Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Check oil light and low idle...related

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check oil light and low idle...related?

Ok, straight to the chase. My 3vze v6 engine in my yota is now giving me a sporadic check oil light. This happens primarily at stops, waiting for red lights, etc. If i gas her a little bit the light goes away. A buddy said my idle may be to low and this is causing the light to trip. Is this possible or should I look for more serious matters? When I check my oil level I'm fine, so it's not a matter of low oil. I'm also not 100% sure just how low my idle is set to either.

2nd part of the question.

If I'm planning on swapping in the sr5 guages at a later time would changing the oil sender/pressure/sensor(not really sure what the proper name is) unit now be a problem if I don't switch out the guages? My thinking is that the oil sensor unit is going out causing the check oil light, so why replace it twice.

Any help would be appreciated.
Side note I can fix the problem by blowing through "Yellow" lights and avoiding complete stops at those pesky signs, however this method of driving is not highly recommended or endorsed.

-=Morphine=-

Last edited by Morphine; 07-28-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 PM

The oil pressure on my 3vze goes up and down with the rpms. I would imagine that it is possible that a low idle could drop the pressure enough to trigger the oil light. Where exactly is your idle while you are at a stop light? Not sure if you have an auto or 5-speed, but I can tell you that when my runner is in 'drive' and I'm stopped - my idle is at 750 rpm.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine
Ok, straight to the chase. My 3vze v6 engine in my yota is now giving me a sporadic check oil light. This happens primarily at stops, waiting for red lights, etc. If i gas her a little bit the light goes away. A buddy said my idle may be to low and this is causing the light to trip. Is this possible or should I look for more serious matters? When I check my oil level I'm fine, so it's not a matter of low oil. I'm also not 100% sure just how low my idle is set to either.

YES A LOW IDLE CAN CAUSE THE OIL LIGHT TO COME ON

2nd part of the question.

If I'm planning on swapping in the sr5 guages at a later time would changing the oil sender/pressure/sensor(not really sure what the proper name is) unit now be a problem if I don't switch out the guages? My thinking is that the oil sensor unit is going out causing the check oil light, so why replace it twice.

If all you have now is an oil light then you have a pressure switch. When you go to the SR5 you will need the pressure sender. Check the post from Allyia, 2toyguy just answered this question for her.
Knowing that you just replaced your oil pump with the top half rebuild I would not tend to think that you have an oil flow or pressure problem, the light is only hitting when stopped with the low idle. Not knowing how long until those SR5 gauges are in I would get a manual press gauge connected and check it just to be on the safe side. You might also want to take out the switch and check to make sure it is not gunked up some how....I'm sure there was alot of gunk in your engine before you did the the R.B.....as for adjusting the idle check this web site for the how to...also if you play with the url just a bit you can see/find the whole 1993 3vz shop manual.....
//personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/64tuneup.pdf

................just put the http: in front of that and it should work for you........
hope that helps you out.

Any help would be appreciated.
Side note I can fix the problem by blowing through "Yellow" lights and avoiding complete stops at those pesky signs, however this method of driving is not highly recommended or endorsed.
But will allow you to meet new and interesting people in the field of LAW ENFORCEMENT
-=Morphine=-
the link for the full FSM should be
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Jerry
Old 07-29-2005, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for the idle to be a possible culprit. You know turning a screw is an easier fix than some of the issue's I've dealt with Plus I forgot the old rule "K.I.S.S." I didn't bother to see if the current unit is all gunked up.

Now can I remove it without draining the engine's current oil? I know go check the links and the manual. But it's 3:53am here and my laziness I hope is understandable.

-=Morphine=-