Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Changed my filter brand...WOW.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my filter brand...WOW.

Well, recently I read a website somewhere (now I can't find it) about a guy who was independantly testing all of the oil filters on the market. His conclusions were that Fram oil filters were crap. This is all I have used on my vehicles for the past 15 years, with the exception of the vehicles I had that Fram did not make a filter for.

After reading that website, I decided to try something different. My truck has 158,000 miles on it, and has had the infamous 2.2 startup rattle since I bought it. So last weekend, I brought home 5 quarts of 10w30 Castrol and a genuine Toyota oil filter... just for kicks.

The startup rattle is gone.
I am sold... no more Fram for me. Unbelieveable that a $5 part could make that much difference.

Oh yeah, if you know the website of which I speak, and happen to have it bookmarked... a link to it would be HUGELY appreciated.

~Wade
Old 06-09-2003, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found a couple of filter test reports... Do any of these look familiar?
Mark
Old 06-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Here's another:

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 06-09-2003, 06:43 AM

Whats this startup rattle you speak of? I have an 1989 4Runner with 165,000 miles on it, but don't know of any rattle.....

I do use a Toyota Oil filter most of the time - actually doing an oil change tomorrow night. Goin' with Mobil 1 Syn and Toyota Oil filter.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by mertztr
Here's another:

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
That's a snatch of the Russ W. Knize study... it's all over the 'net. Some folks even put it up and removed his copyright notice.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
That's a snatch of the Russ W. Knize study... it's all over the 'net. Some folks even put it up and removed his copyright notice.
Did not know that...actually I just did a YT search on 'oil filter study' and found it in a post from last September, and to be honest, I didn't look at the links you posted to see if they were the same...just assumed different name, different study...
Old 06-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

uh, heh, heh, uh, huh, eh he, he's said "snatch," uh heh heh.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:15 AM

Actually the MiniMopar link is the original. MiniMopar.net is Russ' page.

C

Last edited by GV27; 06-09-2003 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, it was the mini mopar one. I read that whole thing, and wow, talk about some information.

2.2 startup rattle seems to be pretty common. Check a few of the threads out about it, and you will see what I am talking about.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the good thread guys. There's a lot of useful info in those reports.

I will be picking up a Toyota filter later this week.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:25 AM

If a simple filter change solved a startup rattle, it may have to do with the design of the filter's anti-drainback valve or lack thereof. Supposedly the TOY filters are very good in this regard. I only use OEM filters. They're not that expensive if you wait for the occasional 2 for $7 sales at the stealership.

However, rattling on startup ain't normal, even if the oil did drain out of the filter, as long as the truck hasn't sat parked for weeks on end. And what would a "2.2 rattle problem" be? I'm guessing you mean 2.4, since 2.4L would be the displacement of the 22RE which I assume is what's in your '88 (?) Startup rattle can be indicative of impending timing chain disaster in these engines, so if the rattle sounds like anything more than typical 22RE valve chatter it may behoove you to pull the valve cover and make sure your timing chain guides are still intact. The t-chain can make a rattle on startup for a few seconds while it's eating into your timing cover.

Now that I think about it, I suppose the anti-drainback function of an oil filter could be related to t-chain rattle: the chain tensioner is driven by oil pressure, so a lack of oil pressure at startup (from an empty filter) could leave the chain a little slack, hence the rattle.

How long since you bought the truck? Might wanna give the t-chain guides a look-see. Not trying to worry you, but you can't be too careful and it only takes fifteen minutes. Of course, if I am mistaken and you have the V6, none of this applies! I just took a guess based on that 2.2 number.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Fram is CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!

Did I mention that Fram is CRAP?

Toyota makes good filters, nothing wrong with using them. As for oil, Mobil-1 is damn nice, Castrol is probably just under that. (Note - my oil experience between the two is based on motorcycles, YMMV with cars). Personally I will be switching to Amsoil (real soon, after reading that if you use injector cleaner you should change oil within 500 miles!) after running a bottle of their engine cleaner through...
Old 06-09-2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by GV27
Actually the MiniMopar link is the original. MiniMopar.net is Russ' page.
Ahh.. okay. Thanks for the correction. It seemed that the other one was the original since it also had the personal viewpoints comments and such.

Mark
Old 06-09-2003, 01:34 PM

I just replaced my timing chain/guides etc.. a couple of months ago and I still get the start-up rattle using OEM filter. Apparently the t-chaing tensioner is the first thing to get/need oil which is why it rattles.

I've also heard Toyota oil filters are hit and miss when it comes to a properly functioning anti-drain back valve so hopefully this explains my rattle.

Warren
Old 06-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

I have been using Castrol GTX 10W-30 and OEM filters (air too) since day one. I change every 3,000 miles or close to it without fail. The Taco is about 5 1/2 yrs old now with 94K miles and right after I change the oil, it is so clean that you can barely see it on the dipstick. After a good 3,000 miles, it is still a nice honey color. I am also not afraid to change my air filter more often than not, especially after alot of dusty trail excursions. It's worth the extra cost to me, to be a little overkill rather than let the engine suffer. I use the OEM paper filters and feel really good knowing they are not letting any crap get through. I'll be getting the oil analysis done for my 100K celebration, and I'll be sure to post the results.

I buy my filters at a good price from this place (especially good deal if you stock up and save on shipping)...

http://www.toyotapartsworld.com/toypartpage.htm

$10.99 for air filters and $3.29 for oil filters
Old 06-09-2003, 05:43 PM

Posted by Skydigger
I've also heard Toyota oil filters are hit and miss when it comes to a properly functioning anti-drain back valve so hopefully this explains my rattle.
This is one of the major reasons why I stick with OEM oil filters. That properly functioning anti-drain back valve keeps the engine from a dry start. From day one and up to this day, I always use Amsoil 10W30 synthetic oil and OEM "Japan" oil filter. When it was time to remove the filter, I notice that there is always at least a pint left in the filter when removing it from its location.

Now the Runner has about over 90K miles and still runs smooth and quiet. I like the combination of synthetic oil and OEM filter.

Noel
Old 06-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

$3.29 for oil filters
Just ordered 3. thanks for the link!
Old 06-09-2003, 07:12 PM

I'm getting my first oil change on my '03 V8 Runner on Friday. What oil (brand, type, everything) should I take in, or should I just let them use their oil? What about the filter? Same question. Yes, I'm letting the dealer do it while it's under warranty.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by kronicx
I'm getting my first oil change on my '03 V8 Runner on Friday. What oil (brand, type, everything) should I take in, or should I just let them use their oil? What about the filter? Same question. Yes, I'm letting the dealer do it while it's under warranty.
Just let 'em use their stuff then. I'm sure it'll be appropriate seeing as how they don't want any troubles with your engine either.

Warren
Old 06-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BajaTaco
I have been using Castrol GTX 10W-30 and OEM filters (air too) since day one. I change every 3,000 miles or close to it without fail. The Taco is about 5 1/2 yrs old now with 94K miles and right after I change the oil, it is so clean that you can barely see it on the dipstick. After a good 3,000 miles, it is still a nice honey ... ... $10.99 for air filters and $3.29 for oil filters
yep, I use the same oil and the same filters. good choice, I've never had a problem with them either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changed my filter brand...WOW.