Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

comments on lift idea??

Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comments on lift idea??

maybe its been done?? maybe not??
hard to search on this idea so i will post a new thread with hopefully no frowns from you all...

my lift idea: (on my 2000 limited edition 4-runner; no it does not have the rear diff locker option)
3" coils all around - 882's (med duty)
1.5" rear spacers
--question is... will this work in the rear??? or is it just down right stupid??
-i am not a fan of body lifts but will resort if it is the better option as far as un-ness stress to the drivetrain.
-i am going for a lifted rear-end look, i particularly like the raised (1"-1.5") rear-end look. (no i will not put bigger tires in the back - i am not that "wild" about it)
-i will do a body lift but wld want to do (from the rear to the front) a 2" 1.5" 1" and 0" (my understanding there are 4 install positions on a body lift.

another wonder:
will i need to use extended rear shocks ??
longer brake lines ??

thanks for any input - i take constructive criticism well

i am new to 4runners (with MUCH enthusiasm)
other ride: 75 IH Scout

-i am a regular traveler of flint hills off-road trails... low water crossings, rock ledges, mud, sand, ravines etc.

Last edited by allison; 01-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I'm running about 6" of rear lift without any major modifications, and it works great....

I'd get some land cruiser shocks and land cruiser coils for the rear though, rather than a spacer and a coil.... the stock FJ80 springs are way cheaper and much better IMO. LC coils will give you about 4" of lift.

You'll also want to get an adjustable panhard (trac-bar) from www.sonoransteel.com to re-center the axle after lifting.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Med. duty 882's probably will not net you 3 inches. More like 2.5. As for the rear, I would just keep it level with the front. Going over 3 inches in the rear means you should relocate the track bar, to keep the rear square with the front especially if you wheel it. New shocks will be needed too.
hope it helps!

Doh!! Beat me too it.

Last edited by AppleJack; 01-17-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 AM

much thanks to your replies. great info. i will look into the LC coils...

SC4Runner : awesome 96 SR5. my husband wants me to put these accessories on my 2000 Limited.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by allison
my lift idea: (on my 2000 limited edition 4-runner; no it does not have the rear diff locker option)
3" coils all around - 882's (med duty)
1.5" rear spacers
--question is... will this work in the rear??? or is it just down right stupid??
-i am not a fan of body lifts but will resort if it is the better option as far as un-ness stress to the drivetrain.
-i am going for a lifted rear-end look, i particularly like the raised (1"-1.5") rear-end look. (no i will not put bigger tires in the back - i am not that "wild" about it)
-i will do a body lift but wld want to do (from the rear to the front) a 2" 1.5" 1" and 0" (my understanding there are 4 install positions on a body lift.

another wonder:
will i need to use extended rear shocks ??
longer brake lines ??

thanks for any input - i take constructive criticism well

i am new to 4runners (with MUCH enthusiasm)
other ride: 75 IH Scout

-i am a regular traveler of flint hills off-road trails... low water crossings, rock ledges, mud, sand, ravines etc.
I would not put 882s in the front unless you have a winch and aftermarket bumper.
You don't want lift coils AND spacers in the rear...pointless.
You can't do a body lift with different size thickness pucks from front to back.
You will need longer shocks and longer brake lines are cheap insurance.
Also consider a differential drop and a panhard drop bracket/bar.

This was my 00 4Runner with a 3" OME lift and a 2" body lift:

Check out my website for 96-02 4Runner lift parts:
http://www.wabfab.org/96024Runner/96024Runner.htm

Email/PM if you have any questions.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 AM

i've had diff ideas come and go with the lift I want. what i am sitting on now is the rear FJ80 coil springs and LC shocks (prob adjustable) and the front bj spacers.

out of curiosity wabbit:
"You can't do a body lift with different size thickness pucks from front to back."
-because...??
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by allison
out of curiosity wabbit:
"You can't do a body lift with different size thickness pucks from front to back."
-because...??
Geometry. The pucks would stair step down parallel to the horizon and the body of your 4Runner would be on a diagonal with the horizon.

Physics. The loading would be unevenly distributed on the body mounts contrary to design and probably lead to stress risers in the body panels over time.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Geometry. The pucks would stair step down parallel to the horizon and the body of your 4Runner would be on a diagonal with the horizon.

Physics. The loading would be unevenly distributed on the body mounts contrary to design and probably lead to stress risers in the body panels over time.

plus you would put all the load on one side of the body lift pucks which would wear them out in a hurry... this is on top of whatever stresses you would put on the body and the horrible squeaking that would most likely come from this terrifically uneven setup. Moral of the story: its a terrible idea. If you want a bit of a high rear look, do what I did... 881s up front, 890s in the rear, and trekkmasters all around. It drives better than stock, looks good, and wheels with the best of them.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 PM

thank you.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 AM

882's aren't a bad choice for the front lift. They gave me right at 3" of lift and haven't sagged at all over the past 6 months they've been installed. They're a relatively stiff spring though and will require the use of OME shocks (N91SC comfort valved was my choice). Stock length shocks don't extend far enough to fit the longer springs...believe me, I tried! And, with anything over 2" of front lift, install a diff drop kit as cheap insurance for the CV's.

Also, I used the shorter Land Cruiser coils in the rear, which have sagged to ~3.75" of rear lift. Check out my car domain page in my signature for some good pics. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 PM

thanks again!!
i do appreciate your feedback. and the ideas.
the body lift was a very last resort and were not in my blueprints... thanks for the save.

3rd gen 4runners are really a whole diff world... well when your used to an IH.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:40 PM

I would not put 882s in the front unless you have a winch and aftermarket bumper.
You don't want lift coils AND spacers in the rear...pointless.
You can't do a body lift with different size thickness pucks from front to back.
You will need longer shocks and longer brake lines are cheap insurance.
Also consider a differential drop and a panhard drop bracket/bar.

This was my 00 4Runner with a 3" OME lift and a 2" body lift:

Check out my website for 96-02 4Runner lift parts:
http://www.wabfab.org/96024Runner/96024Runner.htm

Email/PM if you have any questions.

whats the specs on the wheels b.s. and tires??
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M threezy
whats the specs on the wheels b.s. and tires??
Been a while but I think those were 285/75/16 GY MTRs on 16" black steelies w/ 4" BS...but don't quote me on it.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
always wondered what the wabbit dwove-that is a good looking ride ...

is your back end raked or is just the driveway angle accentuating it?

allison-for lift advice read the sonoran steel website FAQ section of 96-02 Runners there is a wealth of info.

The Land Cruiser coil option is one that many heavy duty wheelers run out here and the bugs seems to be worked out. Compare and contrast the many many options available and the prices...

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 01-24-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: questions require that special little mark