Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CLUNKING!!! Tacoma?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLUNKING!!! Tacoma?

I have a dilemma, my truck (2004 Tacoma Double cab 4x4; 67,000 miles) has a "clunking" that occurs at very low speeds like backing out of the driveway or pulling in, driving through parking lots (when turning), particularly when pulling away from a stop while turning left. It seems to be coming from the passenger side front wheel, but I know that sometimes sounds can travel and defy logic and reason. It sounds like a lower ball joint has gone very bad and seems to go away under normal driving, on the hwy. the sound is gone and the truck drives perfect other than the clunking. The noise appeared a month or so ago kind of out of the blue, and seems to go away when driving in the rain, although not completely.

I have just completely rebuilt the front end of the truck with new:

Camburg coilovers
lower ball joints
upper ball joints
Inner tie rod ends
CV axleshafts

I still have the same clunking, it sounds like "pop pop pop". I have checked the wheel bearings by jacking up the wheel off of the ground and grabbing at 6:00 and 12:00 and shaking, I get no movement at all. When I spin the tires they spin fine with no noise at all so I dont think the wheel bearings are bad.

I inspected my steering rack when I replaced the inner TRE's and the inner portion of the rack that the inner TRE's thread into does have some up/ down movement, but it's not bad and I think it's a normal amount, the rack has no leaks and when I turn the wheel back and forth in the garage there is no movement between the rack / frame and it makes no noises. I have urethane rack bushings installed. So, I think the rack and pinion is fine.

All my body mounts are tight and have been inspected with nothing out of the ordinary found there.

My swaybar endlinks are tight, and it made the same noise before with no swaybar installed at all.

For the life of me I am stumped. When I drive through my neighborhood and into my driveway it is loud enough to be very annoying, but once on the road its pretty much silent other than a "pop pop pop" on occassion when pulling away from a stoplight, then silent again. I cant believe that with such a loud and frequent noise that I cant find anything wrong. Anyone have any ideas? They would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by highplainsdrifter; 02-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM

UPDATE:

I had to replace a diff. seal today so I had the P/s hub apart, no axle or brake disc on it, just the hub/ spindle. I could turn the hub by hand and if I turned it slowly it was sort of rough. You could get it in some "rough spots" and work it back and forth and it didnt feel completely smooth. Although it had no side to side play. I took the other side apart that I thought was the good side, I figured Id use that side to compare. That side was even rougher, and no side to side play. If I spun the hub fast it spun smooth, but very slowly it was slightly rough. Anyone think that this could be enough of an issue to make a popping/ clunking noise at low speed? The noise is worse while turning slightly or going out of driveways where there would be some side loading of the bearing.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 PM

check the universal joints on the drive shaft....
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 04tacomatrd5speed
check the universal joints on the drive shaft....
I just had the driveshaft out and worked on a while ago and it was in good shape. I dont think that is the issue, but thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Wheel bearing maybe?
Just throwing that out there...

Fink
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Wheel bearing maybe?
Just throwing that out there...

Fink
Im starting to think that is what the problem is. I have run 33" wheels with 3.75" offset for the past 35k miles and the bearings have been submerged quite a few times. They arent that rough but if you factor in how it would spin with the weight of the truck on it then it makes sense. I'm at the point where all I can think is "what else could it be" everything else is brand new factory Toyota parts.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I had some issues with the bearings on my Runner.
Had them both replaced and not only did the steering tighten up a bit, the front-end was quieter and seemed more solid.

Might be worth looking into at least.

Fink
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 PM

I ordered the bearings/ seals. I will change them next weekend... I just hope it solves the problem
Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter
I ordered the bearings/ seals. I will change them next weekend... I just hope it solves the problem
Awesome.
Must be nice to have the skills to do stuff like that.

I can do basic mechanical stuff but jobs like that, I usually just take it to Toyota and let them work their magic.

Fink
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 PM

did you figure out where the clunk was coming from? i have a similar clunk sound. happens when i come to a complete stop, starting out or when putting in gear. i also have an 04 tacoma trd offroad. mine has 79k miles.

let us know and thanks