Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cold idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cold idle

This morning when I cranked up for my runner to warm up it didnt sound like it idled as high as usual. It turned over and cranked fine but when it fired of it semed a little sluggish and idled kinda low. This was around 5am and i think it got down around 32 or so here. Also I had filled up with gas,maybe it was to full? It didnt do as bad this evening leaving work. Nothing elde was changed it still runs fine and has plenty of power and no odd noises. The only difference was it was full of gas and cold. Im gonna watch it and see what it does the next few days. The only thing im not sure when it was changed is the fuel filter. oh yeah 97 4runner 3.4 auto
Just thought i would see if yall had any ideas or maybe its just me.
Thanks

Last edited by dbcx; 11-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evap could have purged into engine if you overfilled it,the purged fuel vapor could have been sitting in your intake(causing rich condition)..untill you started it up next...and/or your IAC is sticking(just made a post about this)...overfilling will cause this to happen more frequently.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It still seems to do it. Actually yesterday i cranked it let it warm up,it was 30 here yesterday. Took tha baby to day care came out about 10 min later it wouldnt start.It would crank , as soon as you let go of the key it shut off. It did this twice. So I gave it a little gas when i cranked it and it fired right up and was fine. I changed the plugs,wires and fuel filter after that. The fuel in the filter was nasty and brown, the plugs werent to bad I wasnt sure when any of it had been changed. It may just be the cold, cause when its warmer outside and i let it sit till cold it seems to idle higher like normal. I think ill get some cqarb cleaner and check for vac leaks. I read a similar problem.
Any more ideas? Just tryin to make sure something not starting to go on.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbcx
It still seems to do it. Actually yesterday i cranked it let it warm up,it was 30 here yesterday. Took tha baby to day care came out about 10 min later it wouldnt start.It would crank , as soon as you let go of the key it shut off. It did this twice. So I gave it a little gas when i cranked it and it fired right up and was fine. I changed the plugs,wires and fuel filter after that. The fuel in the filter was nasty and brown, the plugs werent to bad I wasnt sure when any of it had been changed. It may just be the cold, cause when its warmer outside and i let it sit till cold it seems to idle higher like normal. I think ill get some cqarb cleaner and check for vac leaks. I read a similar problem.
Any more ideas? Just tryin to make sure something not starting to go on.
I think I remember seeing a post around here about that being an IAC or ISV valve or something like that.

Mark