Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cup holder solution or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cup holder solution or not?

Hey guys,
So im on ebay and i find this single din cup holder from an older saab? Its relatively cheap and seems like a good solution to some horrible design flaws in my 98 4runner. (mainly speaking, the dash cupholder) I already have an aftermarket stereo in my 4runner so it would seem to me that I could install this cupholder underneath the stereo and solve the problem? Any ideas? has anyone tried a cupholder like this? I could use some advice/info on the idea. Thanks peoples...

Here is the cup holder:

Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM

well, my biggest reason for building my own center console was to have cup holders that i ereased when i did my carpc screen fab, but even before than, the cup holders were broken, and even when they did work... they spilled everything all over the radio, AC controls and vents, and then down into the shifter.

is it a good option in my opinion, no, there are better options out there (99+ console swap, or custom like im doing) i dont know how much that piece is, but im guessing you COULD find a 99+ console for about the same price and have a much much better unit. that will probably work, my only worry is interference with the shifter and radio when it has cups in it. i would save your cash and do a 99+ swap.

links to my center console modifications (work in progress) in case you are curious:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/DSC02219.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...b/100_0271.jpg

Last edited by seanz0rz; 01-29-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A popular mod for '96-'98 4Runners, is the cup holder mod as seen here: Click Me
Old 01-31-2008, 06:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To reiterate the above, I too did the cup holder mod only I did it a bit different then Bob, I did a complete swap of the 99+ parts. I had to trim the center console to fit and then using the 99+ parts for mounting the console I did not have to do too much else and relocating the switches from your ebrake portion of the console to the dash is easy as well. I chose to do it a bit differently so check out my write up here as well: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126.../#post50701571

Between Bob's and my mod you can have a very useful, simple and cost effective solution to one of Toyota's biggest snafu in the Gen 3. Hey it was a real issue, they changed it!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 AM

I too did the complete swap but I didn't have to trim the sides at all. We all have to trim the bottom stubs off but I relocated my Alarm, ECT/Power, and rear window switch to the dash. I didn't have to extend any wires but the ECT and Rear window were pretty tight, looks great. The only thing is that the rear window switch is upside down compared to a normal standard up/down switch. It's made so when you're looking at the console the top is up and the bottom is down but when you put it in the dash so the writing isn't upside down the switch is. The up is on the bottom and the down is on the top. Who cares though, I've got cup holders and more cubbies for crap!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 AM

I haven't had problems with spilling stuff down my radio and shifter and stuff. I think my ex spilled something into the vents though. My big drawback from doing the swap is moving the switches and alarm and stuff. I have plans for all those switch plates.

A quick question for you guys that did do the swap, do you guys have the rear air? Did you have to get a center console w/ the rear air to make it work?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 AM

I have rear air in my 96 T4R Limited and was lucky enough to find a 99 with rear heat in the local j/y.

Originally Posted by pkt1213
I haven't had problems with spilling stuff down my radio and shifter and stuff. I think my ex spilled something into the vents though. My big drawback from doing the swap is moving the switches and alarm and stuff. I have plans for all those switch plates.

A quick question for you guys that did do the swap, do you guys have the rear air? Did you have to get a center console w/ the rear air to make it work?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

I was too lazy to do the cup holder mod so I sold my '97 and bought a '99.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM

My big drawback from doing the swap is moving the switches and alarm and stuff. I have plans for all those switch plates.

To address you concerns on the moving of the switches, you can do what I do and relocate them to the shifter console. (Check out my cup holder mod in the tech section). I too want to install some goodies in those switch locations.

As for the console itself, I haven't seen any on the 99-02 that didn't have the slot and cutout for rear heat. If you use the OEM bracket for the 99-02 along with the ebrake bracket, trim the base of the new console so it matches the old console contour, you don't need to modify anything else. The console will slip right on, line up with the mounting bracket and just bolt it in place with no further mod to the center console.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM

Ritzy - I've looked at your write up several times when I was thinking about doing this. I just like the stock look. I think maybe in a straight line across infront of the 4 wheel drive shift lever wouldn't be that bad. Something that has slots the same size across as out switches.

Also does anyone have a pic of how the manual transmission center is set up? Is the 4 wheel lever back on the right side?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:27 PM

OK, So youve all convinced me to just do the center console mod... Now, does anyone know where I can score a 99-02 center console around Orange County, CA? Ive checked a few wrecking yards and they arent much help? Or does anyone want to sell me theirs/have a connection. Oh, and thanks for all the great input on this... I need to get down and introduce my baby to you all... Maybe when im done with this mod, ill introduce you guys... Thanks again! PM me if anyone has any info.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 AM

Ritzy - I've looked at your write up several times when I was thinking about doing this. I just like the stock look. I think maybe in a straight line across infront of the 4 wheel drive shift lever wouldn't be that bad. Something that has slots the same size across as out switches.
I would agree that locating the switches so they were vertical would be idea, but due to the depth of a couple of the switches, it was not possible to locate them in that manner. I'm sure if more time was employed it could be done, but I chose the best location based on what was immediately available. The ECT switch is almost 3" long so finding a location on the center shift console was a tough fit. Otherwise I would have just mounted them in the drivers dash in the provided cutouts.

Also does anyone have a pic of how the manual transmission center is set up? Is the 4 wheel lever back on the right side?
Here are a couple of pics from eBay that show you what they look like. It seems that manual transmissions all were set up the same with the shift lever closest to the driver (left) and the 4WD selector lever to the right.

Gen 2 1995 http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d5/9e/3d6e_3.JPG
Gen 3 2000 http://www.njdealer.com/rich/IMG_4561.jpg
Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 AM

So now the tricky part if I wanted to do this is finding a console for a manual.

I guess I don't have to worry about the ECT button. I just have the alarm and something else I think. Maybe just the alarm. This is off the top of my head.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM

So now the tricky part if I wanted to do this is finding a console for a manual.
Actually the eBrake and the console will not be an issue for you. They should be the same no matter whether its an automatic or manual transmission. The shifter bezel is different then in an automatic 4runner. That will present a different mounting option scenario for you.

I guess I don't have to worry about the ECT button. I just have the alarm and something else I think. Maybe just the alarm. This is off the top of my head.
The switches you most likely have on your eBrake center console if you do not have the ECT, is the alarm and rear window. Those can be easily moved to the driver's dash if you don't want to try to figure out some other place to mount them. One idea I had was to remove the small cubby hole bucket in the 99+ console next to and below the eBrake handle and replace it with a solid piece of plastic. Cut mounting holes in that and then either carve up the old center console mounts like I did for the switch mounting in my shifter bezel then mount them there or just epoxy mounting the switches. Only down side is if you need to replace the switch, then you have to cut it out, but they don't fail very often. This location provides easy access and lots of room for any deep switches or other accessory switches you might want to add. I wanted the little place to stash stuff, so I opted out of that idea. Other then that they should be the same, the center console I mean.