Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clears... one ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clears... one ?

Got my clears on last night. I have always wanted these things and when they started making altezzas they stopped making these. I finally scored a set from our buddy mike at xtreme (thanks mike!!). Everything is great except what are you guys (with them) doing about the brake bulb burning off all the red color? Is there a paint I could get that will either work at all or work better than they come? What are you guys doing about that? I really don't like the "pink" look as thats what gets you in trouble with the po but also just doesn't look good. If nobody knows anything I guess I'll head down to the model shop and see what they say.
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

So,you gonna buy that antenna to go with your lights? I think pink was available.

Seriously,a model shop might have a paint for that.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:07 AM

Try the 7443 xenon red bulbs from your local performance store, when I brake they sort of look like the lights on the new Lexus RX330. I've seen some clear tailights that make the tails look pink because of the bulb, but not these ones I have. I've had mine for about 5-6 months and have not faded yet. I will get some pictures of the tailights later on today.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:10 AM
CTB

Hey Austin,

The NOPI store on Abercorn may have some choices for you...it couldn't hurt to try. Although, the few times I went there, I couldn't hardly stand the workers there! Maybe they got some new people!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Hey man,
Ok, so your the one I saw the other day... Well... like a month ago. Did you ever get a lift picked out? The guys in there don't know their eblow from their azz. I'll give them a try though. I like the way the new RX's tails look! I'll try those before I head to the model shop. Darnit. I wish I had read this before I left before. I was just down there Can't wait to see the pics Vato.

Thanks X... I already told you, I have 4 on order!! and I think clear tails look good on white cars. They look dumb on any dark color, but are ok on white. I wasn't about to pay $100 or whatever for some stock ones thats for damn sure. Plus, they were free. I couldn't resist!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:36 AM
CTB

Originally posted by turboale
Hey man,
Ok, so your the one I saw the other day... Well... like a month ago. Did you ever get a lift picked out?
Were you referring to me or someone else? Cause if you were referring to me, you are definitely wrong...so sorry.

I haven't been down in Savannah since May of '02. I may be heading that way during Christmas break sometime though...
Old 11-12-2003, 11:50 AM

Just found some pics but they are not really that good, but it gives you an idea, but if you want I will get better pictures for you. At night you can't tell they are clear tails unless you are upclose or see it from the side. It is not pink at all night or during the day.

Now you need to rid of that 3rd brake light, either the 3rd brake light cover like on mine, or you can make it like A+ did.

Last edited by Vato Loco; 11-12-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

*Bling-Bling*
Old 11-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Na, I don't mind the red third brake light. I'm not about to get a ticket and I think that would help my chances.
Sorry, wrong person!

Thanks for the pics Vato! I just got back from the nopi store and they had some LED lights but they were the ones like on motorcycles that rotate. No thank you. Espcially at $23 a bulb! I guess i'm off to the model shop this weekend. If they wear off to quickly I'll try the "xenon" ones that vato used.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:10 PM

You need to get the led red bulbs, you sould be able to get them for around $15 a per bulb.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:22 PM

Most speed shops here carry the Japan red glass tail bulbs. I use 'em as even though my clear tails are painted, the stock clear bulbs make it look pinkish. The reb bulbs never fade...they burn out waay before that happens...a lot of 3rd gens suffer brake bulb burnouts, see e'm all the time. Mine lasts 6 months if I'm lucky.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

I got orange bulbs at NAPA for like a buck a piece. Maybe they have red also.

Austin - those clear tails look sweeeeet!!
Old 11-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Clears... one ?

Originally posted by turboale
Got my clears on last night. I have always wanted these things and when they started making altezzas they stopped making these. I finally scored a set from our buddy mike at xtreme (thanks mike!!). Everything is great except what are you guys (with them) doing about the brake bulb burning off all the red color? Is there a paint I could get that will either work at all or work better than they come? What are you guys doing about that? I really don't like the "pink" look as thats what gets you in trouble with the po but also just doesn't look good. If nobody knows anything I guess I'll head down to the model shop and see what they say.
Thanks!
The best thing to do is find a place that has LED replacements, you will not have the bulb fading issue if you go that route.

So you like them? Glad I could help!!

Regards,

Mike
Old 11-17-2003, 10:12 AM

Better Pictures *Sorry for the size of the pictures, webshots changed their size*

If you want I can get the bulbs for you, just PM if you're interested.

Brake lights on with flash.

Brake lights on in the dark. They don't look like clear tails at all during the night.

Brake lights on with flash.

Last edited by Vato Loco; 11-17-2003 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

How much did you pay for those rear clears? Im currently looking for a set of them for my 98.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by dbikeman
How much did you pay for those rear clears? Im currently looking for a set of them for my 98.
Check out www.procarparts.com

$55 a pair.