Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clutch question.......'86

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch question.......'86

ok..........got the truck home. she's pretty rusty, but that's ok easy spots to fix with a little primer bondo and a mig welder..............anywho..........
got a clutch question. it's got a new master and slave on it........well 15k miles new. sometimes it wont go into gear with the clutch fully depressed. i tried to lengthen the push rod at the fork where the pedal meets, but to no avail. this only happens intermittently, but i can turn the switch off and it falls right into gear...........after she's rollin there's no probs at all. this is not a big prob, to give you an idea of how "not often" it happens, but i CAN foresee it to be a prob when trying to rock out of a hole or something.
so what do you think..................need to re-bleed the clutch? or something else? one more thing..........there's no slipping or anyother clutch probs......the pressure plate and throughout bearing are only 15k old as well.
and.......the specs......... 86 4x4 22re with 200k miles on it.
thanx all..........sorry if this question has been posted before, but i couldnt find any specifics in the searches.......
cya
brad
Old 01-15-2004, 08:18 PM

So you got the truck? Awesome.

Here's what came to my mind when I read the problem, and while it may not be the solution, its good maintenance and cheap/easy to do. Check out these pages here:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/shifter/index.html

http://www.4runners.org/articles/shift/
Old 01-15-2004, 08:48 PM

ya know........... i thought about that, but it's a tight shifting rig. falls easily into all the gears when rolling....... it's just that everynow and then it won't go into gear.
here's another hint that i noticed tonight. here's the typical scenerio
engines off, in first gear..... depress the clutch, start the engine.....(here's where i can reproduce this problem).... with my foot on the brake, if i let the clutch engage slightly just enough to feel it engage and put the pedal to the floor again, it's quite hard to get it out of first gear....... then i cant get it back in any gear with the pedal on the floor, even in with the shifter in neutral......releasing and pressing the clutch doesnt help,BUT i can turn the switch off and it falls into gear easily.
now i know this sounds like a stupid thing to do, but this is pretty much what happens when you're in a mud hole or something and bouncing between 1sr and Reverse.
i noticed it this afternoon when i was rolling to a stop with the clutch depressed..........wouldn't go in to gear for a little while, but after fiddling with it it finally fell into gear.
it's wierd to me........... only happens when stopped. just doesnt feel to me like i'm not getting enough clutch, but there's no gear noise when trying to get it into gear.

good info on those sites though..........very detailed I LOVE THOSE PICS............pics make for easy understanding.
cya
brad
thanx for the reply!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats something that im gonna be needing to do as well. the shift it rough at times from nuetral to 1st at stop lights and such, and other times its smooth.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:50 AM

that's pretty much my prob too...................... so you feel like it's the bushing eway?

i'll have to give that further consideration................. most of the articles and threads i read didnt give me that feeling.
then again............... i've had the answer infront of me before and overlooked it........... sheeeezzzz.lol
cya
brad
Old 01-16-2004, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i figure for 13 bucks in parts and 45 minutes of my time, might as well, and if it didn't fix the problem, then atleast i took care of something that probably needed to be replaced anyways. you know? if you do it, you'll probably do it before me, so let me know how it turns out, or if it doesn't work and what else you think it is.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:28 AM

Check pedal height free play. You should have about 3/8 inch of free pedal travel before feeling the clutch tension. This is distance between the pedal being all the way up (released) to where it begins to engage the clutch as you push on it.

If that's ok, then bleed the clutch. How far off the floor does your clutch engage?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:54 AM

good point EWAY. i'll change mine next week probably. gotta work this week.
unhappy.......... i played with the "play adjustment rod" on the pedal and pretty much tried it short and long. i thought i could extend it a little and take care of the prob, but it didnt help.
now i've got it down to about 3/8's free play before the clutch starts to disengage. i havent measured how far off the floor the engagement is, but it feels "normal" for all the sticks that i've driven.............kinda goin by the seat of my paints on that. it doesnt sound like it's trying to grind the gears, just wont go in sometimes.
you know............. you guys are a great help!!!
my local parts store cant get the bushing.......... i'll try autozone or advanced parts.
cya
brad
Old 01-16-2004, 11:38 AM

I think the bushing is a straight from the stealership item.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:46 PM

yep........... called today and it's 10bucks for the seat and 4.5 for the bushing........not too bad.

thanx for all your help....... i'll let you know how things come out!
Old 01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
CTB

Dude, could you just write regular sentences with periods. Please.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:18 PM

lol........... no prob.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:29 PM

oops. i did it again.
i'll try better.
sorry.
brad