Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

collision/insurance question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry collision/insurance question?

so was in a collision a while ago, hit a pole then was rear ended, well insurance isnt paying front, rightfully so, but rear bumper was mangled, they wrote me a checkf or 190, but i havent caashed it or signed anything. While lookin @ bed after snow melted bumper bracked piveted on one bolt and punctured the bed and the bed is off center. I can fight my hand between cab and bed on one side, and on the other side i cant even get a finger in there, and its off center about 1/2 inch?

heres the question? anyone know what insurance will do? how much is it to fix bed? i figured they have to replace all the mounts on the bed since its so off center? how long does that take labor wise?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slustan
so was in a collision a while ago, hit a pole then was rear ended, well insurance isnt paying front, rightfully so, but rear bumper was mangled, they wrote me a checkf or 190, but i havent caashed it or signed anything. While lookin @ bed after snow melted bumper bracked piveted on one bolt and punctured the bed and the bed is off center. I can fight my hand between cab and bed on one side, and on the other side i cant even get a finger in there, and its off center about 1/2 inch?

heres the question? anyone know what insurance will do? how much is it to fix bed? i figured they have to replace all the mounts on the bed since its so off center? how long does that take labor wise?
It may just be a matter of loosening the bed mounts a little, push it back into place, and tighten them back up. Most insurance companies will pay more if you find more damage later. They just write a supplement.

My BMW got hail damage last year. The first check was for $5200. By the time it was all repaired they had written supplements for another $4000. I figure they purposely write the first estimate low because a lot of people just take the money and don't get the repairs made. If I had done that they would have saved $4000 on my claim.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-12-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't sign anything until you are happy. If you agree to a settlement, then the case is closed.

If the bed replacement is more than half of the vehicles value...they might want to total it. I don't know what you have, but if it's old....that may be the case.

Get an estimate and then talk to the insurance.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:03 PM

To help answer your question regarding insurance you might want to provide the following info:

1. Whose insurance is paying, your's or the person who rear ended you?
2. Do you have comprehensive and collision coverage in addition to liability insurance?
3. What kind of truck do you have, what year, short or long bed?

You should be compensated for the cost of having OEM body parts as well as labor to return your vehicle to it's pre-accident condition
Old 01-13-2005, 09:21 AM

92 4wd SR5 extended cab. just talked to the insurance adjuster. He came over my house, the bracket punctured the bed and pivoted on one of the mounting bolts and crushed the crossover on the bottom of the bed.from what i can tell it pulled the bed back. I also hit a pole right before i was rearended, it was really icey and he says the bed is out of alignment from the front end. My reasoning here is if i hit the pole hard enough to knock the cab into the bed, why would my doors open and close perfectly and still line up perfectly? It truely seems like common sense isnt that common in the insurance industry, or atleast for this guy. The amazing part is, where the gap is larger between the bed and the cab is the on the side of the front end collision was? how does that even make sense? it would seem to me that the gap there would be SMALLER, not larger, i havent signed anytihng, im going to see what they offer me and if not im filing a complaint with the state department of insurance because this is ridculous.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by firemedic
To help answer your question regarding insurance you might want to provide the following info:

1. Whose insurance is paying, your's or the person who rear ended you?
2. Do you have comprehensive and collision coverage in addition to liability insurance?
3. What kind of truck do you have, what year, short or long bed?

You should be compensated for the cost of having OEM body parts as well as labor to return your vehicle to it's pre-accident condition
1. Hers

2. No, no comprehensive, thats why im bein a pain in the @ss, its my right to be, i want it fixed properly, he was talking just about patching the hole, i told him if i wanted to run a bead with a welder and paint over it i would have done it by now

3. might have posted b4, 1992 p/u ex-cab 4wd sr5. just passed 90,xxx miles and was cherry until a month ago.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by slustan
92 4wd SR5 extended cab. just talked to the insurance adjuster. He came over my house, the bracket punctured the bed and pivoted on one of the mounting bolts and crushed the crossover on the bottom of the bed.from what i can tell it pulled the bed back. I also hit a pole right before i was rearended, it was really icey and he says the bed is out of alignment from the front end. My reasoning here is if i hit the pole hard enough to knock the cab into the bed, why would my doors open and close perfectly and still line up perfectly? It truely seems like common sense isnt that common in the insurance industry, or atleast for this guy. The amazing part is, where the gap is larger between the bed and the cab is the on the side of the front end collision was? how does that even make sense? it would seem to me that the gap there would be SMALLER, not larger, i havent signed anytihng, im going to see what they offer me and if not im filing a complaint with the state department of insurance because this is ridculous.
ask for an independant adjuster to look at the damage if you believe you deserve additional compensation.

if that doesnt work, a lawsuit against the insurance co. is an option.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:23 PM

yeah, they had an "independant adjuster" come out already, i might have to go with the lawsuit/ attorney general.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

talk to your insurance company before you file a suit, they might help you.