Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CIPA/ Donnelly Auto-Dimming Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CIPA/ Donnelly Auto-Dimming Mirror

I have installed CIPA mirrors in two of my vehicles and it is now time to put one in a Toyota. I love having the COMPASS and TEMP readout and I figure that the map lights would be more subtle than the overhead console lights. I went with the #36500 model so I can have it all ($229.95 @ Summit Racing).

FYI, you can connect the sensor somewhere inside the cabin so you can measure cabin temp instead of outside temp, if that is important to you. Since we have the dash read out on the Limited model's climate control panel, that might be an option. However, I will install the sensor on the exterior because I do not like flipping back and forth to read the outside temps.

My question is: Since you have to use a "wedge mount" adapter that glues onto the windshield ... because the OE mirror mounts to the headliner, what kinds of clever alterations to the overhead console mirror mounting button area has anyone done? I want to remove the mounting button and replace it with a flat piece, so that I can put something trick in there like an alarm alert, etc. I have no idea what I am going to do, all I do know is that I don't want that button thing hanging down from the overhead console, and I don't want to just cut it off.

Any ideas?

BTW, for those who have not used the Electrochromatic CIPA mirror, the lense does not get as dark as the prismatic OE type, but it is still a really nice piece and the compass is spot on accurate.