Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Center Console fab

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console fab

ok so i started fabbing up a new center console for my 4runner a few months ago. here are my many reasons for building my own:
  • no cup holders
  • too short
  • no place to put a computer (carPC)
  • practice fabbing stuff up
  • a void in a potential market that i may be able to fill, or at least encourage the filling of by other companies.

so i got 20 feet of .75" square tubing with 1/16" wall and started cutting.

here is the basic frame i constructed first:

Then i added the motherboard tray (in orange), the harddrive tray, the brace that sits on the stock center console bracket, the forward bracket with three holes for bolts that will screw into tapped holes in the body, and the rear shoe that sits on the carpet and is held by two bolts.

and finally, with the computer in it, as it sat for a very long time.

in living with it for a long time, including 10+ hour road trip, i found the console to be too tall. i drove around with it since mid october until just a few days ago, making sure i knew the modifications i wanted to make.

so today, i set out to lower it.

here it is now, painted with rustoleum black hammer finish.

i have more to add to this post, and will add it later this evening.

just FYI for the early readers, i do plan on producing these, in a more refined fashion from what i have learned from my experience.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 PM

so here is what i have learned from this build that will be applied to the next console i build (hopefully to a paying customer):

needs to be 1/2-1 inch narrower, possibly 1 inch shorter in the arm rest section.
all corners will be mitered and welded, instead of simple butt welds, this will make it stronger and more visually appealing.
lines will be cleaner, with no transition betwee the risers and top(one line, instead of making a Z)
consoles will be available with or without provisions for a computer. non computer versions will have a deep bucket for storage, computer versions will have a very shallow one.

motherboard tray supports Mini-ITX form factor, the harddrive is shock mounted on memory foam. i have been offroad with this computer numerous times, including medium speed rough road, and jumping dunes at pismo. never had the computer skip a beat due to vibration or shock.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Neat idea, but do you plan on putting panels on? Even with some aesthetic holes drilled for air movement for the comp? Also any consideration to being able to add the stock flip cover? And any thought on the location of cupholders?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 PM

panels will be attached with something like this:http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP...ring=91355A074

i had welded a panel on the driver's side, but i had to cut it off to adjust the height, and honestly it didnt work out like i wanted it to. i need panels i can remove to install and fiddle with the computer components.

part of the reason for replacing the console was the factory top was cracked and split. i plan on adding a top piece, with padding, in the same fabric as my seat covers.

i believe i failed to mention this mod works best with the adjusted ebrake lever, a la 99+ 4runners. moving the ebrake is explained in the guide on this site for adding a 99+ console.

cup holders will be screwed in, to allow for cleaning. im working on their design now. fronts will be located low, much like the 99 console. rears will NOT fold in as in the stock console, but i havent finalized a design on those.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Cool, its just that privacy and security are typically on a consumers mind when it comes to consoles, so some type of panelling could be an ideal option even.
Its hard to tell by the scale of the pictures, but when adding the cupholders make sure that the ebrake does not go between the holders.
I think the console is a good idea, but now i always like to think overboard. When you have the time/funds. it would be neat to see if you could make a fibreglass mold to kind of slip over top, to really clean things up, hell even add switch knockouts! I know function over form, but it would be interesting to see, and well then you really would curb whatever market exists from those with pre 99 consoles looking to upgrade. pardon the tangent.
Also, your link doesnt work for me.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM

oh yea, the console will definitely be covered. as for the cup holders, this is why i suggest moving the ebrake to the passenger side of the transmission hump, as the 99 retrofit does.

as for fiberglass, im looking into it, im not great with fiberglass, but i might give it a try on the next one. im eager to get my computer back in the truck, i miss my music.

feared the link wouldnt work. its hard to link to stuff on mcmaster-carr. they are very flat hex head screws that i think will look nice.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 PM

haha, i totally forgot how the holders/ebrake were set up in the 99+ and i just got out of my 99, and i was drinking a coffee, and set my ebrake!
yeah the fibreglass was just an idea. (you dont even want to hear my reverse light idea!) Im sure you know to appeal to the largest market the look must be "acceptable", however it wouldnt be neceassry to "function" people.
Good luck with it,