Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cross Country and back Preparation

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country and back Preparation

I've decided to take a road trip back home to San Diego next summer and chill for a couple weeks then come back. At 180k I'm a little nervous but I'm sure my baby will be fine. Anyways, just to make sure I wanted to prepare for the massive mileage and was just going to get any tips from those who road trip often. I figure the earlier the better, just want to have all my ducks in a row leading up to it. Thanks guys

Weston
Old 08-15-2007, 04:50 AM

Other than changing your oil, have a nice trip! Though you may want to consider what other fluids or services my be coming up during your journey and just do them now. If she's running good now than you shouldn't be worried. Those are way easier miles than heavy stop and go traffic.
But I know how you feel.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

If you wanted to do extra precaution work, do all the tune up stuff, and check it ou just like you would if you were buying a used car, Check tranny fluid levels, diff fluid, belts, lube the driveshaft, check all your u joints, and change any and all fluids, I mean you could go so far as to flush the radiator, drain the diffs, the whole nine yards. Dont forget to check your plugs and wires good.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 AM

Like Rocko said, just check everything over real well. Might take a look at the radiator hoses/heater hoses too.

I worry about the same thing when we make the yearly run to the coast every summer.

Freeway miles are easier on the rig than stop and go daily driving.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 AM

Checklist

I do a lot of long drives. I've put about 1 million miles on various vehicles in 30 years of driving, so I have some stories. Some of this stuff will seem really stupid and basic, and some go pretty far into optional territory, but I've seen people stranded or at least inconvenienced by all of them:

1) Make sure ALL fluids are topped off. Engine oil, trans, power steering, transfer case, and diffs. Clutch and brake fluid. Windshield washer.
2) All belts in good shape and at proper tension. Hoses in good shape, and clamps tight.
3) Windshield wipers in good shape.
4) A clean air filter saves gas.
5) Tires properly inflated and balanced.
6) SPARE properly inflated and ALL tire changing tools in their places. I recommend you make sure you can break the lug nuts free with your wrench BEFORE you leave, rather than discovering they are too tight while standing in the driving rain on the side of the interstate. A flashing safety light or reflector triangle is also a good idea. I also keep a flashlight and batteries in with my jack, where I won't be tempted to take it out of the vehicle and be left without it. Changing a tire on the side of the road in the dark without a flashlight is no fun. Take a guess as to how I know this....
7) Get a small box (like a tackle box). Put in a basic tool kit (screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, a knife, etc.) Put in a small first aid kit with band aids and aspirin. Spare fuses of all sizes and a puller. Duct tape and electrical tape. A flashlight and batteries.
8) A roll of paper towels and a bottle of glass cleaner.
9) More music than you think you'll listen to. Unless you like listening to bible bangin' preachers or UFO guys at 3 AM in the middle of nowhere.
10) A cooler with munchies and drinks. Ice cold carrots and celery are great, unless you want to arrive 5 lb heavier than you left.
11) If you have room, a pair of coveralls or some crappy old clothes are good for not ruining your clothes while changing a tire or otherwise messing with the car. Rubber medical gloves will keep your hands clean. This is personal preference, but I prefer to drive in slip-on shoes that I can take on/off easily.
12) Be sure you have your registration papers and insurance cards with you.
13) Don't forget your wallet and cellphone/charger. Doh!
14) AAA or some other emergency road service program can be a real headache saver. Maps and/or a GPS, even if you think you know where you are going!

Good luck.

Last edited by moabite; 08-15-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Is there a reason you want to drive? If you figure in the cost of gas, hotel rooms, and wear on your truck it might be cheaper to fly. Unless you just like the thought of driving across country, then that's cool.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 AM

All the above plus: I would consider the age of your water pump, timing belt (if applicable), Alternator & Fuel filter/pump. I can not over state the importance of appling antisieze to your lugs and properly torqueing them.

I worked in shop near an Interstate and around all of the major holidays we were swamped with folks stranded with these issues.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

thanks guys. yeah mostly just for a break from school with my buddy. also, this way if he comes we can split gas and housing and all that on the way, i can't split a plane ticket...plus this will be the billionth time i've been back there i'd like some alternative mode, i love driving my baby what can i say. and we're splitting the green once i get back to sd so i see no reason to pay more than him for anything else. of course, if anything goes wrong with the car en route then i'm definitely not asking him for money for that. with all that said, are there any places in particular i should avoid on the trip, or vice versa? any attractions, scenery that would merit me a good picture would be great
Old 08-15-2007, 05:32 PM

Another option

Originally Posted by 90RunnerRed
Is there a reason you want to drive? If you figure in the cost of gas, hotel rooms, and wear on your truck it might be cheaper to fly. Unless you just like the thought of driving across country, then that's cool.
I'll throw in another option, although I know the original poster wants to drive his beloved 'Runner.

