Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Chevron Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevron Fuel System Cleaner

Anybody have any experience with the Fuel System Cleaner made by Chevron?

I was going to get some Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner but my local place was out of it and AutoZone is on the other side of the city and I wasn't even sure if they had it.

Anyway, on the bottle it says a nearly empty tank, what would you guys consider a NEARLY empty tank? 3/4, 1/8? I'm at 3/4 right and was wondering when I should put it in.

It also says after adding it to the thank to fill up with UP TO 12 gallons...I'm thinkin, add the cleaner and then fill up with 10 drive it to the same level as before and if that doesn't work go get some Redline and see if there is a difference.

Another interesting thing is the guy at my local store, great guy, said that he uses an injector/complete fuel system cleaner with BOOST in it...says it makes his Ranger feel like its a 250...

Do you think that is total BS and would it hurt anything if I went and ahead and tried the one he recommends? Anybody ever had any experience with a Boost Injection Cleaner? Sounds a little cheesy to me....

Thanks, as always...

Fink
Old 09-19-2003, 07:58 PM

Dont know about the Chevron brand, but the majority of fuel cleaners are basically the same, containing similar petroleum distillates. Most of them are of the "feel good" kind... You buy one for $2-7.. you put it in, you "feel good, man.." but it probably does nothing for your vehicle unless you have an old vehicle with gunk in fuel system. Kind of like buying a beer for your friend, but since you cannot buy a beer for your truck, you buy it fuel cleaner. Oh yes, it also comes in a pretty bottle. The more the price, the prettier is the bottle, have you noticed?

I'd just stick with the store brand, the cheapest. Keep in mind that most gasolines outthere already contain basically the same additives as you find in the fuel cleaners. All you are doing is increasing concentration, hoping that, if anyting is stuck inside the fuel system, it will get loosened up and burn, baby. I usually run some store brand fuel system cleaner once or twice a year.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I did mine, I bought an off-brand, even though that thread I pointed you to before talked a lot about Redline.

I put it in with about 1/2 a tank of gas, and definitely felt a difference by the time I started into the _next_ tank. I was able to clearly _measure_ a difference at the end of that first full tank.

I have a 4-pack of Chevron here in the closet that I got at CostCo for cheap. I have faith in it, and will use it the next time I run cleaner through the tank.

Chevron is fine... Does it to it.

As for "Boost", it's probably just a cleaner with an octane boster mixed in. Boosting octane won't buy you added performance unless you're messing with the ignition timing.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what I found doing a quick search:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ection+cleaner

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ection+cleaner

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...jector+cleaner

Old 09-20-2003, 06:13 AM

made his Ranger feel like a f-250........... Ya mean it was even slower.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

LoL Puddle Jumper...thats funny. Now I'm glad I didn't get it...or else I would feel like I had the 22R engine in there!

I think he meant engine size versus top end speed...I'm at 3/4 now, you think I should go ahead and add the Chevron to it?

Fink
Old 09-20-2003, 02:09 PM

Fink, Yeah, I would just add it no problem. I use the Chevron all the time. It DOES work. I use to have a Dodge Datona Turbo. The Injectors were constantly getting dirty, causing missing,low power, poor miliage. I tried all kinds of cheaper injector cleaner and it just didn't work.
I went to Chevron Tecron and it made a world of difference. Chevron makes good cleaners.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Well...I added it, I had a little less than 1/4 of a tank, I drove it around a little, and filled up right when the gas light came on. I didn't fill it all the way up cause on the bottle it says to fill up with no more than 12 gallons.

Will I notice any performance increase or just better MPG?

Thanks for all the responses guys, if this doesn't work I'm gonna be goin to Redline...and after that, I'm going to see if I can get the injectors ultrasound cleaned.

Thanks again,

Fink
Old 09-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Amazing, isn't it Steve??

FWIW, I've never really noticed a difference between store brand and name brand either.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mertztr
Amazing, isn't it Steve??

FWIW, I've never really noticed a difference between store brand and name brand either.
Me neither, I even spent the $20 for BG44k and I can't tell any difference.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:18 PM

The reason I wont buy more expensive brands is because I have tried more expensive brands ... in 3 different vehicles over the span of 5+ years. I watched my mileage carefully and it did not improve, nor did I notice any performance improvement. That went for 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder carburated and fuel injected engines... Sure, maybe there is a small increase that a scientist COULD measure, but if you cant feel, smell or see it, nor save any money from it, what difference is it to ya ? I am amazed that some people say Chevron stuff works... I want to keep an open mind, so maybe I will buy some of that and try it out! Does it come with money back guarantee?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
Will I notice any performance increase or just better MPG?
Yes.

If the injectors and/or fuel system in general needed cleaning (I don't think you ever mentioned your mileage?) then the injectors will open up. That means you'll notice more kick when you jump on it.

When you _don't_ jump on it, then you'll get better mileage since you're not using as much fuel.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Forerunner
I watched my mileage carefully and it did not improve, nor did I notice any performance improvement.
I'm curious about something here... What kind of mileage did you have on the vehicle(s) when you ran the cleaner through, and how long had it been previous to that when you had previously used anything, if at all?

The point being is that I wouldn't expect injector cleaner to do much for an engine that has 10, 20 or 30,000 miles on it. But, take an engine that has 100+ thousand miles on it, and it's NEVER had anything run through it, then I think that most folks would notice a difference.

When I ran my first bottle of cleaner through the engine, I had 107,000 miles on it; 7 years of driving; and had only run low-octane "cheap gas" for the last 3 years. I know it helped me...

Mark
Old 09-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

My mileage as of about a few days was 11.2...not that great. After this cleaner tank runs through I will check the mileage again and see what I have...

Fink
Old 09-21-2003, 11:23 AM

LoL Puddle Jumper...thats funny. Now I'm glad I didn't get it...or else I would feel like I had the 22R engine in there!
HEY! Whats wrong with the 22R?! Oh right...

I just bought some STP carb cleaner, I was getting 18mpg (take that Mr. 11.2 mpg V6! ) I am filling up tomorrow, so I will find out if its improved in three weeks, visually my fuel needle has been going down slower, I also did an airbox mod, so I don't really know which one did the trick.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:32 AM

Hello Guys and Gals, just got back from military duty. I was activated for a while, good to be home too.

Just to add my thoughts in this matter, most fuel cleaners are a strong does of Tolulene which can be purchased at the paint department of the local home improvement stores.

I pour in a gallon approx. every six month and fill up over top and have never had any ill effects and not had to have an injector cleaning yet.

My 4Runner is a 92 3.0L.

Hope this helps, (HTH). JS
Old 09-21-2003, 12:11 PM

My mileage as of about a few days was 11.2...not that great.
This seems REALLY low... I wonder if something else isn't wrong with your rig.

I was getting about 15mpg before the cleaner, and high 16's after ('96 3.4L, auto).

Mark
Old 09-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

I'm thinking the injectors need to be pulled and ultrasound cleaned...but im not sure if anyplace around here does it. Lets say the labor charge is 50/hr. what would it cost to have that done? Anybody know?

I also think I need the CSI replaced...I have a terrible time starting this thing in cool weather.

Fink
Old 09-21-2003, 06:59 PM

Fink, just for you info. That Dodge Datona I had to keep running injector thru......I read an article that said the problem was to much back pressure caused by the cat converter. So I removed it...never had to use injector cleaner again and my milage increased by 4mpg. Just something to think about.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:02 PM

Hey, Plays_With_Toys, I see you have the double air filter mod. Did you notice any difference when you did that?

Quick Reply: Chevron Fuel System Cleaner