Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clutch Noises

Old 05-31-2003, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch Noises

First post..be kind!!

Just bought a 98 4Runner SR5 w/ 68K Miles on it. The clutch is noisy: when the truck is idling, there is a kind of low-pitched whine coming from the transmission, I assume the clutch. The noise goes away when I push in the clutch pedal...do you think this is the throwout or the pilot bearing, or something worse? It seems to shift OK ( no grinding, yet )..is this a timebomb waiting to happen? The noise isn't totally out of hand, but it is most definitely noticeable, and is worse some days than others. I'm gonna be taking a 2 week cross-country trip this summer and REALLY don't want it to go out in the middle of Idaho or Oregon if you know what I mean...

Also, the transmission seems to whine pretty loud as well in First thru 3rd gears, a local dealership told me this is normal for this year of truck..is this so? This is a much higher-pitched noise than the clutch...

Any thoughts and imputs would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old 05-31-2003, 09:52 PM

I think most people with a clutch have this noise. I do. I posted about it a while back and I was told it is normal. I have put about 5k miles on mine and havent had a problem yet.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Clutch Noises

Mine has a dry pilot and it squeals like a tweety bird whenever the pedal is not pressed. push it in and the little bird goes away, let it out and the bird comes back. I can just barely put pressure on the pedal and the release fork will push on the clutch and quiet the bearing. this I can live with because the bearing is just dry and I have over 100k on the stock original clutch. yours making a low pitch sound make be the same thing because the clutch will last, assuming you know how to drive stick, for well over 100k. I've heard of people with 200k on theirs and still have the original clutch in it. Toyota clutches are definately amazing. so in my opinion, just live with it unless the pedal starts binding up or the clutch starts slipping.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:52 AM

clutch noises

Thanks for the replies,

I've only driven manual transmission cars and trucks my whole driving life...I've never had a clutch go out on any of them (including a Nissan pickup w/ 200K). I just got this truck used with 68K, and I have a feeling that whoever owned it either must have abused it or did a lot of towing, stop n go, riding the clutch etc... I think the whole clutch might need replacing as it is getting kinda hard to get in gear sometimes ( namely First and Reverse, even after putting in Second or 4th before shifting to get the synchros stopped). I am also getting the pedal binding as well, it will kind of stay depressed and then pop out after a couple of seconds occasionally. ( yes, I've oiled the pedal!! )

Which leads to my next question: If I do replace the clutch, I was thinking of going with a beefier one for 4 wheeling. What is a good clutch for these vehicles? Should I stick with a stock one? I have a 4wheel parts catalog and they are listing a Centerforce II for around $300 or so. Are these any good in our trucks? I went to the dealership and they wanted more than that for a reman'd clutch kit, not including bearings. I'm gonna do this myself so labor cost not an issue.

The guy at the parts counter also said these trucks don't have a pilot bearing..is this true? Sounds fishy to me...

Finally, the brakes need doing this weekend as well, I've been seeing on the internet ( havn't had a chance to really troll this board yet, but I've read that 4Runner brakes tend to be squealy...what is a good pad to use that will alleviate this problem, used with the stock rotors n drums..

Thanks for the replies....
Old 06-04-2003, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't help with the clutch (wish my Runner had a stick though), but wanted to say welcome newbie!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

All these noises are "normal." I have the same exact sounds you are describing. There are a couple threads on this topic if you search about it.

Welcome to the boards!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 AM

I am having the TRD clutch put in my truck as I type. My original clutch lasted less than 45K, so I don't think they are that great. Hopefully I will have better luck with the TRD clutch, but honestly I have no idea because I don't know anyone that runs one. I just had to get it done before EC4RJ...
Old 06-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Re: clutch noises

Originally posted by chiefroqqa
I am also getting the pedal binding as well, it will kind of stay depressed and then pop out after a couple of seconds occasionally. ( yes, I've oiled the pedal!! )
Bushing - Toyota Prt #90389-05017 - I bought a couple so I will have one the next time it goes out. relatively easy remove and replace.

Write-up on how to do it, the spring is the same one that's on mine:
http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mecha...tchBushing.htm

The guy at the parts counter also said these trucks don't have a pilot bearing..is this true? Sounds fishy to me...
Bull schidt!!! the guy is an idiot! don't replace the clutch unless it is slipping. I am over 100k miles and my clutch is fine and the pilot bearing sings all the time! if you do replace, yeah, go with a centerforce. it's cheaper than the TRD and about the same quality and holding power.

