Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Converting to the Newer Generation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Converting to the Newer Generation...

Hello Yotatecher's on the other side of the fence!

I've owned a 91 Toyota Pickup for the past 4 years and I've enjoyed learning all sorts of things about it and really made it my own. I've done almost all the work on it myself and learned a lot about the 3rd gen pickups and that the 3.0 is not as bad of an engine as most think!. Problem is, my family might be adding a member in the near future so an extra cab pickup isn't going to work for us anymore.

I would like to know what you guys think of the 3rd gen 4Runners and how they've worked out for you, specifically the 3.4L engine and 4WD models. I want a vehicle that has 4WD (I frequent snowy areas), has a decently powered engine (no 4-cylinders for me) and is accommodating to a car seat. If you've owned both a 3.0 and a 3.4 engine, I especially would like to hear your thoughts and comparison between the two.

Also, if you have any suggestions for other types of makes or models (dare I say it) that might be better, I'm open to that as well.

I should add that in my area, I could sell my truck for about $4k and buy a 1996+ 4Runner with less miles for about $6k. Not bad.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 01-07-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc

I would like to know what you guys think of the 3rd gen 4Runners and how they've worked out for you, specifically the 3.4L engine and 4WD models. I want a vehicle that has 4WD (I frequent snowy areas), has a decently powered engine (no 4-cylinders for me) and is accommodating to a car seat. If you've owned both a 3.0 and a 3.4 engine, I especially would like to hear your thoughts and comparison between the two.
My last truck was a 1994 Xtra Cab SR5 V6 5-speed. It was a fantastic truck, my only complaint being the fuel economy. I always thought mine was reasonably powered, even with 32" tires, but the key was the 5-speed transmission. I now have a 2000 4Runner with the 3.4 and the 5-speed, and it's even better. Compared to the 3.0, the 3.4 is much simpler to service as it has a fraction of the vacuum lines the 3.0 had, it has 40 hp more and gets several miles per gallon better fuel economy. There's not much to complain about, it's a great motor. I supercharged mine a couple of years ago and the power is pretty impressive.

Compared to my 94 truck, the 4Runner has a better suspension (coil overs in the front vs torsion bars) and of course rear coils as opposed to leaf springs. Mine has also the locking rear differential, which is really nice offroad. As far a downsides, I thought my 94 truck with the sport package had slightly more comfortable seats and I miss the volt meter and oil pressure gauges those trucks had. Otherwise, I wouldn't trade my 3rd gen 4Runner for any other vehicle. You can't really go wrong with any of the models, base, SR5, Limited, etc. There are several 4wd systems from simple transfer cases to multi-mode ones with an awd setting to locking diffs...they all have their merits.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
My last truck was a 1994 Xtra Cab SR5 V6 5-speed. It was a fantastic truck, my only complaint being the fuel economy. I always thought mine was reasonably powered, even with 32" tires, but the key was the 5-speed transmission. I now have a 2000 4Runner with the 3.4 and the 5-speed, and it's even better. Compared to the 3.0, the 3.4 is much simpler to service as it has a fraction of the vacuum lines the 3.0 had, it has 40 hp more and gets several miles per gallon better fuel economy. There's not much to complain about, it's a great motor. I supercharged mine a couple of years ago and the power is pretty impressive.

Compared to my 94 truck, the 4Runner has a better suspension (coil overs in the front vs torsion bars) and of course rear coils as opposed to leaf springs. Mine has also the locking rear differential, which is really nice offroad. As far a downsides, I thought my 94 truck with the sport package had slightly more comfortable seats and I miss the volt meter and oil pressure gauges those trucks had. Otherwise, I wouldn't trade my 3rd gen 4Runner for any other vehicle. You can't really go wrong with any of the models, base, SR5, Limited, etc. There are several 4wd systems from simple transfer cases to multi-mode ones with an awd setting to locking diffs...they all have their merits.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that is very helpful!

Do you know if they made the 5-speed during all years of production? All I have seen so far are auto's and I'm not really too jazzed about switched from a manual to auto transmission due to their maintenance and longevity comparisons.

I am also very intrigued about the supercharger... I read about it a while back. How much did that cost you? Do you have to make any hood modifications or re-arrange the engine bay to make it fit?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
I know my buddy has a 99 and he said it took him months looking for a manual to get one and he worked at a toyota dealer.... Not sure why but I know they are harder to find.

