story behind that lizard... my buddy asked me if I had snips at one point during the beginning of the build. I didn't, but my neighbor probably did. He sent me to go and get them, but I didn't know what they looked like. So he drew the snips on the MDF.

Being as we are both artists by natute/trade... the snips started to take shape and soon became the mouth of the lizard that is on the MDF today.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:47 AM

Looks really nice. Where are going to mount the amps?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2000t4r
Looks really nice. Where are going to mount the amps?
Probably not until June sometime... I'm still waiting on some parts to come in (wire, relays, etc) and still need to have the thing carpeted. Soon though... this project started in Feb, so I'm anxious to get it done.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:22 AM

That looks extremely well thought out. Great work. When you get finished, post a complete DIY, so I can copy it!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Update!!!

I dedicated several hours today to carpeting the boxes... they turned out great!!! BTW - the black dot on the one on the left is spray paint. I had already carpeted it, and was screwing on the shackle when I tilted it forward to get to the back of the shackle... when all of a sudden I hear this "hissss" sound. Turned out when I tilted it forward, it contacted the can of black spray paint. It was just my luck that the nozzle was pointing RIGHT SQUARE at the box. Of all the luck... I was so pissed!!! I got about 60% of it up, but it's still definately noticeable. Next step is to carpet the false floor then wire it up. That should be done by Memorial Day weekend... we'll see how that goes.

Well, onto the pics... enjoy!

Last edited by ErikJeanna; 05-20-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Wow Eric that looks great. Very clean and classy. Where did you buy that carpet? I need some for my box but would like to use the same color you did so it will match my interior. Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

looks really great, what is the measurement from speaker box to speaker box?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:43 PM

How are you going to attach the seperate boxes to the false floor?? Or are the just going to be held by gravity??
Old 05-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Job!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
A picture(s) is worth a thousand words.
Incredible man, that looks great!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

this thing is turnin out sweet
Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 AM

What kind of fans are you using? How is the noise level of the fans because most fans that size are pretty loud?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 PM

Looks good! Where did you go to get the carpet you used to cover the boxes?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
dude wow, that is freaking awesome, i just have a normal big anus ugly box in the back of my runner, that would be sweet if i could make something like that, but have it go around the roll bar
Old 05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hlpressley
Wow Eric that looks great. Very clean and classy. Where did you buy that carpet? I need some for my box but would like to use the same color you did so it will match my interior. Thanks
Sorry I didn't reply sooner... I'm actually at a Bed & Breakfast in Big Bear right now on vaca with the family. I just found out that the main Living Room has hi-speed internet for free.... SWEET!

OK, the carpet is from a place called Quality Fabrics in Oxnard, CA. I got a 9x9 piece for like $35. Perfect amount for what I did. Just google them, they have a site.

Originally Posted by HOJU
looks really great, what is the measurement from speaker box to speaker box?
There is a false floor that is 36" wide and 38" deep. I think it's about 4" tall also.

Originally Posted by BennyTRD
How are you going to attach the seperate boxes to the false floor?? Or are the just going to be held by gravity??
No attachement to the false floor and no gravity. I took the brackets that hold the canopy cover off and exposed the holes. I drove a 3.5" screw in through the storage area into that hole. I also took the tie downs near the tailgate out and put a screw through the box into that hole. So, each side it held by the side and the bottom... they dont move at all. And the false floor creats a great seal between the two boxes to further secure it. It's great!

Originally Posted by DoubleZero4x4
What kind of fans are you using? How is the noise level of the fans because most fans that size are pretty loud?
The fans are these here...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=59261795
They are SUPER quiet... even with 4 of them. And the top of the false floor covers them as well as they are budded up near the rear seats. You won't hear a thing!

I hope this answered everything... email me if you have any other questions. I will be working on it when I get back from Big Bear on Wed and will HOPEFULLY have it done by Memorial Day.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:19 AM

Looks good. Any specs on the boxes so somone might be able to duplicate this?

Quick Reply: Custom Sub Box/Storage Build in the Rear (LOTS of pics)