Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cheap iPod mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap iPod mod

Hi
So I got fed up with my iPod tape deck input (too much noise from tape turning) and wanted a direct line in.

Following this guys idea:
http://www.mattgilbert.net/carstereoauxinput/
I pulled out the head unit and cut the four input wires from my cd player (which I never use anymore) and splice crudely in input jack wires. Whereas he shows two grey and two green wires, the model I have had yellow, red and white wires in the same location.

Now I got a poor mans aux input that runs when you press the CD button on the head unit (a CD has to be in the CD player).

(Pics on Matt site show most of what is needed, I didn't put in a control switch to keep the CD function though).

Last edited by Roadtripr; 12-17-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

I was in the same situation recently, but I have an aftermarket head unit. My HU is somewhat old though and has no aux input, but it does have a cd changer outlet on the back.

After some research, I discovered the CD changer aux input cable. I dont have a cd changer and i didnt know this cable existed. Took like two minutes to hook up and i now have direct line in aux.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM

Good idea. However, my tape adapter doesn't make any noise at all. It's a Philips brand.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Min was a monster, stay away from that crap. Also now I can put volume on the ipod higher w/o distortion.

A better way would be this thing as it charges the iPod too (however I already have a charger in the 4runner)
https://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/A...G-p-10154.html
Old 12-19-2008, 12:33 PM

Just buy an aftermarket head unit that is worth a darn. This way you can achieve a true line out, have an equalizer that does not sound like a turd in a shower, and charge your Ipod at the same time! Alpine is what I have. Don't buy that stupid AUX interface thing and spend an arm and a leg, just get the Ipod cable for the alpine head unit and have all of your controls through the radio!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 PM

But how much is the alpine unit, and does it look somewhat like stock. I am not much for blue lit modern HU in a 90's interior. Besides I am broke these days and have more time to add a line in than I normally would have.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:29 PM

Yeah, I don't need an aftermarket unit, either. I like the matching stock unit and I'm not an avid music listener, so the stock unit does just fine for me.

I have had Alpine units in the past that could change color to an all amber/red/blue/etc. to match the stock interior, though. They're nice, but not willing to put the time or money into it.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
Min was a monster, stay away from that crap. Also now I can put volume on the ipod higher w/o distortion.

A better way would be this thing as it charges the iPod too (however I already have a charger in the 4runner)

Now THAT looks like a good idea!!!

Does it require any cutting etc? Or does it just plug right into the back of the factory CD head unit?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr

I have the stock stereo with am/fm, tape and cd buttons on the front. Do you know if the aux adapter in the link will work?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM

I have an Ipod2car adapter from Peripheral, http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/ and it plugs right into the back of the factory deck where the 6-disc changer plug would have gone. It only cost about 60 bucks CDN about a year ago. It plugs straight into the ipod and charges it as well. What is great as well is that I can change the tracks with my factory buttons as well as the volume. You also keep the function of the normal cd player.
It also allows control to the ipod itself as well.
Personally I have found this to be a great addition and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
I have an Ipod2car adapter from Peripheral, http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/ and it plugs right into the back of the factory deck where the 6-disc changer plug would have gone. It only cost about 60 bucks CDN about a year ago. It plugs straight into the ipod and charges it as well. What is great as well is that I can change the tracks with my factory buttons as well as the volume. You also keep the function of the normal cd player.
Personally I have found this to be a great addition and would recommend it to anyone.
I don't see that anywhere on the Peripheral site - can you post a link?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 PM

The site sucks for links but if ou select your make/model etc. then it should be the ISAS71...Seems like it is more than it was before, or you could use the PXDXKI.
Ill check my emails, i think i still have some emails from them about the part number
Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Got one and it works good.

Aaron
Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I am reading this right. This only works if you have an external CD changer. True statement? I have the stock Tacoma CD/tape AM-FM stereo so that plug will not work???
Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM

Actually it only works if you dont have the external changer. You'd have to check their website on their application guide and even better, just email them. They were very quick to answer my questions.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:18 AM

Just thought of something. I had a 4th Gen ipod and the cable to that didn't work with my new iPhone. Make sure you get the correct version for your ipod.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 AM

OK heres the deal if you have a stock head unit with NO CHANGER but a out for one your golden. Just pull the facial trim unscrew the 4 screws then pull the radio look on the back, if you have a vacant plug that looks like it would take a funky square you should be ok to get one of these adapters. If you have a cd changer it will have to be unplugged for the ipod to be used but come on people how often to you listen to cd's if you have an ipod. Well I am currently becuase my ipod gave up the ghost and there a bit spendy as I have learned.

Aaron
Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 AM

So what input button do you hit to run the ipod on the facotry stereo using one of these adapters?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BushPig
Now THAT looks like a good idea!!!

Does it require any cutting etc? Or does it just plug right into the back of the factory CD head unit?
No it should not require cutting. You loose CD function though.
On a Tacoma forum several had done it using the Metra/Axxess adaptor made for a Camry. On Yotatech I found one thread with a user who did this to his wife's 2000 4runner.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by redfusion
So what input button do you hit to run the ipod on the facotry stereo using one of these adapters?
You just hit the CD button twice. So if you were in radio, you would hit CD, then the normal CD function would be active, you hit CD once more and then it goes to the ipod.

Quick Reply: Cheap iPod mod