Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Custom Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Roof Rack

Jowie and I have been fabbing up a roof rack... its almost done, need to grind a bit, get misc. bolts, and paint it...

Just wanted to know your opinion....

Are the lights too close? should I space em out a bit? or does it look good as is?

Old 11-27-2003, 08:29 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks good.
I'd put a little extra space between the lights though, I think it would just look a bit better.

Dang, you got some bucks tied up into 4 Lightforce lights
Those the 170s?
Old 11-27-2003, 08:45 AM

Yea... 170's... When I bought the Viair 450c I just ponied up the bones for a pairs... lol.

Yea Jowie thinks they look fine... I kinda think they need to be even from edge to edge...
Old 11-27-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Ducky
When I bought the Viair 450c
Where are you mounting this? Under the hood? Or is it the portable model?
Old 11-27-2003, 09:57 AM

Under the hood.. got the best place for it...
Old 11-27-2003, 10:05 AM

Well where is that? Got pics?
I like the look of your lift, how much do you have your SAWs cranked?
I've got 1 3/4" of thread showing on the bottom of mine, can I go up more without causing CV damage? How long have you had yours cranked that high?
Oh yeah mine are the newer SAWs with the stiffer springs(675ppi) are yours newer or older style?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks awesome, but i agree with corey and space out the lights a little, good work ~kyle
Old 11-27-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

looks good!
Old 11-27-2003, 11:08 AM

thx all... I prolley will space them out a bit.

Robt2k... not sure... but as far as the mounting, unlike most ppl with the 3rd gens, my antilock brakes (I think thats what they are) are not on the passenger side wheel fender... mines integrated with my brake master cylinder... so my passenger fender is pretty much clear... it will go right there... I dont have pics, but I will when I install it...
Old 11-27-2003, 11:53 AM

Hey Ducky,
That looks sweet.
I like the way the rack sits tight with the roof line. Thats what bugs me about my Yakima rack.

I do agree that the lights need to be spread out more.
What is holding the black handle of your highlift jack. That could easily be caught by a branch.

The tire up there will change your center of gravity a bit.

Can't wait to see it in person.

Mike
Old 11-27-2003, 11:59 AM

Mike... Currently... a couple of zip ties... but im wanting a rubber holder like jowies..
Old 11-27-2003, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RobT2k
Well where is that?
I run a 450C under the hood as well... I moved my cruise control (I have an auto) and mounted it up on the passenger side fender:

(click the pics for larger versions)
Old 11-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

That is a sweet looking 4runner!

Nice lights! It does look like they are almost touching? A little more space would probably be good.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by midiwall
I run a 450C under the hood as well... I moved my cruise control (I have an auto) and mounted it up on the passenger side fender:
What did you do with the cruise control? Just move it a few inches? Did you have to make another mounting bracket for it?
Where does that line coming out of your compressor go to?
Old 11-28-2003, 07:48 AM

(sorry for hijacking the thread Ducky... I think we'll be quick)

Originally posted by RobT2k
What did you do with the cruise control? Just move it a few inches? Did you have to make another mounting bracket for it? Where does that line coming out of your compressor go to?
The cruise control got moved straight forward (straight in terms of "towards the engine") about 10" and then rotated it 90 degrees so that the cable points straight up. You can see it in the middle picture, #2: http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/pics/viair450c_2.jpg

I used the stock mounting bracket, and just drilled a hole in the fender to mount it to. It's self-calibrating so there's no need to futz around after moving it. Just be sure that the cable isn't kinked.

The 450C comes with a 12"(ish) steel braided leader that terminates in a 1/4" NPT fitting. I attached that to a barbed nipple, and clamped on a 3/8" hose (the orange one that you can see). The hose runs along the passenger fender well, under the electric fans to a 1 x 3 manifold. The manifold supports 1) a line to a tank, 2) a pressure cutoff switch, and 3) a feeder line for plugging in an air hose: (http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/pics/viair450c_3.jpg)

Hope that helps! If youo have other questions, we should probably move out of Ducky's thread.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:39 AM

Re: Custom Roof Rack

Are the lights too close? should I space em out a bit? or does it look good as is?
I had a thought about this...

Outside of spacing them out, I would wire the outside pair separate from the inside pair so that they're on different switches. Aim the outsides out farther in front of the hood (and since they're LifghtForces, set them to a wide pattern), then aim the inner pair in closer, and set them to a narrower pattern. That would give you a good range of possibilities for lighting up the road in front of you.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:58 AM

this is going to sound stupid but oh well. How do you wire those lights on the roof to a realy switch and a battery? Do you go through the celling liner or what?
Old 11-28-2003, 11:04 AM

Mark: Ill for sure space them out... going today to pick up the longer bolts I need... hopefully that will solve my mounting problems... but thinking ahead unless i put switches somewhere else I only got room for 1 switch for all 4... (ill have room for an compressor switch and a locker switch)

phatride4ever: Good question... I haven't gotten that far yet... lol... at least it will look cool... heh... but yea ill have to figgure that out after I get everything secured the way I want it.

Robt2k: I think ill try to get pics of mine before i mount the compressor... alot of people are amazed that theres nothing over on that fender on my 01... I prolley wont even have to move anything...

Last edited by Ducky; 11-28-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:27 PM

but thinking ahead unless i put switches somewhere else I only got room for 1 switch for all 4... (ill have room for an compressor switch and a locker switch)
Hmmm... 'k. You may wanna look into a switch panel, even if you don't use it fro the lamps, I'd bet that you're not done with switches. For example, "when" you add a winch (you know you will!) it's handy to have a kill switch inside the truck. That way you can kill power to the winch when you leave the truck, lest someone hotwire the winch and use it to bend the bejeezus out of your frame.

You can buy "standard" panels blister packed at Schucks, or you can fun with stuff like this:

http://www.painlessperformance.com/switchcc.htm

Whatever you do, run a _couple_ of relays in parallel to support the load. Those 170's will draw a good amount of current, don't try to pass it all through a switch. David did that with the initial install of his rocklights and realized that he could feel the heat off of the switch after them being on for just a minute. "not good".
Old 11-28-2003, 03:57 PM

Already got a pair of relays, Im running a relay per pair of lights...

Just started to primer it... not going to grind down the welds too much, it will be all out of view anyhow... besides I think it looks ok and thats all that matters....

moved the lights out and spaced them out.. we will see when its all said and done....

the bolts... the only thing i hate is finding metric bolts... lol... I couldnt find longer bolts in the size i need so I may have to goto tacoma screw or something to get the ones I need.

Quick Reply: Custom Roof Rack