Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cup holder, done, technically, need advice, sort of long

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cup holder, done, technically, need advice, sort of long

Well, it was I nice day so I figured I'd go ahead and move the buttons/stuff from the old console and into the dash. That was no problem. But then I decided to go ahead and do the whole console swap. My prolems are these: I don't have a 99+ handle, so I just did the tilt thing with my old one. So, despite cutting out lots of the bottom plastic, the handle hits the bottom of the storage area and the end of it doesn't fit well in the slit, so it's a little crooked. I will have pics tonight or tomorrow. But did anyone else have similar problems? I tried switching out the console innards, but the 99 is deeper than the 97, so no good. Not to be beaten by an uncooperative handle, I have it in fairly well, at least until I can come across a 99+ handle. A little advice would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
chuckd,

ok first off, do you have the 99 shell and the 99 innards? i think you do. it seems that the only things you dont have are the 99 ebrake handle and the 99 silver bracket. do you have the rear heater? and finally, did you follow my write up 100%?

i'll try to answer your questions based on what you wrote:

- since you and i have the 98 ebrake handle, it will rub against the side of the ebrake slit. that is the reason why i cut off the rubber handle off the 98 ebrake handle (step 2)

- yes, the 99 innards are taller than the 98, hence the trimming. see the last pic under step 1. did you cut the 99 shell too short by chance?

Bob
Old 02-28-2004, 11:11 PM

yeah, I used your writeup, and i think lsu somethings one fro the dash removal. I think I did indeed cut it too short. I didn't cut much, but it was just slightly too much I think. I don't have rear heat in my car, but the console has it. I'm going to take out the control switch and replace it with the alarm light. I'm pretty sure the 99 handle will fix my problem. Another thing I had to do was take out the little box thing next to the handle slit. Now there is just a gap. I think I will cover it with a piece of woodgrain plexiglass or something. I did trim the rubber on the handle. It is in there good enough that it will work until the handle comes in. I think I will just try and get one and throw it in when I do the sound deadening thing this summer.
What did you do with your box thing, did yours work fine?
thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd
yeah, I used your writeup, and i think lsu somethings one fro the dash removal. I think I did indeed cut it too short. I didn't cut much, but it was just slightly too much I think. I don't have rear heat in my car, but the console has it. I'm going to take out the control switch and replace it with the alarm light. I'm pretty sure the 99 handle will fix my problem. Another thing I had to do was take out the little box thing next to the handle slit. Now there is just a gap. I think I will cover it with a piece of woodgrain plexiglass or something. I did trim the rubber on the handle. It is in there good enough that it will work until the handle comes in. I think I will just try and get one and throw it in when I do the sound deadening thing this summer.
What did you do with your box thing, did yours work fine?
thanks
chuck,

both the small front pocket and the large cargo pocket fit fine. to my knowledge, everyone who's done this has succesfully used both parts as well.

it does sound like you cut the shell a little short, given the fact that you seem to have problems fitting the innards.

bob
Old 02-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Yeah. That sucks. i didn't cut any off the back or front. They are both as they were. I just kind of cut out the middle. So i would think that even if I cut out too much from the middle the back and front would still hold it up. I don't know. I need to take it apart and spend some time with it. I think if I ˟˟˟˟ the whole brake handle to the right about a half inch everything will be cool. I wouldnot even need the new handle.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah. That sucks. i didn't cut any off the back or front. They are both as they were. I just kind of cut out the middle. So i would think that even if I cut out too much from the middle the back and front would still hold it up. I don't know. I need to take it apart and spend some time with it. I think if I ˟˟˟˟ the whole brake handle to the right about a half inch everything will be cool. I wouldnot even need the new handle.
Can you post some pics when you get a chance so we can see what happened?
That may save some of us from some headache as well.

I really look forward to this mod....
.......and not putting my hot coffee into the launchpad toyota designed as cupholders on 96-98's.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:27 AM

I ˟˟˟˟ the whole brake handle
OUCH!!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I'll try to get some pics up by this evening. My advice would be to cut the bottom a little at a time. And get a newer handle.
3/1. New plan. While the pocket now will fit as is, I have found a handle for $45. Plus $15 for shipping. For that price I think will just buy a drill. I am going to shift the front bolt over to the right about a half inch. This will give more room for the handle to stick out, while giving me the clearance I need. I also think that between the mounting bracket for the tub and the front the console cutting it short should be irrelevant. It's raining like balls outside so this new approach will have to wait.

Last edited by chuckd; 03-01-2004 at 02:17 PM.