Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Colorado exhaust law?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado exhaust law?

I just had a Magnaflow installed on my 00 Taco. I had them put a turn-down right before the rear axle. Someone on the forum mentioned this was illegal in some states (something about the tailpipe having to come past the rear axle and shoot out the side). Anyone know if a turn-down before the rear axle is legal here in Colorado?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

I have a few friends that have this type of exhaust around here, so I am not sure. They havent gotten any flak for it as far as I know.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

The exhaust must exit behind the rear axle if it did so from the factory but then again you're getting this answer from somebody who ran a straight pipe in their Eclipse for 7 years and just swapped a cat in to pass emissions.

Last edited by X-AWDriver; 02-23-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

In all honesty, I don't think it will be a problem unless your exhaust is REALLY loud and the cop wants to nickel and dime you. I think the law is in place to minimize the chances of exhaust fumes seeping in through the floor during idle, which could expose you and your passengers to carbon monoxide.

My other concern, as mentioned in your other thread, was with smog stations. Most just plug into the OBD port and check for a check engine light. However, I have had to go on the roller once here in my Civic. They also have probes they stick in your exhaust, and if nothing is coming out (since you left the stock section in) they are gonna be suspicious.

If you really wanted to, you could just drive down to a smog check station and ask one of them. I doubt they will remember you in the future.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Colorado, my impression thus far, is that if it has an engine, tires and a headlight, it is street legal.

I really doubt you will get nailed for this, if it is even illegal at all.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Source: Colorado Statutes : TITLE 42 VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : ARTICLE 4 REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : PART 2 EQUIPMENT : 42-4-225. Mufflers - prevention of noise.

42-4-225. Mufflers - prevention of noise.
Statute text
(1) Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.

(1.5) Any commercial vehicle, as defined in section 42-4-235 (1) (a), subject to registration and operated on a highway, that is equipped with an engine compression brake device is required to have a muffler.

(2) A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chamber or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and effective in reducing noise.

(3) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits a class B traffic infraction. Any person who violates subsection (1.5) of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of five hundred dollars. Fifty percent of any fine for a violation of subsection (1.5) of this section occurring within the corporate limits of a city or town, or within the unincorporated area of a county, shall be transmitted to the treasurer or chief financial officer of said city, town, or county, and the remaining fifty percent shall be transmitted to the state treasurer and credited to the highway users tax fund.

(4) This section shall not apply to electric motor vehicles.

History
Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2260, § 1, effective January 1, 1995. L. 97: (4) added, p. 393, § 2, effective August 6. L. 2000: (1.5) added and (3) amended, p. 1100, § 1, effective August 2.

Annotations
Editor's note: This section was formerly numbered as 42-4-222 and the former section 42-4-225 was relocated to section 42-4-228.

Annotations
ANNOTATION

Annotations
Am. Jur.2d. See 7A Am. Jur.2d, Automobiles and Highway Traffic, § 230.

C.J.S. See 60 C.J.S., Motor Vehicles, § 46.

And if you have any other vehicle equipment related questions for Colorado, you can click HERE.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
In Colorado, my impression thus far, is that if it has an engine, tires and a headlight, it is street legal.

I really doubt you will get nailed for this, if it is even illegal at all.

Thanks for the posts especially the last one straight from State. I'm actually going to agree on this one. My buddy who lives here in Boulder took three post-82 cars in for emissions tests all which had the cats cut off. Can you believe that? ALL three of the vehicles didn't have cats and were passed by the emissions peeps! I think you're right... if it has "wheels or tits you're gonna have problems".... oh wait... wrong quote.... "if it has an engine, tires and a headlight, it is street legal" Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Phssthpok
And if you have any other vehicle equipment related questions for Colorado, you can click HERE.
Wow... "No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle"... I have heard at least a dozen or so cars in the past week with MUCH louder exhaust systems. I highly doubt my 18" mangaflow will cause an issue. I love the way they are sooo serious but don't enforce it. But in any case... emissions time will be in a year or so. You'll hear back from me ranting or raving about it. Thanks for all the posts!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never had to sweat emmissions, but I have pulled up to gas stations in Buena Vista and Grand Junction where I was fueling next to tube buggies that just drove in and drove out on the road.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:13 PM

Oh... here's the exhaust deal I was concerned about. Posted this pic a few days ago....

Old 02-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We've got an old scout, and when my bro ripped the exhaust pipes off at Wheeler lake, we ran them out the sides, in front of the rear axle. Got pulled over with no problem. Also, i've seen old fords, and some muscle cars around here with pipes in front of the axle. As for being under the car, you've got a taco, so your pipe is coming out under the bed anyway, not the cab, so fumes shouldn't be a problem
Old 02-23-2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
In all honesty, I don't think it will be a problem unless your exhaust is REALLY loud and the cop wants to nickel and dime you. I think the law is in place to minimize the chances of exhaust fumes seeping in through the floor during idle, which could expose you and your passengers to carbon monoxide.

My other concern, as mentioned in your other thread, was with smog stations. Most just plug into the OBD port and check for a check engine light. However, I have had to go on the roller once here in my Civic. They also have probes they stick in your exhaust, and if nothing is coming out (since you left the stock section in) they are gonna be suspicious.

If you really wanted to, you could just drive down to a smog check station and ask one of them. I doubt they will remember you in the future.
Here in CO they have to go on the rollers and hook the thing up to the exhaust if you live in the Denver counties and Boulder county. I've been hasseled a couple of times at these stations with my old GTi. They wouldn't allow me to run because the car was lowered and didn't have the stock wheels on it. I think you'll probably be alright as long as the guys can reach the tailpipe to hook up the hose or whatever it is.
Austin