Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cobra 18WXSTII In Dash Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra 18WXSTII In Dash Install

I know some people have done this in the past, but it sounded like there was a lot of duct taping in the past.

I got off my butt and did it today as well as mounting an antenna on the rear Bob_98SR5 style.

I forgot to take a picture of it before I put the dash back together, so I'll have to remember to take a pic the next time I take it apart.

What I did was I drilled a new hole through the stock mounting bracket that lined up with the top rear hole of the microphone clip mounting points. I then bent flat the tabs on the bracket that help to line up head units. Then, I used slightly larger screws then the ones provided for the microphone clip, and screwed the mount to the bracket.

A right angle antenna connector was obviously needed due to whatever the white plastic housing is just behind the stereo.

I also took the time while I was back there, to hard wire my Delphi XM radio behind the dash.

I think it looks pretty slick aside from the annyoing gap between my climate control and center console. It's been there since I bought it, and can't figure out a way to make it line up right. It's like the climate control face plate was cut too small, or they mounted the climate control to high. Anyone else have this problem.

As always, more pictures on my site.

I should have done an actual write up on this one. Sorry gang.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:10 PM

I mounted the same cb in my dash. I had the same problems due to the white plasitc thing behind the dash. I was almost temped to cut into it, but I went and bought a right angle adapter instead Looks good!
Old 03-07-2004, 02:15 PM

I have the Cobra Night Watch 40 Channel CB that truckers use. It is one hell of a CB and also will fit in the dash. Ive been putting it off being I will need to figure out the depth issue & remote speaker issue. I like your install though, looks good. Blue
Old 03-07-2004, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by data
I mounted the same cb in my dash. I had the same problems due to the white plasitc thing behind the dash. I was almost temped to cut into it, but I went and bought a right angle adapter instead Looks good!
Same here... I toyed around with the idea of using a heat gun to soften up the plastic, then making an indentation where the coax line comes out of the radio. Never got around to it though.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Same here... I toyed around with the idea of using a heat gun to soften up the plastic, then making an indentation where the coax line comes out of the radio. Never got around to it though.
I almost did that as I wanted to mount it with the face of the CB flush with the head unit minus it's faceplate. I thought I'd remembered someone saying they'd done it, but I guess it was you saying you thought about doing it.

It was a tight squeeze even with the right angle adapter, but I'm pleased with it. The face is flush with the face of my head unit so it looks pretty good.

I'm just gonna take the mic off when I'm not using it also, so I don't need to worry about where to attach the mic.

Bill