Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Crazy Stater

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy Stater

I have a 2000 4runner Limited, the starter won't shut off unless I pull a lead on the battery. It just runs constantly even when the motor is running. I was told it could be a relay and not the starter itself. It started hard the other day, like the battery was low, them just kept running after the engine started. So where should I begin, new starter? and how big of a job will it be, it looks like it could be an all day job, not much room to remove the starter.

Thanks for any help
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cvc42
I have a 2000 4runner Limited, the starter won't shut off unless I pull a lead on the battery. It just runs constantly even when the motor is running. I was told it could be a relay and not the starter itself. It started hard the other day, like the battery was low, them just kept running after the engine started. So where should I begin, new starter? and how big of a job will it be, it looks like it could be an all day job, not much room to remove the starter.

Thanks for any help
It sounds like your starter contacts have welded themselves. It's rare, but does happen to Toyota starters. It's one of the few failure modes that aren't cheap to fix.

First thing I would do is get the battery load-tested, and replaced if required. Optima batteries are a good upgrade. Genesis/Hawk/Oddessey(sp?) batteries are good too.

Once a starter motor runs continuously like that, you should get another one. It will have overheated severely, and it's remaining life is compromised.

For a newer truck like yours I'd recommend getting a reman directly from your Toyota dealership for maximum reliability. If you're on a tight budget, getting a used starter from a wrecking yard, replacing the starter contacts with genuine parts, and installing it would be my 2nd choice. I recommend staying away from your garden variety shmucks rebuilt starters, they're more problems than repairing what you already have.

Swapping a starter on a 3.4 can be a little frustrating the first time, as the space is tight. I always end up turning the starter around several times before I get the farking thing out.

Basic procedure (I'm sure I'm forgetting something):

1. get a new starter from Toyota.
2. disconnect battery
3. jack up front of truck on jackstands and remove r/f tire
4. remove splash guards between frame and inner fender
5. remove two 14mm starter bolts, and the two wires from the starter.
6. on some trucks, removing the upper a/t dipstick tube is helpful. sometimes the manifold heat shield is in the way too. A prybar can help that...or remove it (2 x 10mm nuts)
7. remove the screw holding the brake pipe bracket and gently bend it out of the way
8. pull, turn, twist, until you find the exact orientation required to get the starter out. sometimes it's a real beyotch. take your time. take a 5 min pee break and try again. swear a bit if you like.
9. installation is the reverse of removal procedure.
10. return the starter core to Toyota.

With practice, it takes about an hour to r&r the starter. For a first timer, it will take longer, especially if you've never done a starter r&r before.

Last edited by 86tuning; 09-03-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot for the info,very helpful. I just went out and put the battery cable back on, it now works ???? I will probably just replace the starter anyway, Napa has a rebuit for 188.00. I will check Toyotas price too.

Thanks Again
Old 09-03-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cvc42
Thanks alot for the info,very helpful. I just went out and put the battery cable back on, it now works ???? I will probably just replace the starter anyway, Napa has a rebuit for 188.00. I will check Toyotas price too.

Thanks Again

Yeah the contacts can un-weld themselves. If it has been continuously running for any amount of time, I'd replace with a genuine reman, nothing else.

Good luck!