Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Climate Control Diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Control Diagram?

So I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my heat is so weak (99 Tacoma 2.7). The engine operates at normal temperatures. I replaced the T-stat, checked the heater control valve, and had the whole system flushed, including a back flush of the core. None of this made a big difference.

Now I've made a new observation: The heat coming out of the floor vents is much warmer than the stuff coming out of the dashboard vents. I wonder if the air is bypassing the core somehow, with the dashboard vents getting more of the bypassed air.

I'm hoping someone out there has a diagram of the ductwork that they could provide me so I can see if this is possible or likely. I'd really appreciate it...its pretty damn cold in New Hampster.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-04-2003, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

While I don't have a diagram of your ductwork, I do have a bit of an idea for you. Is your defroster jambed on somehow? Like the setting for defrost and floor boards might be stuck somewhere under the dash. Is there hot air coming out of the defroster vents? I dunno, but thought I'd mention it.

Well, I suppose that really isn't an answer to your question, but thought I'd say something anyways.

have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-04-2003, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the idea. The dampers all seem to be behaving normally. Air comes from where its supposed to.

I had thought that maybe my air conditioner was stuck on because that would explain all of the symptoms I'm having, but the compressor doesn't seem to be turning at idle. I need to check it again once the engine has warmed up and with the engine revved because it might be that when I checked it the first time the evaporator was too cold to signal it to turn on, or the clutch might only be engaging at higher rpm. I'm thowing punches in the dark at this point.

Still, anyone with diagrams who could help me out would be great.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 03-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Here's a diagram I ran across in my haynes manual. Hope it helps. See attachment.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Attached Thumbnails Climate Control Diagram?-heat-duct.jpg  
Old 03-06-2003, 03:54 AM

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the effort. I'll see if I can correlate the diagram to what I find in the car.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 03-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NHTacoma
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the effort. I'll see if I can correlate the diagram to what I find in the car.
Not a problem. That's why we are here. To help our fellow Yota owners.

You know, I got thinking that that is a diagram for 89-95 trucks and 4Runners. I'm not sure how close it is to your '99. I would think it is pretty close though, but just thought I'd point that out.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter

BTW, Completely off topic, but I noticed in your sig that you have an 88 Audi 90. Has it been a good car? I got very close to buying a 93 Audi 90 CS. Loved that car. I figured parts would be really $$, so I didn't get it. :cry:
Old 03-06-2003, 08:01 AM

Climate control

Just as a note. it is a common misconception that the AC system will only push cold air. It can be used in conjuction with your defrosters and warm air to clear fogged windows etc. So I don't think that the AC is necessarily the problem. HTH

Al
Old 03-06-2003, 09:13 AM

Here's the story on the Audi. It belonged to my sister, who was the 2nd or 3rd owner. She bought a new car and gave the Audi to me when my car crapped out and I needed something for a month or so while I fixed my car. When I took it from her, it had 212K miles and a bunch of minor problems, but ran well. I drove it for a while, then it sat for a while, then I wound up with a girlfriend who needed a car but couldn't afford one, so I let her take it, then she crashed it into a tree, I fixed it up good enough to drive, and she's been using it ever since (though we've broken up...ain't I a nice guy?). A bunch of new problems have ocurred in that time. My basic impression is that the drivetrain will last forever, but that the secondary systems (cooling, electrical, body mechanical) are garbage. You can expect a whole bunch of small problems to drive you crazy, but the cars will keep on trucking forever. One of my best friend has a '90 quattro coupe, and he's had a bunch of small problems too...but its never stranded him.

As to the AC, on my truck the defrost setting on the air damper control signals the AC to turn on to fascilitate defrosting. My thought is that either that switch, or the main AC switch, is stuck on. That would explain why the heater isn't blowing as hot as it should be and also why my mileage is bad. I've looked at the compressor while the car idled and it wasn't turning, but the car was cold and it was cold outside, so the thermostat in the evaporator might have been too cold to signal it to turn on. Its a long shot, but its worth another look.

Thanks again, guys.
Tom