Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Color of remote wire on factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color of remote wire on factory head unit

Anybody know what the color of the remote wire on the back of the factory head unit is. Or does anyone have a diagram of the wiring harness. For some reason Toyota doesn't use standard color coding for their stereo equipment, making it really difficult to figure anything out. I appreciate the help.
-Ray
Old 03-28-2004, 04:42 PM
CTB

I thought the remote turn on wire was usually blue, but that may not be correct. Better wait for a few more people to post to confirm...
Old 03-28-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rayday81
Anybody know what the color of the remote wire on the back of the factory head unit is. Or does anyone have a diagram of the wiring harness. For some reason Toyota doesn't use standard color coding for their stereo equipment, making it really difficult to figure anything out. I appreciate the help.
-Ray
...how long have you been installing? no manufacturer has ever used MERA colors on any factory radio nor supplied a separate "remote" wire for use on an aftermarket amp. Youll have to use the ignition wire that goes into the deck-- in most toyotas its grey.--- what year make, model might help a little too since the colors change every body style and with some trim packages.

T
Old 03-29-2004, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either solid blue or blue with a white stripe.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Duffdog
...how long have you been installing? no manufacturer has ever used MERA colors on any factory radio nor supplied a separate "remote" wire for use on an aftermarket amp. Youll have to use the ignition wire that goes into the deck-- in most toyotas its grey.--- what year make, model might help a little too since the colors change every body style and with some trim packages.

T
I agree, you will have to use the ignition wire.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Churnd
Either solid blue or blue with a white stripe.
First off, its a '99 Tacoma.
I started this project yesterday. In order to run an aftermarket amp you have to tap into the speaker outputs and run a interface to convert get RCA outputs. I got the interface and located the speaker outputs which I will tap into this afternoon, when I get out of work. The problem I was having was figuring out which wire is the remote turnarournd which I need to tap into also. I do know of the grey wire and the blue w/ stripe. You say it is the blue w/ stripe that I tap into? Anyone done this that can give me a thumbs up to tap into this blue wire. Thanks
Old 03-29-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, its a '99 Tacoma.
I started this project yesterday. In order to run an aftermarket amp you have to tap into the speaker outputs and run a interface to convert get RCA outputs. I got the interface and located the speaker outputs which I will tap into this afternoon, when I get out of work. The problem I was having was figuring out which wire is the remote turnarournd which I need to tap into also. I do know of the grey wire and the blue w/ stripe. You say it is the blue w/ stripe that I tap into? Anyone done this that can give me a thumbs up to tap into this blue wire. Thanks
I shoulda looked at your sig before posting. The blue wire I'm talking about is for my '94. So I don't know if it's the same for your Tacoma.

Just found this: Toyota Radio Wiring. Maybe that'll help some. If the color still don't match up to the colors on that site, just compare them to the connector and find out which one you're looking for.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't personally tap into that blue wire. That sounds like the antenna wire. Remember when hooking up an aftermarket amp, the wire they usually use for the remote is blue, but when you're tapping into a remote on a factory deck, that doesn't automatically mean it's blue as well. I'm thinking it's probably the grey wire (ignition wire) and not the blue. If you're installing an aftermarket amp, why don't you just run a seperate remote wire off the amp and tap into a fuse that comes on with the vehicle, such as the ignition fuse. I know it's not the ideal setup, but at least it would work.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Go buy a test light ($1.99) and then see what wire is hot when you turn the key to on.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Well I know that the grey wire is the ignition wire. So I take a remote wire from the aftermarket amp to the grey ignition wire right. Hmm, I think that is what i'm going to try this afternoon (crossing fingers). The rest I think I have figured out. If anyone has anything else to add I'm taking suggestios.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:31 PM

I had a post about this also, I had found a link somewhere that had all the colors and confirmed it with Crutchfield. I had a 97 4runner with the in dash 3cd changer with seperate amp. I cant find the link or my paperwork for some reason but I do believe it was a pink wire with a blue stripe. That was the remote for the factory amp and did not turn off if radio was off. Ill look and see if I can verify. The color may be different for you.

ok, I found my papers, it was a pink wire with a blue stripe on my toyota. I think I also found it by using this diagram, I think it was power antenna wire 2 that is the one that is used for amps and is not switched off when you play cd or tape. http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

This one is also helpful but it doesnt show the colors just the location of the wires in the wireharness of 5 common toyota radios, then you can locate it and see what color it actually is. http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Toyota1.htm

Do we want to permanently post these sites? Maybe the moderator can do it for us?

Good luck!

Last edited by skshepherd; 03-29-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Well I know that the grey wire is the ignition wire. So I take a remote wire from the aftermarket amp to the grey ignition wire right. Thanks.
That's what I did for the amp in my Celica.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
{pardon the hijack}

Hey Ray...

Can you please read your private messages? There are a couple of people that have been trying to get ahold of you for a while now.

Thanks

Mark