I drove from Denver to Chicago and back a few weeks ago, which is almost exactly 1000 miles each way. There were three of us, one of whom can't drive. The cost of airline tickets was going to be $450 each, so $1350. Added to that would have been $300 for a rental car in Chicago. $1650.

Instead, we rented a car for $300 in Denver, and drove to Chicago and back. This is a great option. By the time you consider driving to Dumbass International Airport, parking, riding shuttles, going through security, etc., then the same hassle on the other end, it is a 7 hour trip door to door to fly these days. It is a 16 hour drive if you go straight through, counting stops. With a rental, you get a brand new car, which gets better mileage than the 4Runner, and you don't put 2000+ miles of wear and tear on your prized vehicle. And, if the rental breaks down, or even if you just get a flat, you call the company and they bring you a new car and/or take care of the problem. The car we rented (a 2008 Taurus, a fantastic interstate ride) got high 20's for mileage and was comfortable as could be. With gas just under $3.00 a gallon, we spent about $230 in gas in transit, so $530 altogether for rental and gas. We saved more than a grand over flying, and with two drivers the drive wasn't that bad. The cost was an extra 9 hours of travel time each way. I know some people who have flown this summer who have been hit by cancellations that have taken longer to fly where they were going than if they had driven!

It was worth it to us. YMMV. The more people, the better the rental option computes.

Last edited by moabite; 08-15-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:35 PM

bump!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 PM

In November i'll be driving from colorado through arizona to so cal then up to seattle and back idaho wyoming and so on. 93 4runner 3.0 with around 140,000 miles on it.
What kind of service should I have done on the truck to ensure it will be running in tip-top shape for the journey?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 PM

so why exactly did you bump a 2 year old thread that you didn't have anything to do with?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of making a new one perhaps? Seems like a good idea to me.

I have to say that a rental car option, while it is a good idea for sake of wear and tear, I would never do it, mainly because if I paid for a car I'm gonna use it how it should be used. Like thousand mile days non-stop (except for gas) at 75.

Our Yota's are pretty damn reliable. I'm sure many can attest to this.

As with what everybody said before, check EVERYTHING. If you don't take of it it will generally show as time goes on. Carry extra stuff. I have a whole 30 gallon tub filled with stuff for emergencies that's always in my truck. For example, i have an ax, a crowbar, a 20 in 1/2 drive ratchet with a set of 6-pt 1/2 drive MM sockets. Ratcheting wrenches, wiring, tape, duct tape, jb-weld, steelex, locktite red and blue, RTV, Hi-Temp RTV, Transmission fluid, brake fluid, oil, coolant, funnels, extra bolts, screwdriver, pliers, wire cutters, gallon of gas, food (like beef jerkey, ect,), gallon of water, tow strap, thing of bungees, tie down straps, 50 ft of climbing rope, twine, wire connectors, hex sockets, fuses, and some other stuff i don't remember. Oh and in the glove box theres a first aid kit, lighter and multi-tool, some hand sanitizer, compass, cards and a pair of dice.

I'm prepared :p

I would def bring JB-weld and steelx. They are lifesaver. I had a leaking gas line and i fixed it using steelx (well its leaking a bit but it lasted 3 months (but 20k)) I would still recommend it.

Whatever happens, life goes on, its not the end of the world. Youll be fine!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 PM

I have a big tub also full of usefulls
Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
I have a big tub also full of usefulls
Smart people think alike. Doesn't it always come in handy on random occasions?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Friends make fun of me when we go camping or to the coast. I always hear " man i wish we had a mallet, saw, air pump, wrench, blah blah blah etc." usually I have what they are looking for either in the tub or under a seat somewhere
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 PM

My GF and her friends make fun of me too.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 AM

Good thread. I love driving cross country. I've done it 4 times and im planning another trip soon. (always in yotas).

I have a few more tips to add:

1. repair manuel, because you might not always have net access when you need to figure something out on the road.

2. hotel or camping guide book. often i want to stop and camp but the area is shady and I'm just not sure if i should stop. This isn't such a big deal these days in "The Garmin Age"

3. spare cash or a credit card. Bad feeling to break down and not have money for an expensive part. Ask me how i know :/

Last edited by Mtn Mike; 09-13-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:00 AM

i drove accross country alone when i was 19.. its fun in a lifted truck. but when i broke down 2 times on the way home i wish i was a little more prepared. definatly get a booster pack with air compresser on it, and bring alot of tools!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks guys, being at ease with my truck on the road will make the difference. I'll post some pictures when I take off.

Quick Reply: Cross Country and back Preparation