Finally, the brakes need doing this weekend as well, I've been seeing on the internet ( havn't had a chance to really troll this board yet, but I've read that 4Runner brakes tend to be squealy...what is a good pad to use that will alleviate this problem, used with the stock rotors n drums..

Thanks for the replies....

stick with the Toyota brake shoes and pads, off brands won't fit quite right, trust me on this one, I made that mistake. I haven't ever heard that 4runner brakes are sqeally. mine are really quiet! Mine are toyotas. if you treat them right they will last you a lot longer than most aftermarket pads.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
I am having the TRD clutch put in my truck as I type. My original clutch lasted less than 45K, so I don't think they are that great. Hopefully I will have better luck with the TRD clutch, but honestly I have no idea because I don't know anyone that runs one. I just had to get it done before EC4RJ...
not to pick at you but if you burnt a toyota clutch out in 45k than the poor quality might be between the seat and the clutch pedal. Toyota clutches (if driven right and I offroad alot and smoked my clutch on the trail pulling a big jacked up f350 out of the mud) should last way past 100k. the pilot bearing may start complaining but the clutch is in no way worn out. that is why most people just live with the squealing (or do like I do and squirt some white lithium aerisol can grease on it through the hole where the release fork goes through, that usually quiets it for about 10k miles) and replace it when it starts slipping. toyotas oem clutches are actually some of the best made and last longer than most on the market, but if you race on the streets and continually ride and purposely slip the clutch then it will wear out really fast. on the trail, slipping the clutch is an art but it usually doesn't require high rpm slipping like racing on the streets so it will last longer on the trails, that is, of course, what the 4runner was designed for right?
Old 06-04-2003, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Well said keisur, and I agree.

Never heard of the lithium grease squirt mod though.

Maybe I will look into that.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Cebby
Can't help with the clutch (wish my Runner had a stick though), but wanted to say welcome newbie!

Thanks, these boards are a Godsend! I've belonged to a VW GTI VR6 board for some time as well, and they have been so helpful. Sometimes ( a lot of the times i find )the service manuals just don't get it right and it helps to have people that know what the f*** they're talkin about!!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by 44Runner
How much was that clutch if you don't mind my asking? Just the clutch not the labor....

Thanks!!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: clutch noises

Originally posted by keisur
Bushing - Toyota Prt #90389-05017 - I bought a couple so I will have one the next time it goes out. relatively easy remove and replace.

Write-up on how to do it, the spring is the same one that's on mine:
http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mecha...tchBushing.htm
Cool, thanks! I'm betting this is the culprit right here!! Sorry if the formatting of this sucks, I'm still trying to figure it out!!

Bull schidt!!! the guy is an idiot! don't replace the clutch unless it is slipping. I am over 100k miles and my clutch is fine and the pilot bearing sings all the time! if you do replace, yeah, go with a centerforce. it's cheaper than the TRD and about the same quality and holding power.

stick with the Toyota brake shoes and pads, off brands won't fit quite right, trust me on this one, I made that mistake. I haven't ever heard that 4runner brakes are sqeally. mine are really quiet! Mine are toyotas. if you treat them right they will last you a lot longer than most aftermarket pads.
Thats what I figured, I've never heard of a clutch w/o a pilot bearing....I'll do the Toyota shoes...thx!!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Clutch Noises

Mine has a dry pilot and it squeals like a tweety bird whenever the pedal is not pressed. push it in and the little bird goes away, let it out and the bird comes back. I can just barely put pressure on the pedal and the release fork will push on the clutch and quiet the bearing. this I can live with because the bearing is just dry and I have over 100k on the stock original clutch. yours making a low pitch sound make be the same thing because the clutch will last, assuming you know how to drive stick, for well over 100k. I've heard of people with 200k on theirs and still have the original clutch in it. Toyota clutches are definately amazing. so in my opinion, just live with it unless the pedal starts binding up or the clutch starts slipping.
The noise in mine doesn't go away until I actually engage the clutch, not just pressure...mine's not quite at tweety bird stage (more like crow or raven stage!) but it is definitely noticeable and annoying! I always listen when I see another 4Runner driving by to see if I hear the same noise, and I can't say I have. Nobody has had one of these dry bearings let go? I'd imagine that the amount of RPMs they do would cause a dry bearing to seize or break up... Do you guys have the issues with difficulty getting the truck in gear with a good clutch? I mean, I can get it in, but it definitely isn't very smooth and I have to get the pedal almost to the floor to engage. Sometimes I have to give it a little gas just to get the truck into reverse while letting out the clutch, otherwise, it will just not go into gear ( even with putting in 2nd or 4th before trying to go into gear)

