Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

clutch adjustment

Old 09-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch adjustment

So im just finishing the installation of a centerforce clutch, and it seems that i cant get the clutch to disengage when the car is running. It feels like the throghout bearing isnt hitting the springs on the pressure plate yet. I havent bled out the lines yet so im doing that in a minute, but i was thinking moreso that i need to adjust the pedal pushrod to push more fluid down to the slave cylinder. My only problem is that it appears the pushrod is already loosened all the way. What should i do?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Bled the lines out VERY thuroughly, still no responce, i also adjusted the screw for the master cylinder at the pedal, almost all the way in. It still feels like the throughout bearing isnt coming in contact with the springs, or at least not pushing them. There is to much tension on it for me to even try to move the clutch fork by hand, but yet it doesnt seem to go back far enough when done by pedal. I tried using a small socket as a spacer in between the slave cylinder pushrod and the clutch fork but there was still no difference.

My flywheel has been resurfaced twice, im starting to think maybe its to thin and that the disk and pressure plate are too far away from teh throughout bearing.

Since this is a centerforce clutch has anybody had to upgrade to a more powerful hydraulic system to disengage it? Also anybody have any ideas? somebody post something!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Did you disconnect the slave cylinder (or master) from the lines? Have you had somebody watch the slave cylinder/fork as you depress the clutch pedal to ensure that the slave cylinder is moving at all?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM

Take it out

I would try taking it all back apart and geting a new cluch for your truck might be a bad one you got.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM

yep, as i said the slave cylinder was bled thuroughly. Also the fork is moving, it just doesnt seem like its moving far enough to engage the springs on the pressure plate, however i looked at a friends truck that is identicle to mine and the distance the fork is traveling is roughly the same.

Im begining to think that with the flywheel being resurfaced twice it could be too skiny and thus is putting the entire assembly too far away from the throughout bearing, though i thought adjusting the pushrod in teh cab would compensate for this?

Do you guys think having too slim a flywheel is a possability?

I think i might pull it all out again and measure the actuall thickness of the flywheel then find the stock thickness and see
Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a lot of work to do when it could easily be something else.
i had the same problem and took my clutch out because I thought it wasnt right.
It ended up being the clutch bracket was broke. If thats not it I would replace the slave cylinder and the master cylinder if you havent done that recently.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 AM

I am guessing that the problem is not in the flywheel being too thin. Generally speaking, when machined, only .020 to .030 of material is removed. How much travel are you seeing at the end of the fork? Is the throw out bearing up against the pressure plate (or just barely off of it) with the clutch pedal released? Sounds like a hydraulic or throw out bearing problem to me....Is there some way to strap the fork so that it cannot move and check to make sure that the master and slave cylinders are not leaking through or that there is still air on the line that won't allow the slave to overcome th PP spring pressure? Just throwing out ideas....
Old 09-13-2007, 03:23 PM

i pressure tested both master and slave cylinders, neither one leaked. I also tried tilting the vehicle up on the right in case any air was trapped above the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. Also had no luck. I ended up deciding to replace both master and slave cylinders anyway, just to have the spairs. After this and extensive bleeding, and numerous pushrod adjustments there was still nothing. I took the tranny out again after this last failure to look and see. The throughout bearing is attached correctly to the fork, and was clearly making contact with the springs as can be seen by a wear ring on the springs. The springs themselves however are at a completely flat angle, leaving no room to compress and release the clutch... this makes me wonder how the clutch was holding the flywheel in teh first place (i cranked the truck forward with the starter earlier to see if the clutch was grabbing at all). I would say that the bolts were torqued too heavily, but i torqued all of them to specs with a torque wrench, using an opposing pattern and only tightening each a little at a time.

Im really leaning towards either too slim a flywheel, though im not entirely sure. im going to reinstall the clutch and just look and see if it looks like htere is any better spring rate if i torque it less then specified, the decide what to do from there.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:35 PM

sounds like centerforce sent you the wrong pressure plate. they did the same thing to my buddy with a 88 4 runner, we tryed every thing just like you and just ended up getting a zoom clutch from adv. auto parts. and reusing the stock pressure plate
Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

verify the part numbers also check and see if you put the pressure plate in correctly it should say fly wheel side on it. Also look at the bolts that hold the flywheel on did you change them? they may be sticking out and the disk is making contact with them.. seen it before..