Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Changing Brakes-Draining Brake Fluid from the Line Fix

Old 07-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Changing Brakes-Draining Brake Fluid from the Line Fix

Most of us who wrench on our own trucks have done brakes. Well for those of us who have or havn't I found agreat little trick to help you from losing fluid while you are replacing the brakes, replacing rear axle seals or doing the Tundra brake upgrade.

When you remove the metal brake line going into the brake wheel cylinder, because the brake line is lower then the Master Cylinder, fluid will leak out and this can creat many issues none the least of which is draining your brake lines. While in the process of trying to replacing my rear axle seal, I needed to seal off the brake line until I can get the axle checked. So I needed to figure out a way to seal off the end of the open brake line. I tried several different things to plug the line but none seemed to work. Then I thought about using some plastic tygon tubing similar to aquarium air hose line, but what I had was too small. The theory here would be to push over the end a small piece of tubing then clamp off the end. So off to Lowe's.

I did find some small tygon tubing that should do the trick, but as I was cruising the clearance aisle, I noticed that there were several packs of those Closet Maid shelf and rack wire end plastic caps.

The package contains two sizes. and what I found was that the smaller of the two sizes in the package are a PERFECT fit for lipping over the flaired end of the hard brake line.

ZIP! No leak! Sealed the end right up.

One of the really great things about these besides being so cheap, they will not interfer with any work you are doing around the wheel cylinder, they will keep the ends clean and protected from being hit with gunk dirt or other debris until you are ready to reinstall them in the wheel cylinder,

So now if you are going to do anything with your brakes and it requires removal of the brake hard line from the wheel, try this little trick. Its cheap, easy, reusable and a no mess solution. It will save you having brake fluid all over. And best part, the whole package cost me 15 cents with the tax!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Another cool idea. Vaccum line caps at the local auto parts dealer do the same thing and are available in a wider variety of sizes. They are longer too.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dorman's vacuum cap assortment size, procurred at most auto stores for $5, is always good to have in the garage/shop. I have left caps on lines for weeks on different cars with no ill effects.

For the 4 runner's brake/fuel lines, a 5/16 sized cap works well.