Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cryogenic Rotors anyone??

Old 02-01-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cryogenic Rotors anyone??

I'm looking to replace the rotors and pads on my wifes SUV and while searching for the best set-up I found out about rotors that have been cryogenically treated. (www.frozenrotors.com). They have rotors for the Tundra and I was wondering if anyone has a set. They sound awesome and Tirerack sells Power Slot Rotors that have been treated by Diversified Cryogenics (www.frozenrotors.com). They are special order though. I found a shop locally that can get them in in two weeks but didn't know if they are worth it. Any experieces anybody??? Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Frozen Rotors??? I guess this is for real , just checked that site. Never heard of them. I'm curious as what other people will say. Personally, I wouldn't buy them.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:14 PM

maybe this is some new form of forging. It does make since that the rotors are expensive. The compounds used to do this type of set up are very expensive. any real benefits I wouldn't know. I need to visit their site.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Does your wife track her suv/truck? Sounds like overkill if you ask me...

I think you will be plenty happy with powerslots, brembos or the tundra brake upgrade...
Old 02-01-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cryo treating rotors doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. guess what happens when you use your brakes...the rotors get hot! unless i'm missing something, the point of cryogenically treating them would be pretty much moot.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I've been involved with cryogenics and the technique basically changes the subatomic structure such that it increases hardness but also increases brittleness. From what I've seen and read, I would believe that cryogenic treatment of ANY metal which sees wear service would benefit. Oddly, there isn't a lot of research being done on the commercial level.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the input. Turboale is probably right about the overkill. I'm just tired of the rotors warping and the description for these rotors on Tirerack states the following:

* Rotors resist cracking, warping and fading.
* Rotors last 2-3 times longer. Fewer pads and rotors are needed.
* Rotors stop consistently and predictably, lap after lap.

I know they are geared towards race vehicles but I'm all for spending a little extra cash on a rotor that won't warp or crap out as quickly as others. Maybe I'm wrong but I spent $100 each on OEM rotors last year and a dealer here in Dallas can get the cryogenic rotors for $108 each. I thought it was worth a shot but I'm still undecided.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:14 PM

I've actually seen cryo a few years ago but what i saw it on was rifle barrels. Its supposed to relieve the stress in the barrel as it gets warmer. From what i have seen it has had pretty specatacular results in firearms, it would be interesting to see it on brakes though.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Additioanally:
"Deep Cryogenic Tempering creates a significant increase in abrasive wear resistance and durability. The increases in tensile strength, toughness and stability may couple with the release of internal residual stresses."
My experiences with cryogenics have been with it's impact on wear reduction (primarily pump impellers, bearings, etc..) and maintaining sharp cutting edges (cutting blades, drills, etc..). I've seen where it has increased electrical contact life and I even have some fish hooks that were treated (the verdict is still out on those...).
I can only assume that cryo treated rotors would wear better than non-treated and, since there is no major impact type stress on the rotor, the increase in brittleness shouldn't be a factor. I don't know if it would do a lot to prevent warpage but I doubt it would make it worse.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cryo-tempering has been around for a little while but the applications are continuing to grow.
You can see that there is much more than brake rotors:
http://www.300below.com/site/home.html
http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com/index.html

Researchers have found that the effects of shallow cryogenic tempering (-110°F) is minimal unless it is performed as part of the initial heat treat cycle. Heat treating is what gives steel its hardness as well as its toughness, wear resistance and ductility. Even performed properly, heat treating cannot remove all of the retained austenite (large, unstable particles of carbon carbide) from a steel. Proper heat treating is a key part in increasing a parts toughness, durability, wear resistance, strength and Rockwell hardness.

The beneficial changes that occur as a result of the heat treat process do not actually take place during the heating, but, rather from the cooling or "quenching" from the high temperature. (The benefits of the quench do not stop at room temperature, as many alloys will continue to show significant improvements as the quench temperature nears absolute zero.) While it is impossible to actually achieve -459.67°F, (a molecular zero movement state that eliminates all stress), deep cryogenic tempering temperatures are very efficient and cost effective in increasing dimensional stability, increasing wear resistance and performance of most alloys.