This is my first 4Runner, so sorry for the rookie questions...
Old 06-04-2003, 10:06 AM

I have been driving manuals since I first learned to drive, and have had one ever since. If you asked most people they would say I am a very "aggressive" driver, but by no means THAT aggressive. I have never had a clutch go out on me before, nor have I ever even HEARD of a clutch going out that soon. Granted, i probably wheel more than the average 3rd gen owner, and with the crappy gears I used to have there was a WHOLE lot of half clutching action.

I used to road race and drag race my old integra. the clutch was as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it. I have no explaination for why my clutch is slipping so early...
Old 06-04-2003, 10:08 AM

How much was that clutch if you don't mind my asking? Just the clutch not the labor....

Thanks!!
it was 550 (list is 625), which puts it in at a WHOPPING $150 more than the stocker

That is why I hope it is worth it, if not, I guess I will know for next time...
Old 06-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Clutch Noises

I mean, I can get it in, but it definitely isn't very smooth and I have to get the pedal almost to the floor to engage. Sometimes I have to give it a little gas just to get the truck into reverse while letting out the clutch, otherwise, it will just not go into gear
sounds like it's out of adjustment or maybe you are low on fluid or maybe the system needs bleeding. have to get some of these hydraulics gurus here on this site to join the thread. anyway's it sounds like you're not getting the pressure to the slave cyl to make it do it's job. then again, depending on the mileage and driving style, it could just be worn out, the little springs i mean. you bought it used right? my bet is the original owner didn't know how to drive sitck and ˟˟˟˟˟ed it up. have to get some of these hydraulics gurus on this site to join the thread.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clutch Noises

sounds like it's out of adjustment or maybe you are low on fluid or maybe the system needs bleeding. have to get some of these hydraulics gurus here on this site to join the thread. anyway's it sounds like you're not getting the pressure to the slave cyl to make it do it's job. then again, depending on the mileage and driving style, it could just be worn out, the little springs i mean. you bought it used right? my bet is the original owner didn't know how to drive sitck and ˟˟˟˟˟ed it up. have to get some of these hydraulics gurus on this site to join the thread.
Good Idea..Since I'm doing the brakes this weekend, I was planning on bleeding them at the same time. I guess I'll do the Clutch hydraulics as well. As far as adjustment, is there anything more to adjust than the free play in the pedal? I also have that loud squeaking/croaking every time I put in the clutch pedal which I've seen posted about a couple of times. I'm gonna have to do the spring bushing at the same time!! Brake city here I come!!

The more I drive this truck, the more I realize the a-hole who owned it before me beat the crap out of it...

Cheers...
Old 06-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clutch Noises

The more I drive this truck, the more I realize the a-hole who owned it before me beat the crap out of it...
I look at it positively like this, it's a-holes like that, that give us projects and things like the runner to work and learn on. so I guess, in a way, their neglect is a good thing? Too bad your not in Houston, I'd help you. I love working on this stuff no matter how hard or long it takes, I always have that thought in the back of my head that's says, "damn I'm good" and I pat myself on the back. get some pics posted of your vehicle, we're all interested here.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:06 PM

Re: Clutch Noises

I look at it positively like this, it's a-holes like that, that give us projects and things like the runner to work and learn on. so I guess, in a way, their neglect is a good thing? Too bad your not in Houston, I'd help you. I love working on this stuff no matter how hard or long it takes, I always have that thought in the back of my head that's says, "damn I'm good" and I pat myself on the back. get some pics posted of your vehicle, we're all interested here.
True...making lemonade when given lemons! Some help would be nice, but Houston's a bit of a drive for a clutch and brakes!! When I get some pics, I'll definitely post 'em. I might even get motivated and do another step-by-step of the ordeal with pics and all. There really isn't much to look at yet, its bone stock.

What I don't look forward to is getting halfway into the job and finding I don't have the right tool, can't get something out/off etc...part of the fun I guess, and a good way to build up the tool selection!

Cheers..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Noises