Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

code 61 speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
code 61 speed sensor

I have a blinking o/d off light that starts when I am cruising at about 45 or when I am coasting to a stop. I jumped the diag box and got a code 61/defective #2 speed sensor (in atm)severed wire harness or short circuit. I found the sensor, disconnected the wire and rehooked it up. I then cleared the computer by pulling the atf fuse. It still gives the blinking light and code when I get up to speed. I really need some advise before I go buy a new sensor. I would like to make sure all the connections are good. Where is the wire harness? Do you just pull the sensor out and stick a new one on? thanks! I posted before and didn't get much. I don't want to miss anything.

Old 12-18-2003, 06:31 AM

Went and ordered a speed sensor last night. I hope that will cure the problem. I will post the results. I am surprised noone has ever seen this here. Maybe it will help the next guy.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an issue with my speed sensor last year. My speedo needle was bouncing up and down and then not registering at all. Never any issue with the OD light though. It was diagnosed as "speed sensor". I had been wheelin' in some deep snow and had the sensor basically packed in snow which seemed to have been affecting it. The snow melted and my problem went away. It's been fine ever since.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by greyrunner
Went and ordered a speed sensor last night. I hope that will cure the problem. I will post the results. I am surprised noone has ever seen this here. Maybe it will help the next guy.
What year of vehicle do you have? I have had a speed sensor problem but not one that triggered a code. Our trucks have 2 sensors and their locations depend on the year model. All of our trucks have at least one sensor on the transmission itself. My year (91) was the last year that they had the second one in the speedometer. 92 and above went to putting the second on the transmission.

Mine that went bad was the one in the speedometer and not the one on the tranny.

You might want to make sure you know which sensor is going bad.

David
Old 12-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You found my post from a couple months ago, didn't you? I assumed you did because in your other post you knew how much the sensor is.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 12-18-2003 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
I had an issue with my speed sensor last year. My speedo needle was bouncing up and down and then not registering at all. Never any issue with the OD light though. It was diagnosed as "speed sensor". I had been wheelin' in some deep snow and had the sensor basically packed in snow which seemed to have been affecting it. The snow melted and my problem went away. It's been fine ever since.

I was hoping it was a short or something but I cleaned it up and it still does it. The code 61 specified the #2 sensor so I am guessing it is the one further back on the truck Sometimes when I first start the truck it will not want to go and the speedometer wont register then it will go perfect. ???
Old 12-18-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
You found my post from a couple months ago, didn't you? I assumed you did because in your other post you knew how much the sensor is.

I have scoured this board and every other piece of info I could collect. If it wasn't for the posts here I wouldn't have figured it out so easy. I also found the pics of the speed sensor, prob the same thread. Although I have found that the sensor at the stealer is only three dollars more than the discount autoparts store. It is cheaper to get the timing belt drive belt replaced at the stealer
Old 12-18-2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Memphis4X4
What year of vehicle do you have? I have had a speed sensor problem but not one that triggered a code. Our trucks have 2 sensors and their locations depend on the year model. All of our trucks have at least one sensor on the transmission itself. My year (91) was the last year that they had the second one in the speedometer. 92 and above went to putting the second on the transmission.

Mine that went bad was the one in the speedometer and not the one on the tranny.

You might want to make sure you know which sensor is going bad.

David
I have a 91. I hope this is the one at the tranny and not the other "second" one. I will post the results tomoprrow. I wish someone was familiar with the 61 code mabe I will call the dealer tomorrow
Old 12-18-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by greyrunner
Although I have found that the sensor at the stealer is only three dollars more than the discount autoparts store.
Get genuine Toy parts. Other parts are usually problematic - OK maybe that statement is a bit broad...

Try TOR on the boards. He's a dealer out of Texas and gives us good deals.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:24 PM

ok I am learning
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 PM

ok, heres the deal as it is today. I got my part in and when I saw it I almost regurgitated on the parts counter. It was the wrong piece. Got my refund bought a K&N kit and left the store promtly. I called TOR and he gave me a good price on the correct part after ragging me for probably knocking a connection loose wheeling How could that be? Never! It would have to be shipped, though, and that would take a few days. Aaanyway I discoved the correct part to be a good bit more expensive than the 61$ incorrect part. So In desperation I put on the nitrile gloves and pulled the sensor out of the transmission, disconnected the mechanical line and cleaned up both. I then proceeded to trace the line and jiggle it around making sure it wasn't being impinged upon. I also worked the little plug part connecting the two around to make sure the line in the line was free. I put it all back together nice and tight and clean. I then cleared the code. So far I have taken it for one ride to the store( I live in the country so that is a good ride) and the light hasn't come on. It will probably come on the next time I go out because when I fix something that is what happens Either way that is what I got so far. I'll keep yall posted.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:28 PM

Well, the o/d off light is blinking again so I guess I need a speed sensor.