Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Changed contacts, still wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed contacts, still wont crank

I have a 98 tacoma 2.7L 5spd with 191K miles. I changed the starter contacts today but it didn't fix my problem. The truck still won't crank. It still sounds like something "spinning" when the key is turned on. All lights and other electric items work. I'm gonna go hit it with the voltmeter here in a minute and see what that looks like. I'm gonna start at the battery and work my way down. I was going to take starter in to have it tested but I put it back on the truck instead to try it out. No big deal, as I know how to get it out now. I'm also going to have my wife turn the key so I can crawl under and see where the "spinning" sound is coming from. I suspect it's coming from the starter. Could my bulletproof ND starter have actually died? If so, can it be rebuilt or should it be replaced? If replacing, with what? Also, if it is wiring, do I need to buy specific wires or do I make my own with the connections and the right size wire? Sorry for the long post, but this is my daily driver and I can't afford for it to be down too long. Please help!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like something broke inside the starter or its not throwing out the gear to turn over the motor, i would first test that u are getting 12v at the small wire leading to the starter and if so i would replace the starter,
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Sounds like a broken starter drive.

Although it is possible you have broken teeth off your flywheel might be good to look at the teeth.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 AM

What's the best way to view the teeth? I know through the starter hole, but from which angle? It has the skid plate on so does that have to come off to see it?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 AM

Somehow the pinion isn't engaging the flywheel. Are the flywheel teeth are broken? Did it do this before you changed the contacts? To view the flywheel, pull the starter out again. Use a mirror and flashlight to look into the hole at the flywheel teeth. While you're at it, test the starter again while it's out of the truck.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Yes, it was doing this before I took the starter out. It started this past Saturday. It would click, then start on another try. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't start or click, only make the "spinning" sound. So that's when I pulled it out to replace the contacts. I checked the voltage ont the firewall where the wire from the battery, ignition, starter and I'm guessing clutch cancel switch come together. It's getting 12+ volts on these contacts. What is that small block called where these all come together by the way? When I check voltage at the starter, should it be getting voltage on the post all the time, or only when the key is in the start position?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u woll get 12 v where the bigger wire comes down from the battery, now the smaller one that clips in will give u 12 v when u turn over the key, and since u are getting spinning i would say its getting power. so when u pulled the starter apart did u see the gears in the starter? did any look broke and not just the big tooth one on the other end there is a set of gears that go from motor side to the plunger side.. thats the side with the gear that turns over the motor. also when u try and starter it do u hear a click like the plunger is getting pulled out to the gears on the fly wheel?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM

You can roll the engine over by hand by rotating it at the crank pulley in the front. This will tell you if its worn or missing teeth without having to try and eye it up.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Talked to the guy at the shop where I bought my contacts. He said it sounds like the starter drive is bad also. Said he'll rebuild the starter for $80. I pulled the starter out from start to finish in just under 20 minutes. I was impressed. Taking it now to have it tested to be for sure. Tha ka for your help guys. I'll let you know I'd this does it or if I need more assistance.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Turns out it was the gear drive. The guy at the shop was able to spin the gear in both directions, and he said it should only spin one way. So I'll pick it up tomorrow or Friday, whenever it's finished.