Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A couple of exhaust/muffler questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of exhaust/muffler questions

Hey everyone. So I was browsing through the exhaust sound clips page listening to the clips on there when I came across Jason B.'s clip. After listening to it I immediately thought "damn, that sounds nice" and from then on I knew the Vortex would be one of the mufflers I would get. Only problem though is that I can't find a place that sells them? I've looked on Maremont's site but I could not find any order form of sorts or any kind of catalog listing for the Vortex. All it said was 'OE Replacement Muffler' and some other kind of mufflers. I haven't checked any local exhaust shops yet but I will as soon as I have the money for an exhaust.

Also, how is the interior noise on the Vortex? I should imagine a muffler that sounds like that on the outside would kind of give a highway drone or drone when going up long hills and such.

Flowmaster is something else I've been considering if Vortex is something that I will not be able to come across. For those of you who have Flowmasters on their rigs, what series do you have and how do you like the sound overall? How is the highway drone (if any?). I've been thinking of either the 40 series for the 50 series.

So yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello urusai, I believe you get the Vortex at Meinike Exhaust shops.

Hey, when were you on the exhaust page?
That is hosted from my domain, and I have not been able to reach my page since yesterday afternoon.

I do believe my site went through 10 gigs of info for the past cycle, and my current settings are set for 10 gigs a month.

Looks like I will have to ante up some more $$$ to get my site back up.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Corey
Hello urusai, I believe you get the Vortex at Meinike Exhaust shops.

Hey, when were you on the exhaust page?
That is hosted from my domain, and I have not been able to reach my page since yesterday afternoon.

I do believe my site went through 10 gigs of info for the past cycle, and my current settings are set for 10 gigs a month.

Looks like I will have to ante up some more $$$ to get my site back up.
I was on the exhaust page a few days ago I believe. The Vortex sound byte I saved to my HD though, so that goes to show how much I like the tone of the Vortex. I've noticed though that it has been down since yesterday.

So Meineke is the only place to get it? Anyone know if Meineke ships? There are no stores on this island or this state for that matter.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Re: A couple of exhaust/muffler questions

Originally posted by urusai

Flowmaster is something else I've been considering if Vortex is something that I will not be able to come across. For those of you who have Flowmasters on their rigs, what series do you have and how do you like the sound overall? How is the highway drone (if any?). I've been thinking of either the 40 series for the 50 series.

So yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
My first question is: how loud do you want it.

I asked myself that before I bought my muffler. I didn't want anything that would drone on the freeway and give me a headache. But I did want something that I could hear when I step on the gas. I also didn't want a raspy high pitched sound. I took all of my thoughts to Bountiful Muffler (just outside SLC). They narrowed it down to a Flowmaster 50 series or a Flowmaster 60 series. From what they told me, the 60 series is made for 4 & 6 cyl applications, it cuts out the high raspy sounds and I only hear the low roar.

I ended up buying the 60 series, and I haven't been disappointed! I don't hear it on the freeway (no drone!!) but when I step on the gas, the muffler is just a tad louder than my S/C whine. It sounds great! At idle and in the city it sounds like a V8.