But with a new position I might be taking at my work I will have to dd my truck and I'm not looking forward to it, if I was going to buy a runner I would be happy with an auto.

Atleast the power is there to make an auto plentiful I think an auto in the 22re would be very frustrating anyway good luck with the hunt!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Do you know if they made the 5-speed during all years of production? All I have seen so far are auto's and I'm not really too jazzed about switched from a manual to auto transmission due to their maintenance and longevity comparisons.

I am also very intrigued about the supercharger... I read about it a while back. How much did that cost you? Do you have to make any hood modifications or re-arrange the engine bay to make it fit?
They stopped making 5-speeds mid run--last year was 2000. Same for the 4 cyl. I had a hard time finding a manual back in 1999. '01-'02 were also throttle-by-wire and lower slung due to the Explorer scare.

It has been a fantastic vehicle. In 14 years, I have had to do: battery, tires, shocks/struts, clutch, starter contacts, brake pads, fixed stuck bellcranks, timing belt/water pump, rack and swaybar bushings, O2 sensors, antenna mast plus filters, fluids and plugs. That's it. Oh, the clock is broken (most are). 99+ have some convenience upgrades that are nice (better cupholders, etc.) '99's have a taller suspension than other years. Avoid the Cali. exhaust system, other things being equal, for cheaper maintenance. A manual 'tall'' 49-state '99 with e-locker is the perfect rig IMO and almost impossible to find.

If you look at slushboxes, get informed about the 'pink milkshake' or 'strawberry milkshake' problem; you don't want one of those.

Here is a good thread from a 4Runner forum for you:

3rd Gen 4Runner Buyer's Guide

There is good info on S/C's in there, too.

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-07-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Manuals were available up to (and including) the 2000 model year, 01 and 02 3rd gens are all automatic.

That being said, the manuals are very rare in 3rd gens. You can immediately rule out all the Limited's, they were all automatic, even in 1996. Leaving just the SR5 and base models. I was looking for a manual with a locker, and that's a very rare combination - most of the lockers seem to appear on the fully loaded Limited's (what's another grand on the sticker, check ALL the option boxes!). Not too many people got a lower trim level and got that fairly pricey option.

I used SearchTempest.com to canvas multiple Craigslist areas in a wide area around my hometown, and it took about 4 months of daily searching to finally locate my manual locker no-running board Highlander Edition '99. And even then it was 400 miles away. Well worth the road trip to get it though.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM

The manual is available from 1996-2000. The 2001-2002 model year 3rd gens were automatic only. Sadly, Americans repeatedly choose automatics over manual SUVs, so Toyota made less than 5% of them with the standard transmission. They are out there, though. I have one of the "low trim level SR5's" with the manual transmission and the locking diff that Jomoka describes.

The SC does not require any hood modifications, that's only when you put an SC'd 3.4 in a truck that came with a 3.0. The total SC install takes about 5.5 hours. Cost, for brand new, is $2,500 and if you're at sea level like I am, the $895 URD 7th injector kit takes care of a low rpm pinging problem and high rpm lean out that occurs without it. It's a chunk of change, but where else can you find a reasonably priced, reliable, trail worthy vehicle with 285 horsepower?

There is nothing to move around in the engine bay...here's mine, and as you can see, it looks right at home and is CA smog legal.

Last edited by paddlenbike; 01-07-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

The manual is available from 1996-2000. The 2001-2002 model year 3rd gens were automatic only. Sadly, Americans repeatedly choose automatics over manual SUVs, so Toyota made less than 5% of them with the standard transmission. They are out there, though. I have one of the "low trim level SR5's" with the manual transmission and the locking diff that Jomoka describes.

The SC does not require any hood modifications, that's only when you put an SC'd 3.4 in a truck that came with a 3.0. The total SC install takes about 5.5 hours. Cost, for brand new, is $2,500 and if you're at sea level like I am, the $895 URD 7th injector kit takes care of a low rpm pinging problem and high rpm lean out that occurs without it. It's a chunk of change, but where else can you find a reasonably priced, reliable, trail worthy vehicle with 285 horsepower?

There is nothing to move around in the engine bay...here's mine, and as you can see, it looks right at home and is CA smog legal.
Can I just buy yours? J/K... but not really. But J/K. Or not.

