Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cheaper fix for down travel. MAYBE

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheaper fix for down travel. MAYBE

I have a 4runner with the sway away 2.0 standard travel coilovers. I have ot at about 3 inches of lift. I have ran this setup for almost two years, but the small amount of Down travel, about 2 inches, is getting old.

I searched around, and I put together that uniball uca's can give you about 3/4 inches of additional down travel when used with extended coil overs. Well that would be great except that I am in college and I cannot afford new coil overs.

So my question is.... And someone please tell me if I'm way of in my thoughts.

Could I use a top out spacer ( 1/4") on top of my coil overs, to technically lower where the travel stops. At the same time install uca's to keep the stock bj from binding up. I would keep my ride height at the exact same height. So I would crank my coil overs down the same amount as the spacer I add.

I do not think that I would create a problem with up travel if I do this, because there are stock bumpstops that hit long before the polyurethane bumps in the shaft would hit.

What do you all think. I know I'm being cheap, but I could save my self a grand and it may work fine. And no.... sas is not in the question.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are asking for more droop. You will overextend the CVs and either pop them or they will pull apart. You can't go with extended CV axles because they still need to compress when the wheel travels up. Droop, especially excessive droop, causes CVs to pop because the flexible part of the CV is now working toward the edge of the CV bucket. The edge has less strength than deep in the bucket.

In short, Don't do it!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I was just figuring it would be okay since companies make coilovers with extended travel to help with droop, or down travel. And that's why people buy aftermarket uca's. I was thinking a net of 1/2" or less of additional down travel