Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Complete 3rd Gen 4Runner Suspension thread? Need affordable 1-2"

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete 3rd Gen 4Runner Suspension thread? Need affordable 1-2"

I'm new to this site, and am struggling a little bit finding my way around. I have a 98 4x2 (lame I know, but in Arizona the wife doesn't need 4WD). I am looking for 4 things in a suspension upgrade.

1) I want the slightly higher stance - 1-2 inches to put a slightly bigger tire under.

2) I want a firmer ride - I'm tired of the rear end hitting the bump stops just backing out of my driveway (even after the new shock/struts)

3) I want to be able to use the stock length shocks/struts I just put in 6 months ago.

4) It needs to be affordable and simple - 4 coils installed and its done.

I have seen/read a lot of threads about the PP 1" coils, the OME coils with different numbers that I don't understand, and the '99 "high springs". Some threads are old, some are confusing.. can someone either recommend one set, or link me to the "master thread of small suspension lifts" for my 4Runner so I know how much to save, and where to buy it? Thanks and sorry for bein a Nub on this topic. Im used to leaf springs on my pre-86 Yotas.

Last edited by notjeep; 02-17-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 PM

96-02 4Runner Suspension FAQ

Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 AM

Definitely do a search. This has been discussed quite a bit on these boards and it takes a while to understand it all but a good bit of searching and reading and you will get there. If I were you I would look into getting the OME 881 coils (unless there is a lighter duty OME coil) for the front and the OME 906 coils for the rear. Don't use any topout spacers or anything, just coils only. This should net you about 2" of lift, maybe slightly more since you are 2wd. You can use your stock shocks since it sounds like this is just going to stay on the street??

The next best option I think would be the '99 coils. They won't be quite as stiff as the OME coils but they will be stiffer than your tired coils you have now.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 AM

Sonoran Steel.

IMO, Unless your 4Runner is a '99, go with the 1999 suspension setup.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 AM

Its a 98, and just my wifes truck, so no off-road on this one. I just can't stand the "station wagon" look. On my Tacoma, I put 3 inches under it, and am just running 32's on stock wheels, and think its perfect for street use. Fits in the garage, and I can still pull my race trailer to the track!

Thanks for the link - I knew there had to be one, I just couldn't find it. I would prefer to do the Toyota "lift" springs from the 99, just didn't want them to be as mushy as the ones in there now. I will look into that thread and see what my best options are - thanks for all the help, and for not flaming a new guy that knew the information was here, but couldn't find it! Cheers!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ome 881's and 906's
Old 02-18-2009, 06:15 AM

at risk of being flamed for asking, as I haven't had a chance to read the other thread yet... what are the different numbers I keep seeing on the OME springs? Im assuming spring rates?

I'll flame myself for you!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 AM

The different numbers do mean different spring rates/lift height. For the front, 880's are the lowest and it goes up from there (882's for 3rd Gen's?) and for the rear, 906 is the lowest and goes DOWN (to 890?). Something like that.

To the OP, if you're going to go with OME, get the OME shocks, too. They are made to work with each other. I don't even know if your current front shocks will work with the OME spring. Oh, don't get the "comfort" series shocks if you want a stiffer ride.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 AM

Seriously, I would read the write-ups on the Sonoran steel website. I promise you, the '99 springs will give you an inch of lift and with the Tokico Trekmasters, the ride will not be mushy.

The Old Man Emu springs may be a bit harsh, especially for your wife's vehicle. I have heard that the OME's aren't specifically made for the 4Runner, but rather for the Toyota Prado.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Read what Steve wrties on his website, he knows what he's talking about:

http://www.sonoransteel.com/
Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hereis a link to a 96 4wd 4runner with OME 881 fronts and 906 rears. (scroll to last picture, first pics are 881/890 pics) With the slight lift that you will get from the 881/906 coils you should not need any other mods.