Yeah, I've been looking farther and there are a few manual out there. However, they tend to be more pricey (does that make ANY sense? Manuals are cheaper brand new!). How do you guys feel about the auto transmissions in these 4Runners? On the 2nd gens they start to fail around 200k-250k miles which isn't bad, all things considered but I've got 284k miles on a manual with, obviously, no transmission issues.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 PM

The autos sap a lot of power. A 3.4 auto accelerates about the same as a 3.0 rig with a standard transmission. When I was shopping for a 4Runner I thought something was wrong with the first one I drove (an auto) because I was expecting a lot more out of it. Then I drove more autos and realized that's just how they are. But I'm a definite snob when it comes to transmissions, I am adamant about owning manual transmission vehicles. Reliability-wise, I think the autos are plenty solid.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM

The autos sap a lot of power. A 3.4 auto accelerates about the same as a 3.0 rig with a standard transmission. When I was shopping for a 4Runner I thought something was wrong with the first one I drove (an auto) because I was expecting a lot more out of it. Then I drove more autos and realized that's just how they are. But I'm a definite snob when it comes to transmissions, I am adamant about owning manual transmission vehicles. Reliability-wise, I think the autos are plenty solid.
Shucks, that's what I was afraid of with an auto. Good about reliability, bad about the power. My brother has a 95 Auto 4Runner and I drove it to Fairfield once. Man, that thing is a slug compared to having a manual like mine. I guess the only way I would buy an auto then is if it was so much cheaper to a comparable manual that I could also pick up a supercharger and 7th injector/meth injection kit!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 AM

Only thing to look out for on a 3rd gen automatic is the pink milkshake syndrome. They put a trans cooler in the end tank of the radiator. Eventually, those can start leaking and mixing ATF into the coolant (messy), and coolant into the ATF (kills the trans fairly quickly).

If you get an automatic, installing an external oil cooler is a *very* good preventative measure to take.

I occasionally do searches for 3.4L superchargers on eBay... But so far I've held off. I've got a couple of other 'fun' cars, there's no need to make the 4Runner any faster.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Let me toss this out there. One of the main reasons why I'm looking at this year range of 4Runners is because of the Supercharger. If I get one with around 150k and put the supercharger on it, am I dooming the transmission and engine to a short life? If it's an auto and I do the valve body job, will that make it last?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 4-Runner Limited 91k miles, eastern MA

Biggest complaint I have is the corrosion of the frame and rear diff. If i was aware early enough, I would have steamed and painted them each year as I do my house; still, plenty of life left. the body is in remarkably good condition with only small signs of corrosion! Interior is well preserved. Am on my second set of "chrome" bumpers.
Wish I had 4-wheel disc brakes. Complaint: rear diff does not lock up when switched, one wheel remains "dead" when I am stuck in snow.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM

I am considering the purchase of a 2006-2009 4-Runner as a replacement to my '98.
Can't stand the look of the new generation exterior or interior.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by gene42
Biggest complaint I have is the corrosion of the frame and rear diff. If i was aware early enough, I would have steamed and painted them each year as I do my house; still, plenty of life left. the body is in remarkably good condition with only small signs of corrosion! Interior is well preserved. Am on my second set of "chrome" bumpers.
Wish I had 4-wheel disc brakes. Complaint: rear diff does not lock up when switched, one wheel remains "dead" when I am stuck in snow.
you have to be in 4wheel drive low to used the rear locker .
Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by woodro77
you have to be in 4wheel drive low to used the rear locker .
Unless you do a 5-minute mod. Clip and ground a wire in the driver's footwell and it can be engaged in 4HI and 2HI. ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4...re-mod-195074/ )

Using it in 2HI in snow/dirt/rainy streets can be very entertaining, if you like that sort of thing.

Last edited by Jomoka; 01-14-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by gene42
I am considering the purchase of a 2006-2009 4-Runner as a replacement to my '98.
Can't stand the look of the new generation exterior or interior.
I remember when the 4th gens first came out, I didn't like the looks at all. But over time the design mellowed, it looks pretty decent to me now.

The 4th gen did get significantly larger and heavier than the 3rd gen though, but the styling hides it well. The 5th gen only got a little larger and heavier than the 4th, but was styled to look a lot larger and chunkier.

When you get down to it, though, the MPG didn't really drop from all the added weight, so there's really not much of an issue to it.