Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

couple of pictures of my Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couple of pictures of my Runner

[SIZE=3]As a fairly new 4runner owner, i have many plans lined up as funds become available. I have found this forum extremely informative and that's to all have helped me in some of my other posts. At this time I'd like to share a picture of my runner as well as a look at my duplicor painted wheels.

My 4Runner

Painted factory wheel wrapped with some Yokohama Geolander ATs (265/75/16)

Close up of my painted wheel. As you can see, the paint on the center cap is starting to bubble. I will be redoing all the center caps. Fortunately the wheels are holding up. I did this about 3 months ago and the only problem I ran into since then is center caps.

Here is the Duplicolor paint I used. Prior to using this paint, I first removed the factory finish off the wheels. 2nd I cleaned the wheels. 3rd I added about 3 coats of Duplicor self etching primer. finally I added 4 coats of the Duplicolor wheel paint, I chose to go with the graphite color. Other the the center caps I am very satisfied with the results. In fact many people have asked me if I had them powdercoated. They are surprised when i tell them it is a spray paint.

Well that's all I have for now. I will post more as I acomplish new mods. I have many future plans, but as I save $$$ for more toys it may take w little while. Once again many thanks to Yotatech, as there is some much on here that the possiblities are endless.

Last edited by kmchby76; 08-01-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very sweet rims, I like the color!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
like the painted rims
Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 AM

Thanks. The hardest part was actually prepping the wheels. I actually had it a little easy by not having any tires on them at the time. I am very satisfied.

Last edited by kmchby76; 08-01-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

love that colour for your wheels. thinkin of painting mine as well. what did you do to remove the original finish of the wheels? did you blast em or just sand it down?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 AM

Awesome color!

I want to do this as my factory finish is starting to flake.

Did you use a chemical paint stripper to take the OEM finish off? Did you take the tires off, or simply mask them?

Where did you get the paint?

uberhahn
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Love the color!!!!

Aaron
Old 08-01-2006, 11:40 AM

i like it!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=3]I actually had the tires off. I was trying on my brother in law's wheels at the time, so fortunately i had the wheels tireless. I found out his wheels were bent so I decided to touch up my wheels. So, to remove the factory finish, I used one of these on an air grinder,

this made it easy, but watch out for the flying pieces of aluminum. Once I finished that, I cleaned the wheels thoroughly. After they dried, I then used a self etching primer.

I decided to use about 3 coats each. Occassionaly sanding down any rough spots. After the primer was done, I used 4 coats of the duplicolor paint. Just follow the instructions on the back of the can. my paint cure for about 3 days before i had tires installed. I bought all my supplies at Kragen. You'll need 2 cans of each.
COLOR]

Last edited by kmchby76; 08-01-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Do me a favor and for your next mod straighten out your front license plate.. A little pet peeve of mine.. people have a good looking rig and then have a mangled plate, one with the dealership frame all broken around it, or one that is hanging off one screw or zip tied on. Cool wheels!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 AM

^^^thats the right of prepping it, use self-etch primer. i use those primer on a HVLP gun to paint my chrome bumpers.

nice job
Old 08-01-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Do me a favor and for your next mod straighten out your front license plate.. A little pet peeve of mine.. people have a good looking rig and then have a mangled plate, one with the dealership frame all broken around it, or one that is hanging off one screw or zip tied on. Cool wheels!!

I know, the previous owner didn't do much protect the plates, I just haven't gotten around to fixing despite all the time i get caught on it, but definately on my to do list.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 PM

I would love to do that with mine. I don't know if I would ever have the time. Heh, I can't even lift my tires.

Looks REALLY good though. Beats buying new ones. ^-^
Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by profuse007
^^^thats the right of prepping it, use self-etch primer. i use those primer on a HVLP gun to paint my chrome bumpers.

nice job

Thanks, I actually I got the idea awhile back when I read Christian's post. Thanks Christian.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

looks great, i have been thinking about doing this mod for a long time, but the only thing that keeps me from doing it is how well the paint stands up to off road use, will it flake of if the wheel is submerged in mud?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:29 PM

According to the can, it's highly resistant to chipping and solvents, etc. I am new to 4runners and I am not experienced in the off-road world YET. It has survived high tempatures here in CA, and i would assume high heat would be worse than mud. Just a guess. I would recommend it. I am actually considering doing my factory wheels on my 04 Armada.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks great. definetly let us know how they hold up over the next couple of weeks. Id love to do this to mine but dont have the balls to. Id hate for mine to come out like ลลลล. [thread highjack on] If only i could find someone with a set of factory STEEL wheels for sale that i could buy and take my time to do them right!! [thread highjack off]. by the way ur wheels look great and so does ur 4runner. Do you plan on keeping it a street vehicle or do the usual lift and big tires deal?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Just think man....if you would have sent those wheels to me to powder coat....I could put you a fresh coat of this

on them.....talk about "standing out!"
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by RednekYank
looks great. definetly let us know how they hold up over the next couple of weeks. Id love to do this to mine but dont have the balls to. Id hate for mine to come out like ลลลล. [thread highjack on] If only i could find someone with a set of factory STEEL wheels for sale that i could buy and take my time to do them right!! [thread highjack off]. by the way ur wheels look great and so does ur 4runner. Do you plan on keeping it a street vehicle or do the usual lift and big tires deal?

Well I definately plan on a lift. as for the bigger tires, I'm not so sure just yet. I'm not wanting to deal with the off calibration of MPH and MPG. They have held up quit well for the last 3 months for the exception of center caps. We've already had a run of 100+ degree weather and the paint is surviving.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by callmej75
Just think man....if you would have sent those wheels to me to powder coat....I could put you a fresh coat of this

on them.....talk about "standing out!"

I'm not so sure I would do well driving around CA with those reflective colors, but definately a creative touch. But my way only cost me roughlt $30-$40.

Quick Reply: couple of pictures of my Runner