Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Climate Control On '03 4Runner ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Climate Control On '03 4Runner ?

Hey all,
I just picked up my new 4Runner last week. So far I'm loving every minute of it...the power, comfort and handling amaze me every time I get behind the wheel! But, I have been having some issues with the climate control. It seems to have a mind of its own as far as temperature selection goes. With the dual mode off there is practically no difference between having the thermostat at 70 or at 80. The only way to get it to blow cooler air without the A/C on is to turn it down to 66 or lower! Also, if I turn the dual zone on and set the temperatures the same on both sides the passenger side blows hotter than the driver side.
I've messed with the settings to try and figure it out, but nothing has helped. Is there a trick to this thing that I'm missing, or is it time for me to make my first service appointment?
Thanks for the help!
-Scott
Old 03-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was about to make a similar post worded almost the same. Besides what you've found, when the temp selectors are spread 4-5 degrees and flow is set to w/s, the system makes it's own cold front, forming a cloud (fog) in the middle. It's as if the a/c compressor works intermittently on that setting. The only way I've found to regain control is to reset the system after reaching full warm operating temp (engine shutdown, pull key, re-start). It'll then work as intended.

I won't even get into the feeble rear seat area vents. They need their own boost fan. They saved that for Lexus, though.

I didn't ask my dealer about this because, well, it'd be a bear for them to diagnose an intermittent problem like this properly. And then I'd hate to potentially get a scratched dash in return. I think I'll settle for re-booting for now, but the warm weather hasn't arrived yet. Good luck, and let us know what your dealer finds.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:36 AM

Haven't noticed this problem on the SR5 (single zone).

Have noticed that when the outside temperature is really close to the desired temperature, it tends to blow cold air. Just raise the desired temperature a few degrees and it blows warm air again.

Have also noticed that the "auto" setting always turns on the A/C compressor, then you simply hit the "A/C" button to turn off the compressor.

Of course, now that it's spring, it's time to open the sunroof!!
Old 03-19-2003, 10:07 AM

the passanger side blows hotter cause that is where the fan and air comes in for the engine bay. the fan and intake is right behind the glove box.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:57 AM

The point about the fan and intake being on the passenger side would make sense if it were a slight difference in temperature, but unfortunately it's not. The passenger side feels like the heat is up high, meanwhile the driver side is cool (this happened when the dual mode was on and both temps were at 70).

BT17R:
I know what you mean about the dealerships not being able to diagnose a problem like this, not to mention they probably haven't seen too many '03 4Runner's in the shop yet. Not sure I want mine to be their guinea pig! Since it's almost time for warm weather, as long as the A/C blows cold I'll likely wait until Fall to bring it in. I haven't noticed the cloud thing you mentioned, but I'll try the shutdown/restart method and see if that helps!
Thanks a lot fot the input guys!