Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Certified Used 4-runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Certified Used 4-runner

My girl friend has a 2002 toyota certified used 4-runner. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether or not they put in new spark plugs before they sell it used. It had about 20K on it when she got it, now it has about 40K. Just wondering if it's time to put new ones in. Is it a pain to do on this vehicle? I have only ever done it on my 94 pickup (piece of cake). Also, I just learned that new cars don't have distributors. Where have I been?!?! So what else does a tune-up consist of (obviously no cap or rotor and I'm sure the wires are still perfect).

Her gas mileage is down to about 16mpg, when it used to be about 21mpg or so (I just got mine up to 27 , so I thought 16 sounded really low). We changed the airfilter, put air in the tires, changed the oil, and ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. A tune-up is the only other mantainance I can think of to get her mpg back up. Any other advice would help. Sorry this is kinda long, but I don't know much her car. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by nigeltufnel3; 06-27-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16 mpg is low if it's stock. Go see your favorite Toy dealer, give them the VIN, they'll check their computer and can tell you what work any Toyota dealer has done on it. You also might do a search on 3.4 and spark plugs. There are lots of opinions on what works best.

Some os the guys seem to be getting better mileage after a "Seafoam" treatment. So check out that thread.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

plugs are cheap, if you've got 20K miles on them. Just replace them.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:09 PM

Im on my third cert used toy and my father has two. I know @ my dealer they dont replace plugs before resale unless absolutely necessary. Part of thier 128 pt check is to see if the plugs are good replacing them would be step 129 .
Like shazad said (I cant spell sdagst? right now) plugs are cheap buy em and replace em the bloody knuckles will make you look cool
Old 06-27-2004, 05:31 PM

Go see your favorite Toy dealer, give them the VIN, they'll check their computer and can tell you what work any Toyota dealer has done on it.
Bzzzt! Toyota does not have any central database.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If the idle's smooth and the truck runs good then the plugs are probably alright. I got nearly 90K out of my first set, and noticed no change when I swapped them out. Stop and go driving in the hot weather with a/c on can hurt the mileage.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Bzzzt! Toyota does not have any central database.

bbzzzzt they do for recall work
Old 06-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

bbzzzt...I had them run the VIN before I bought the 4Runner in '98 to check what had been done to it. They even gave me a copy at that time. Can't speak for your dealers, but mine (Las Cruces Toyota) has always been very accomodating.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
bbzzzt...I had them run the VIN before I bought the 4Runner in '98 to check what had been done to it. They even gave me a copy at that time. Can't speak for your dealers, but mine (Las Cruces Toyota) has always been very accomodating.

So any and all work done at a toyota dealership is kept in a central database .. I find this hard to beleive. Was it just the work at that dealership or others as well? Why would they keep track of your oil changes and tire rotations, especially since people get it done elsewhere as well? I'll ask them next time I'm there.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:30 AM

I've spent about 2 weeks on this topic, stopping at every Toyota dealership I've passed and asking about it, all in all about a dozen in 3 states. One guy was even nice enough to call 'corporate' and ask about it. Nobody keeps any central database regarding regular work. At best the work is logged locally at the dealership, and if there are several affiliated dealers they MIGHT be connected to each other. That is it.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm...I'll talk to LC Toy later this week and get them to give me the low down on it. I haven't seen them in over a year...No problems lately. Maybe they only ran the details they had performed at their dealership and told me that was it.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Recall campaign's are definitely logged in a database.

I have also heard that regular maintenance, unless part of a specific dealer network, is not in a central database.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:27 AM

does she have ISR or deckplate in?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
[...certified used 4-runner. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether or not they put in new spark plugs before they sell it used....]

That really depends on the specific dealership, but probably not.

I recently attended an automotive industry conference (attended by mostly the largest Automobile and RV dealers, and Manufacturers reps) and one of the subjects discussed at great length was Certified Used programs within the auto industry. I was only mildly surprized to learn the truth.

Most (read: probably all) dealers will put the certified program stickers on any vehicle that seems to be in good shape and meets minimum criteria (ie low mileage, clean, shiny...) When it sells, if you bought it as a cert vehicle, they then run it into the shop and do the 128 pt check. They fix nothing unless it needs it, they do not replace fluids or plugs etc unless it obviously needs it. They do not inspect it before the sticker goes on, they don't make sure bearings are good and recondition to like new condition or anything remotely like that. Anyway, if you try to bargain too hard on price, they'll usually at some point tell you that to get that price you can forego the cert preowned plan.... get it? The certified preowned plans are like car insurance - they charge enough money for it up front (by getting you to pay more for the vehicle) and can then afford to cover anything that comes back on complaint. It's still better than "as is no warranty" probably, but it's very nearly a scam, if only because people assume more than really goes on. And this is true even at the high end of the market. It's a marketing game, nothing more.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
does she have ISR or deckplate in?
nope...
Old 06-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
[...certified used 4-runner. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether or not they put in new spark plugs before they sell it used....]

That really depends on the specific dealership, but probably not.

I recently attended an automotive industry conference (attended by mostly the largest Automobile and RV dealers, and Manufacturers reps) and one of the subjects discussed at great length was Certified Used programs within the auto industry. I was only mildly surprized to learn the truth.

Most (read: probably all) dealers will put the certified program stickers on any vehicle that seems to be in good shape and meets minimum criteria (ie low mileage, clean, shiny...) When it sells, if you bought it as a cert vehicle, they then run it into the shop and do the 128 pt check. They fix nothing unless it needs it, they do not replace fluids or plugs etc unless it obviously needs it. They do not inspect it before the sticker goes on, they don't make sure bearings are good and recondition to like new condition or anything remotely like that. Anyway, if you try to bargain too hard on price, they'll usually at some point tell you that to get that price you can forego the cert preowned plan.... get it? The certified preowned plans are like car insurance - they charge enough money for it up front (by getting you to pay more for the vehicle) and can then afford to cover anything that comes back on complaint. It's still better than "as is no warranty" probably, but it's very nearly a scam, if only because people assume more than really goes on. And this is true even at the high end of the market. It's a marketing game, nothing more.
Amen!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:48 PM

I never trust what a seller (dealer or otherwise) tells me about a used car...I always get an independent pre-buy inspection. Only way you can be sure.

When I bought my Taco, I had Auto Analysis do an on-site inspection...it cost me $100 but I knew afterwards there was nothing major wrong with the truck and it gave me some bargaining weapons. The money I knocked off the asking price more than made up for it.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by roger
When I bought my Taco, I had Auto Analysis do an on-site inspection...it cost me $100 but I knew afterwards there was nothing major wrong with the truck and it gave me some bargaining weapons.
I don't understand how a clean bill of health gave you bargaining weapons...
Old 06-29-2004, 01:14 PM

Easy...they caught a few items that needed replacing (which I wouldn't have), I pointed out same to seller and got a lower price.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Oh OK, you said nothing major wrong. I figured that meant nothing at all. I get it now.