Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Colder Bosch or NGK Spark Plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colder Bosch or NGK Spark Plugs??

I'm about to install my supercharger, and I'm trying to get all my additional parts that I'll need to install at the same time. I can't decide which spark plugs are going to be the best for my application. I'm going to be running the SS FTC1-E, larger injectors, and Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump. I've been told that 1-2 steps colder plugs work best. So, after searching the NGK and Bosch web sites, here's what I've found that fits our vehicles:

Bosch
- Platinum+4 #4418
- Platinum2 #4301
- Platinum #4202
- Super #7557

NGK
- Standard #3967
- Platinum #4302
- G-Power
- Laser Platinum
- VX Platinum

Which one would be best? Also, will replacing my wire set be necessary also? Which should I buy, Bosch or NGK's wire sets??

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 04:33 AM

Chris:

I run Denso 1 step cooler Iridium plugs model #IK20 and Magnacor 8mm wires in my 2000 4 Runner with supercharger. I would skip the Bosch and stay with Japanese parts such as the Denso or NGKs. 1 or 2 step cooler works. TRD suggested to me the 1 step cooler, but I also don't have all the fuel mods your seeking.

Paul :fireman:
Old 01-14-2003, 06:18 AM

Here are the three NGK plugs that have been run by a number of people using the SC. In general I have not heard of anyone having any problems using the 2 steps cooler plugs and a lot of people seem to be migrating toward them. I am currently running the triple electrode and haven't seemed to have any problems yet, although I'm not sure if I would be able to recognize knock if it was happening.

NGK BKR7EVX11 pn- 4685 Single electrode, 2 steps cooler

NGK BKR6EKPB11 TRD Single electrode, 1 step cooler

NGK BCPR7ET Gadget pn- 2164 3 electrode, 2 steps cooler
Old 01-14-2003, 06:33 AM

I'm using the 1-step colder Iridium Plugs (Part# BKR6EIX-11)
Old 01-14-2003, 04:37 PM

Thanks guys! I love all the comments, but I don't like confusion either, do you? I would like to hear some more comments from other people too! Thanks!

Chris
Old 01-16-2003, 06:35 AM

Here's a message from NGK on the differences in spark plugs.

"If their increasing fuel, a two step cooler spark plug will foul. If their leaning then a two step may be required. The dual ground style that I recommended is designed for anti fouling. A three ground style is great for longevity, however will hinder flame growth in the combustion chamber. The information I'm giving you is based on information I have obtained from a good friend who is an engineer for TRD. Also remember every vehicle is different and subjected to different situations and weather. The reason for the colder spark plugs is to prevent preignition and detonation of the fuel due to higher cylinder temps. The main problem is in the ECU however they are unable to solve the issue. It's up to you the tuner to decide which spark plug will work best. I'm not there to determine this. I'm providing you with info based on what I know and what TRD knows."

We are increasing fuel, right? If I'm not mistaken this is saying that two steps colder might not be the best nor the 3 prong plugs either. Am I right in saying this? I've heard a lot of people say that they do run the two steps colder plug with nor trouble, even the three prong 2 step colder plugs, which is not what they recommend, do they?

Chris
Old 01-16-2003, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Here's a message from NGK on the differences in spark plugs.

"If their increasing fuel, a two step cooler spark plug will foul. If their leaning then a two step may be required. The dual ground style that I recommended is designed for anti fouling. A three ground style is great for longevity, however will hinder flame growth in the combustion chamber. The information I'm giving you is based on information I have obtained from a good friend who is an engineer for TRD. Also remember every vehicle is different and subjected to different situations and weather. The reason for the colder spark plugs is to prevent preignition and detonation of the fuel due to higher cylinder temps. The main problem is in the ECU however they are unable to solve the issue. It's up to you the tuner to decide which spark plug will work best. I'm not there to determine this. I'm providing you with info based on what I know and what TRD knows."

We are increasing fuel, right? If I'm not mistaken this is saying that two steps colder might not be the best nor the 3 prong plugs either. Am I right in saying this? I've heard a lot of people say that they do run the two steps colder plug with nor trouble, even the three prong 2 step colder plugs, which is not what they recommend, do they?

Chris
Chris,
What i am gathering from this is that if your engine is running rich (or if you are planning to doing fuel mods) a two step colder plug may not be the right solution. If you are currently running lean, a two step colder plug will help.

I am still trying to decide what plug to get...
Old 01-16-2003, 07:00 AM

Are you going to be supercharged like me? That's my dilema!

Chris
Old 01-16-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Are you going to be supercharged like me? That's my dilema!

Chris
I am already supercharged. But i am 5000 ft above sea level, so I don't really have any pinging problems. Mine pings rarely, so i think new plugs will alone, fix that problem.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:27 AM

Gotcha! I think at least 1 step colder is the way to go for me, but maybe two. I wich someone with two steps colder plugs would respond that lives about 1000 feet above sea level???

Chris