Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Custom Bumper Fit Help

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Bumper Fit Help

I modified a 2nd gen TJM to fit my 3rd gen. I still want to add some shackle hangers and side wing supports back to the frame, but it is pretty close to being finished.

I have a slight fitment issue though. I made it too tight to the body and it tends to hit the flares/quarter panel when I hit a big bump with one front wheel. Due to the way that I designed the mounts, the bumper is adjusted as low as it will go and would require a fairly substantial amount of work to rebuild the mounts lower. So I have kind of thought that it might be easier to do a body lift to solve the problem. Right now the bumper is about 1/2" from the body.

What would you do? How far do you think I need to be from the body (1"???).

A 1" body lift would work as I could adjust the bumper higher pretty easy if needed. However I was thinking a less expensive route might be to do a 1/4" spacer or 2 using the existing body mount bolts. Do you think this would work?

The Build is here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2...runner-186040/

And some more recent pics since paint and radiator protection.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Anyone out there?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Hey there Goin
It is a little hard to tell from the pictures in your install thread but it almost looks like you could just drill a couple of new holes and slide the whole bumper down a bit. I couldn't tell for sure from the pictures. The thing with a body lift is that it may gap too much. Or what about just grinding your wings to avoid contact.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goin', off subject, but size diameter hole did you cut for those fogs...5"?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by dannomite
Hey there Goin
It is a little hard to tell from the pictures in your install thread but it almost looks like you could just drill a couple of new holes and slide the whole bumper down a bit. I couldn't tell for sure from the pictures. The thing with a body lift is that it may gap too much. Or what about just grinding your wings to avoid contact.
Unfortunately a picture of the finished mount itself was one pic that I neglected to take. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to actually put the bumper on. However you can see in the next couple pics how I cut the old TJM mount.

Here is the original TJM mount. It had bolt holes on the front and top. The straight part on top is what the bumper now rests flat on.

In this pic is the waste piece from the original TJM mount.

So sliding it downward is not really a possibilty without cutting the mount significantly and rewelding, which I would rather not do.

I may be able to grind the wings a bit maybe a 1/8" in some spots. ALso if the 1" body lift created too much of a gap I could raise the bumper up pretty easy. Does anyone know the sweet spot for what the gap should be on a TJM type bumper?

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Goin', off subject, but size diameter hole did you cut for those fogs...5"?
The hole in the bumper was 5 1/2". The inserted pipe is 5" inside and 1/4" thick.

The Hellas do not fit in there and I have not even wired them to see how they cast a light yet. I have been searching for a light that will fit properly and the best I have found is the piaa 510 which is a little less than an inch too small. I have however finally finished my sleeping platform/ cargo drawers recently though.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Goin
I have however finally finished my sleeping platform/ cargo drawers recently though.
Looking forward to seeing your version.

What would you do?
I think the best and most inexpensive solution would be a mild 1/2" BL from 4cralwer. It'll solve your problem without compromise. He's also the only place that offers it.

See the 5th black "dot"...
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#Introduction

Select Kit B (Ultimate Lift Blocks) $48
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...shtml#GenIII.2

Add $8 for shipping. $56 shipped.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Goin

What would you do? How far do you think I need to be from the body (1"???).
Mine is about one finger width, no problems yet. I guess if its hitting go for the 1" BL, a BL helps in other ways too:

Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Looking forward to seeing your version.

I think the best and most inexpensive solution would be a mild 1/2" BL from 4cralwer. It'll solve your problem without compromise. He's also the only place that offers it.

See the 5th black "dot"...
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#Introduction

Select Kit B (Ultimate Lift Blocks) $48
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...shtml#GenIII.2

Add $8 for shipping. $56 shipped.
Wow I did not realize a 1/2" BL was availible that inexpensively. Thanks for the info, I think I am going to go this route. I will try to get some pics of the sleeping platform, however it is very similar to the ones others have built. Why reinvent the wheel type of thing.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Mine is about one finger width, no problems yet. I guess if its hitting go for the 1" BL, a BL helps in other ways too:
Thanks for the pic, that helps a bunch.