Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cleaning/timing/head

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cleaning/timing/head

Hey, I did search the cleaning of a engine but all of them say they just had dirt/grime on there engines, well I have lots of that on mine but also Alot of old dried up oil all over it. I would like to clean it off before I start to rebuild it. Would a pressure washer get the oil off? Also I may need a new timing set, guides, and I was wondering which would be the best one, I like they one ebr sells on ebay (anyone have experience with these?). While I have that off I need to replace my head gasket and I was considering of buying a new head, is this a bad idea or good because I would just be putting a new head on a old motor.

Thanks,
Mario
Old 03-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 p/u, huh? cool.
at any autoparts store and most wal-marts you can get rattle-can-style engine degreaser. just spray on and leave for a while, rinse your engine clean later. cept it might eat through vaccuum hoses and other rubber accessories, depending on what you buy, so watch that.
how many miles you got on the 22re? ive heard from people on here that you can do something about the timing chain tensioner/guides to help the engine from destroying itself. so you might want to research that and proceed, while youre p/u is in downtime, unless it's inconvienient(you need it done quickly to get to work, etc.). also, now that your head is off, buy replacement head bolts/studs and install because most of them dont re-torque right, and that can be a big problem, or so ive heard.
as for the head, i don't know. maybe someone else will read this and blow you away with their smarts.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:17 AM

Alright thanks, I did try engine brite (3 cans) it was cheap, but that only got some of the mud, grime off didnt even scratch the oil. It has 170,000 miles on it. I have lots of time to work on it, I just sent for a R-title (4-8 weeks).
Also a 22r head would fit a 22re right?

Thanks,
Mario
Old 03-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get upgraded steel timing guides... engnbldr sells good ones, he is the same ebr on ebay you speak of, actually is a member on this site.. i have a thread about upgraded timing chain guides, its a pretty good threat to read if you have some time.... its a lot easier to just buy one of his heads and bolt it on, unless there is severe compression loss or damaged cylinder walls and you dont want to ado a complete rebuild, the shortblock should be just fine, i recently replaced the upper half of my engine, i had the head machined and new valve guides and a valve job and its running great now....
Old 03-20-2005, 11:35 AM

Sounds good, I did read that thread gave me some good info. So it would be safe to buy a new/ rebuilt head?

Thanks,
Mario
Old 03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it would be safe, also you would have less downtime as well, my head after i took it off was at the machinists shop for around 3 days, and then due to my schedule i wasnt able to put everything back together right away either... simple bolt off bolt on would have been a lot easier....
Old 03-20-2005, 01:41 PM

Anyone know if the exhaust ports are the same on the 22r and thr 22re, or if there is any difference in the two heads? If the 22r head would work for my 22re engine.

Thanks,
Mario