See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Color Effecting Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color Effecting Resale Value

I know that discussions on color of a vehicle can quickly get into personal taste and can be very subjective but I was wondering if anyone has any information on how color can effect the resale value of a vehicle.

What sparked this question was another post where there is a 4Runner for sale with a low asking price and one of the reasons for the low price is that the color is Anthricite (gray). I know that the new Tundra DC advertisements are pushing the gray version of the truck. Is Toyota missing something and showing a now not-desirable color.

I am looking at replacing the '91 Runner and was looking at getting a white or gray Toyota. Part of my enjoyment I get is having a truck that will retain it's value....however, if a color is going to limit that value that can have a negative impact on my enjoyment over time. Also, are there any positives or negatives on these colors?

Any thoughts on this?
David
Old 01-14-2004, 08:52 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i know when my sister was selling her CRV, she had dealers calling her up when they saw her autotrader ad.. because it was red and red was apparently an 'in-demand' color.

when a 2nd dealer called, my sister told him that another dealer was also interested. he immediately rose the asking price 500 dollars.

so, yes, it does have an effect. whether its something that is measured on, say, kbb.com's menus, is another question.

the difference is in the subjectivity... if a color is considered desireable at that moment, you will indeed get more money.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Color has an enormous effect on resale value. In my experience from buying and selling between 2-4 new and used cars per year, I'd place color third only to model and mileage for resale value. Depending on where you live, color may even be second or first.

Toyota studies exterior and interior color sales trends closely. From color sales velocity data, they order 90-120 days in advance for each geographic region. My regions model, color and equipment orders are substantially different from, say, Florida orders. Future vehicle colors, 1-2 years out, are another arcane study altogether, but can be seen on auto show prototypes. Some look questionable today, but wind up mainstream.

It used to be that red, white or black were the safest colors to buy for resale. That changed in the 90's with the popularity of lighter shades of silver that continues today. Silver commands about a 5% resale premium in the Pacific Northwest, and will sell much faster than any other color. My '03 Titanium (Silver) sold for all the money in two days, largely due to color and specialized equipment (air suspension).

If you don't care about color and want the best deal, look for a green or blue 4Runner. But, you'll take a hit on resale. You'll be safest with silver or white. Not making any kind of judgment, I actually like the Emerald Green Pearl, just pointing out reality from experience. As always, my 2¢.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:35 AM
lee
Contributing Member

ew, white. for some reason, i could never own a white car.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 AM

I just did a search on Google and found a site that gave recommendations for Fleet purchasing. The idea was to give guidlelines that would allow the vehicles in the fleet to have high potential for resale after the fleet use. They mentioned that white was a safe color that historically had higher resale value.

I have never owned a white vehicle. I think they (like the silver) look crisp especially when the windows are tinted dark because of the contrast and the lighter colors show the lines of the vehicle better. What are the drawbacks of white? The obvious things would be looking dirty, with pollen or road grim. Anything else?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota white doesn't have clearcoat, silver does.

About the fleet color study, I'd have to ask "compared to what?". Often, fleet buyers are restricted in their selection process to white and a couple of other colors alone. They usually pick white because it stays cleaner looking than a darker color, is said to be "safer" due to increased visibility in low light conditions and is easier to match after repairs than any metallic. What other color choices were in the study?

About the only downside to white is that, like red, it seems to suit smaller vehicles a bit better than larger ones, and that it could be mistaken for a fleet vehicle! Entirely my subjective opinion alone. I've owned a white 4Runner ('88 SR5 V-6 5M/T) and think it's a great choice for a mid-sized SUV. Nobody mistook mine for a fleet vehicle with the lightly tinted windows and oversized tires, either!

For a more definitive answer I'd call the used car manager at your biggest Toyota store nearby, and backup with another call to a rental car outlet with Toyotas at the airport and ask their opinions about best colors for 4Runner resale.

Last edited by BT17R; 01-14-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On edmunds.com you'll notice that they adjust for color when you're looking at used car prices. Not sure where they get their data from. Just .02
Old 01-14-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

Having worked in Toyota's Certified Dept, color does make a difference. While there are some national trends, there are some local trends too that can have an effect on resale value. Ultimately though, its up to the consumer and what he/she is willing to spend for the color they want.

Silver as Bob said, is the most popular now these days. The safe colors he mentioned are popular too.

IMHO, stay away from the colors that are "trendy". When I was buying a Civic EX in the early 90s, this Teal Green color was very popular w/ Civic owners (esp women). When i see it now, I just laugh b/c I have visions of Tubbs and Crockett from Miami Vice.

Bob
Old 01-14-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by BT17R
Toyota white doesn't have clearcoat, silver does.

Bob: Are you mentioning this as a negative or a positive? I could see it being a positive where the clear adds protection to the silver. Or is a negative for the white where there is no protection and will turn chaulky if not maintained?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

It's a neutral if properly maintained, a negative otherwise. After initial polish, I wax my non-clearcoated Toyotas about every 3-4 months, clearcoated every 5-6, but they're parked in a garage. If a non-clearcoated vehicle is parked uncovered outside, and/or in a harsh environment like marine, airport, or heavy industrial, then I'd be waxing every 2-3 months, polishing every other time. Clearcoated or not, I apply wax in two coats a week apart.

Last edited by BT17R; 01-14-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:15 PM

I agree that color makes a big difference. I have always really liked gray on vehicles. I don't know much about trends, but it seems that every other "new" mustang I see around here is dark grey. So grey's a good, or upcoming color I suppose. As long as it's not Teal I think you'll be alright!!!!

Last edited by lcopelan22; 01-14-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:54 AM
funglenn

Depending on where you live, I would never get white. In addtion to the fleet issue, If it snows, you just blend into the snow, helping you get into an accident. I know I used to hate white cars when I lived in Boston.

What do people think about the gold toyotas? They have been making gold 4Runners since the second generation. I used to drive a gold 2gen and now I have a gold 3rd gen.

Gold and Silver are also good because they help hide dirt, my dad's silver Camry looked clean until you ran you finger across the hood, showing the car was actually a much lighter shade of silver!