Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Couple Tacoma Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Couple Tacoma Questions

Hey everyone I'm new. I plan on purchasing a 1995 Tacoma 4x4 fairly soon and have a lot of questions involving it, mainly about tires and lifts. I'm not very intelligent on either, so I'd love help on anything relating to this. Right now I'm leaning towards fitting 32's or 33's on it, with a 2-3 inch lift. I want to try and get the cheapest lift I can, although no lift would be ideal, and after looking I'm thinking that a suspension lift is gonna cost me $300+, but I've found a couple cheap body lifts. Would a body lift even be worth it? And what are your advantages of one over the other? I'm thinking I can probably fit 32's on it without even lifting it, but could I do that with 33's? Or would 32's even work?

Basically these are my plans, I either...

A) If possible, fit 32's on without a lift
B) If possible, fit 33's on it without a lift
C) Lift it 2-3 inches, then fit either 32's or 33's under it

If I decided to fit tires on it without a lift, could I later put a lift on? Or is it better to lift first then fit tires?

One more thing, I found these coil spacers from ebay

Coil Spacers

Would these even work? I know they're cheap, but I'm afraid that I'll have leaf springs on the back. Any suggestions and help would be so appreciated, I really want to get into this and learn as much as possible. Thanks.

Travis

Last edited by TRDtacoma107; 01-27-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Your best bet is to use the function above. That'll help answer all of these questions.

I can tell you without a doubt though from my short time here that 33s will rub on a stock truck if they fit at all.

IMO spacers are a "quick fix" instead of the proper solution and I would say save your money and get a proper suspension lift for the front.

If you're looking at body lifts I wouldn't go over the 1" lift you'll see mentioned here a lot made by RB. Anything more will require modifications to extend lines and other stuff to keep it fitting within the body lift.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:29 PM

TRDtacoma

I was looking at a 95 but i went with the 96 because i found that there was much more in the way of aftermarket parts and mods.
I'm not sure but I think 96 is when they went to the bigger motors and newer suspension.
Good luck on the mods and Welcom to yotatech
Old 01-27-2004, 03:29 PM

2-3" lift for 32's

2-3" lift + BL for 33's
(or 4-6" lift for 33's)

Jim
Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks Jrus and 96RedRacer, I will make sure and keep that in mind. I know the one I'm looking at now has a V6, but not to sure how big of a V6 because I haven't been able to contact the seller yet. I'll definantly know a lot more tonight. I know from looking at aftermarket parts that there is a 95.5 model, and as far as I know I'm not to sure what model the Tacoma I'm looking at is. By the way Tacoma's have leaf springs in the back right? I'm starting to lean towards going to Revtek and gettin' a 3 inch Suspension lift from them, it looks like that is gonna be what is best for it.

Or I could always go back to the 32's

Wow I can tell I'm already gonna like this site...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Just keep in mind that with a 3" lift you can't use it all without tearing up your CVs. Unless the truck you're looking at has manual hubs up front for the 4-wheel drive you might want to leave it at 2-2.5" of lift. To get around that you can do a manual hub conversion or the dif drop 1" spacer or both I suppose. That will allow you to get full use of the 3" lift without all the CV hassle.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not going to repeat anything anyone else has already said - looks like it's been covered.

If you're looking to do a spacer lift then the place to go will be
http://www.geocities.com/cornbredne/Tacoma.html

If you're looking to do a body lift then the place to go will be
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

... everything's got its pros and cons so just be sure to do your reading before you do anything.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:53 PM

You guys are so helpful, thank you...

By the way, I may just be stupid, but what's a CV?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Before anyone bites your head off, I'd suggest that you give the feature some serious consideration.

But I can understand that it'd be harder with CV since there is a 3 letter minimum on the search.

Try this thread - I used "joint" and "angle" as the keywords:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=joint+angle

That should answer your questions. If you do a search on Google or some other search engine on "CV joint" I'm sure you'll run into a good amount of pics.

Very easy to spot once you know what it is.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Actually, here you go...

The item that is being worked on is NOT the CV boot. I'm chose this pic because it'd be easier to make the distinction. The OTHER accordian looking thingy (boot) attached to the wheel is your CV boot.

EDIT-

When you get a chance I suggest that you check out the TECH section.

You can get to it from the main page.
There's a lot of good stuff in there and it'll help you put a visual on it while you're learning. When you do get your truck I'd suggest spending some time under the hood and under the truck. Not touching anything but just seeing where everything goes. I did that with my Tacoma while I was still learning and was able to make the connection with pictures here and where I could remember seeing the same thing on my truck.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 01-27-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:36 PM

that's perfect, the link helped to thanks a ton

Next time I'll remember to search things a bit, I have a feeling people get a tad bit pissed off when you ask an old question on here lol...
Old 01-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Nah... just sometimes gets annoying when people seem to ignore the search recommendation. Sometimes you just gotta beat it into them

You have to understand - some of these questions would be repeated biweekly. I'm learning just like you and it would suck if you felt burned by just a few when this forum is truly an excellent resource with really generous people.

EDIT:
whoops.. before I piss anyone off - when I mentioned "burned by just a few" I didn't mean anyone on this thread. I've seen worse flaming in other separate threads and was referring to those.
Sorry guys

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 01-27-2004 at 06:47 PM.