Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

changin a steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
changin a steering wheel

Im looking into getting a 4runner, looks like 96 or 97. Ifound a limited 4x4, w/188k on it. Looks to be in real good shape,and a clean carfax.The steering wheel is worn bad.How hard is it to change out with the airbag and controls?I would not want a cover.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not hard if you have the right tools - get a steering wheel puller (craftsman version runs about 20 bucks at Sears). There's two allen head bolts holding the airbag in place -- one on either side of the steering wheel. Crack these loose back them out. They won't come all the way out because they are held in place by plastic brackets. The airbag will slide out of the middle of the steering wheel and one electrical connector must be unclipped.

After that, undo the nut holding the steering wheel in place and use the steering wheel puller to back the wheel off of the shaft.

Be careful of the spiral cable assembly inside the steering column... breaking this damn thing is an expensive mistake.

Whole procedure is described really well in a Haynes manual.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ltbulldog23
It's not hard if you have the right tools - get a steering wheel puller (craftsman version runs about 20 bucks at Sears). There's two allen head bolts holding the airbag in place -- one on either side of the steering wheel. Crack these loose back them out. They won't come all the way out because they are held in place by plastic brackets. The airbag will slide out of the middle of the steering wheel and one electrical connector must be unclipped.

After that, undo the nut holding the steering wheel in place and use the steering wheel puller to back the wheel off of the shaft.

Be careful of the spiral cable assembly inside the steering column... breaking this damn thing is an expensive mistake.

Whole procedure is described really well in a Haynes manual.

No, there are 2 T30 Torx bolts holding the airbag in.

Also, you dont need a puller to take the wheel off. Just wiggle back and forth while pulling on it. I have been doing that for 6 years at my Toyota yard.

Be very careful of the clockscrew, DO NOT MOVE IT! And mark where the steering wheel comes off with a marker, and make absolute sure the new on goes on in the exact same place.

ALSO. *VERY IMPORTANT* Disconnect the battery and wait 2-3 minutes before messing with the airbag system. You do not want that thing going off. Ask me how I know
Old 12-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Sounds good i was worriied the airbag would cause problems.That may help my desision on getting it also. I do have a truck to sell first,im just trying to find out all i can think of while im waiting. THANKS for the help
Old 12-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do not want that thing going off. Ask me how I know
How do you know
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
No, there are 2 T30 Torx bolts holding the airbag in.

Also, you dont need a puller to take the wheel off. Just wiggle back and forth while pulling on it. I have been doing that for 6 years at my Toyota yard.

Be very careful of the clockscrew, DO NOT MOVE IT! And mark where the steering wheel comes off with a marker, and make absolute sure the new on goes on in the exact same place.

ALSO. *VERY IMPORTANT* Disconnect the battery and wait 2-3 minutes before messing with the airbag system. You do not want that thing going off. Ask me how I know
Yikes...good catch about disconnecting the battery to discharge the system.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
How do you know
haha smart guy.

I was taking airbags out of a 1996 Tercel at work. I never take the drivers side out, then the passenger side. This time I did. For whatever reason, as I disconnected the drivers side, the pass side went off. And DAMN those things are loud! And that white smoke cloud cannot be good for your lungs.

We also set off un needed airbags at work, so they cannot be stolen or used as bombs. I once set 7 off in series, and 2 jumped over an 8 foot fence. Those things can mess you up!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

LOL, well you told me to ask.

That cloud of smake is actually just corn starch, they ues it to keep the bags soft and pliable so that they do get hard and break when used.

I liked it on mythbusters when they were setting off the airbags underthings and blowing them up seeing i it would kill you. Myth confirmed!

Also on Dirty Jobs there is one show where they send a heavy trash can at least 30+ feet into he air.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:17 AM

Thankx while i got yall stirred up does $5900 sound ok for a 97 4x4 limited w 188k on a 3.4. It is a old corporate lease with a clean carfax. Its only 50 miles from my town,another plus. I just thought the steering wheel was in bad shape all the shiny has rubbed off down to the foam it just looks bad
Old 12-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, that is agreat deal if everything is in good condition mechanicly.

I got my 2000 with 125K for 9600 and that was a GREAT deal. Does yours have an e-locker or 4wd? If so then grab it.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yes, that is agreat deal if everything is in good condition mechanicly.

I got my 2000 with 125K for 9600 and that was a GREAT deal. Does yours have an e-locker or 4wd? If so then grab it.
Im not sure on the E-locker that would be nice.it is a 4x4. thats all im looking at . It is at a car lot,I havent asked about that i thought id just look at it if its stil there if i sell one of my trucks

Last edited by dbcx; 12-15-2007 at 11:26 AM.