If you want something a bit more technical, you can read this:
http://lennon.pub.csufresno.edu/~rlk16/cryo.html

Overall, the process does work.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by needa4runner
Thanks for the input. Turboale is probably right about the overkill. I'm just tired of the rotors warping and the description for these rotors on Tirerack states the following:

* Rotors resist cracking, warping and fading.
* Rotors last 2-3 times longer. Fewer pads and rotors are needed.
* Rotors stop consistently and predictably, lap after lap.

I know they are geared towards race vehicles but I'm all for spending a little extra cash on a rotor that won't warp or crap out as quickly as others. Maybe I'm wrong but I spent $100 each on OEM rotors last year and a dealer here in Dallas can get the cryogenic rotors for $108 each. I thought it was worth a shot but I'm still undecided.
You might want to look at this thread where the TSB for the Tundra brakes have been outlined:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...9&page=1&pp=25

You should get the TSBs done first then see if you need the rotor upgrade.
Otherwise you are just compensating for the problem that exists.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure a harder rotor would be good. BMW uses a fairly soft rotor, which develops deep grooves, and needs replacing every pad change. They do this for performance or so I'm told. I know you want a rotor that won’t warp, but I get the feeling the added surface hardness would hurt performance.

The Tundra brakes sound like a good idea.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

I had a set of Cryo treated Powerslot front rotors on my Eclipse and I autocrossed several times a year along with drag racing plus hard street driving they lasted over 2 years with no warping at all and that included quick braking from 120+mph;worth it on a vehicle that needed that type of braking but for the $$$ they're a bit overkill on a stock Runner but a set of plain PowerSlot rotors would be worth it IMO.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go ahead and get the regular power slot rotors. The shop here in Dallas said I get free Hawk brake pads with purchase of rotors so woohoo!! Thanks for all the advice and hopefully the power slots will do the trick.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:46 PM

tempered rotors? hmmmmm just stick the ones u got now in a forge and dunk them in any type of oil, thats a blacksmiths route

Last edited by hamstrungtaco; 02-02-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

I am a material science major in college(taken several metallurgy courses) , and with the temperatures your brakes reach under heavy braking conditions, all the benefits that result would likely be erased. This is an opinion given without researching specifics for the materials and conditions the products see. In general rapid quenching from high temperature does change the metal microstructure, but this process is easily reversed when high temperatures are seen again.

I'd say its a waste, of course they are going to advertise it as being a great improvement, thats how they sell thier product. You dont buy every infomercial that comes on TV just because they claim its a wonderful product do you?

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 02-03-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
cryo treating rotors doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. guess what happens when you use your brakes...the rotors get hot! unless i'm missing something, the point of cryogenically treating them would be pretty much moot.
Similar to longfields, the treatment makes it stronger and they should wear less.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

longfields dont get glowing red hot under heavy use either, and cryo treatment also is only effective on fancy alloy steels, it doesn nothing to plain carbon steels. I doubt they make your brake rotors out of cro-moly steel or similar type.

The old thing where bobby long used to take stock birfs and cryo treat them. . . waste of money. It works on 41xx or 43xx etc steels but not on 10xx plain carbon steels like stock birfs and i would expect, brake rotors.

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 02-03-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
l

The old thing where bobby long used to take stock birfs and cryo treat them. . . waste of money. It works on 41xx or 43xx etc steels but not on 10xx plain carbon steels like stock birfs and i would expect, brake rotors.
I don't really wana argue with you, because I do not know the specifics, but I know plenty of folks that break stock birfs and not cryo treated ones. As far as I understand extreame heating and cooling changed the molecular arrangements and cryo treating, taking it close to absolute zero, where molecular movement stops, will arrange the molecules in a stable mannor. I guess it wouldnt be as strong for all types of metal, because the initial treatments for removing inpurities.
Back when I was in music school, lots of brass player would get their horns treated and swore by it.

Oh heck here is a site that talks about NHRA pros that treat their stuff

I guess I just dont understand how it would work on some types of steel not others.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM

i don't want to sound like a know it all, but in order to undo the cryo-treating in any steel, you'd need to bring it back above the "critical temperature" of about1300 degrees where steel is susceptible to molecular change. steel begins to glow red at about 900 degrees and i don't see many people running around with glowing red rotors so its a safe bet that they're not getting into the 1000's. under normal breaking you're not reverting the steel to a different molecular state. the cryo-treated rotors WILL hold up against warping better than standard rotors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cryogenic Rotors anyone??