If you like the shocks that you have you can reuse them. You don't HAVE to use OME shocks with their coils.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM

OME 906 out back are awesome..no more hitting bump stops here...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM

I put on some Monroe Sensa-trac shocks and struts as I didn't plan on lifting it... but seeing this website is gettin the juices flowing again. So any of these 99 4wd springs, or OME 881/906 SHOULD work with my crappy (but new) shocks? I will read the links and ask questions if I have some - thanks for all the help!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 AM

OME are not specifically designed for "lift". They are higher compression springs, designed for carrying more weight, thus due to this fact they do end up lifting the truck. If you are looking for cheap, i would go this route (was gonna my self 'til i got my truck). This will achieve all 4 points you are looking to accomplish.

Check out TOYTEC.COM, or WABFAB OFF ROAD.

I just bought a set of spring hangers from the Wabbit and everything was painless and trouble free.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by notjeep
I put on some Monroe Sensa-trac shocks and struts as I didn't plan on lifting it... but seeing this website is gettin the juices flowing again. So any of these 99 4wd springs, or OME 881/906 SHOULD work with my crappy (but new) shocks? I will read the links and ask questions if I have some - thanks for all the help!
Yes the Monroes will work with the 99 or OME coils. I had Monroes on mine for a few weeks but pulled them off because I did not like them, too soft.

I got my OMEs from trdparts4u.com.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 97ltd4x4
OME 906 out back are awesome..no more hitting bump stops here...
What do you have up front?

Any pictures?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 AM

Sorry no pics...I need to take some...Stock front springs w/bilsteins(wont make a diff.)...It gives a mild rake about a 1" .I do have on P275/70R16 size tires and sitting next to my friends 99' limited on flat ground it looks like I have a slight lift all around compared to his.The rake looks really natural with the 906's..like the 4runners should have come from the factory....

And the coolest thing is when I load it up(several hundred lbs.) for traveling/camping it dosen't hardly budge in the rear at all.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 AM

Hello, I have the complete OME setup on my 98 4runner 4x4 limited. I think they are excellent for off road and did give me over 2.5"- 2.75" of lift. I have a TJM-15 bumper so it dropped my front a bit so I had to add a cornfed spacer to make up for it. I was very happy with my lift until my wife started complaining that it is too high and don't like the rough ride that some of us like. So now I am looking into going back to stock but with something to replace them with similar to stock. It's been a while but I've lost interest and have kids that don't like the rough ride either. Anyone interested in buying my setup is welcome to ask. I'm in San Diego. I can't remember what exact models I have but it was a combination of comfort and medium. I have OME coils and shocks all around and 2 cornfed spacers up front, can't remember the height of those either, possibly 1.5 or 2". Total costed me about $800 about 3 years ago. I don't do any off roading and only for show. I don't know when I will be parting with these but when I get some stock setup, then I can get them off and put them for sale. I need some opinions on what setup to get for a stock height. I will need coils and shocks all around since I no longer have my stock, plus they were already dying. If anyone can recommend some please chime in.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 AM

superduper,

I would do the 99 coils with tokico trekmasters.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 AM

I am about to order the 881s and firm valve for the front. For the rear, I thought I would do the 906s with the firm valve but the classic "4runner" rear sag has effected me over the years and I"m thinking I should do the 890s in the rear. Will this put too much of a "rake" look? If it doesn't look too bad and will likely settle over time, I think I may do this. However, if there is nothing to worry about with the 906s, I will stick with those.

I won't be carrying much of a load all the time except for my golf clubs and a few odds and ends here and there. I will also pull a trailer with a lighweight race car 3-4 times per year. I'm stuck on this fence..Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jusilver
I am about to order the 881s and firm valve for the front. For the rear, I thought I would do the 906s with the firm valve but the classic "4runner" rear sag has effected me over the years and I"m thinking I should do the 890s in the rear. Will this put too much of a "rake" look? If it doesn't look too bad and will likely settle over time, I think I may do this. However, if there is nothing to worry about with the 906s, I will stick with those.

I won't be carrying much of a load all the time except for my golf clubs and a few odds and ends here and there. I will also pull a trailer with a lighweight race car 3-4 times per year. I'm stuck on this fence..Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance!
I'm running the 881/890 and I'm 2" taller in the rear. So there is a bit of a rake which is why I'm going with the 882 upfront.

Quick Reply: Complete 3rd Gen 4Runner Suspension thread? Need affordable 1-2"