Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CEL, TRAC/VSC & VSC OFF lights all came on!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL, TRAC/VSC & VSC OFF lights all came on!

I was driving home this evening and my CEL, TRAC/VSC & VSC OFF lights all came on at once! WTF?

No other issues at all. Nothing has changed and I have not been off-road with this truck yet.

I have made no recent changes other than to install my Sonoran Steel lift about 4-6 weeks ago.

I'm gonna have the codes read tomorrow if the lights are still on and report back.

Any experience with this phenomenon would be appreciated before I start throwing money and parts at it in vain.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM

???

Okay, I had the codes pulled at Autozone today...

P0420 Catalytic converter inefficienty

Well, that code is kind of a good thing that I don't really have to worry about or throw any money at just now. Annoying, yes...

I called my buddy who is a long-time Toyota tech and he said that Toyota throws the VSC OFF and VSC/TRAC lights when it throws any CEL for whatever reason. He said that it is highly unlikely that I have any issues with my VSC/TRAC. We just have to address the P0420 - WHEW!!

So, I guess we get to make another little black box that fools the computer on the P0420 code Did I say that out loud?...
Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Seems like when my check engine light comes on so do the others. On my 01, I flooded out the charcoal canister by overfilling it and it caused the same results.

I bought a code scanner and it has paid for it self from Autozone. You can clear the code by pulling off the battery cable, but more then likely it will come back on.

With a scanner you can clear the codes also and check your self.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:54 AM

CEL VSC and dead battery

Hi guys, hopefully im not repeating a post but i could find it anywhere else. I got the CEL/VSC TRAC/VSC OFF lights too, went to autozone to get them read. they said it was code p0171 (bank 1 to lean). Leaving Autozone, the truck started fine, but when i parked it at home the truck wouldn't start again. Seems like the battery is dead. All the time of driving post dash lights shining, the truck seemed to be running fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
interesting.

wife started a new job yesterday and on the way there, this exact thing happened. wrote down what she was seeing and searched it real quick and found a lot of hits for this exact issue.

if I recall correctly, based on info not just from this forum.....almost NEVER has anything to do with the VSC or TRAC ...actually in just a few searches found NOTHING related to it except a comment of someone saying he was told it could be his rotors, which he disputed.

from what I saw, the culprits are....(in this order, based on what I remember) nothing,gas cap, O2 sensor and coil pack.

also asked my PNW boys and came up with the same responses....the culprit is usually the gas cap. a semi-quote that I like a lot, was...."CEL light, lights up, response is , meh...I'll check it. Lots of lights light up like a Christmas tree, OMG I'm gonna die!"..essentially to get your undivided attention.

No lights were lit on her way home from work, and I went out this morning to check it myself(since I got home late last night)....and the gas cap and no lights were lit.

clicked the gas cap a few extra times and then removed it just to do a cursory exam of the seal and it looked OK....maybe a bit wet?...thought that was weird because it's been sitting in the driveway for over 12 hours....but the filler neck was dry. so????? condensation. maybe will fill it up with SUPA and throw some dry-gas in. if it happenes again, will replace the gas cap....and if it happens again, may do a sea-foam treatment for the helluv it.

just felt relieved that this is not an uncommon issue. just that I did not see a concise "oh...that's because of the ______" kind of answer but rather, answers kinda all over the place.

will post again if the need arises.

by the way......it's the wife's 2006 4runner SR5 with 116k on it. luv that truck....has been ours since brand new and will be MINE in about a year when it's paid off and she gets something new. has been a reliable work-horse and has always existed without any issue.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by uscgkenny
Hi guys, hopefully im not repeating a post but i could find it anywhere else. I got the CEL/VSC TRAC/VSC OFF lights too, went to autozone to get them read. they said it was code p0171 (bank 1 to lean). Leaving Autozone, the truck started fine, but when i parked it at home the truck wouldn't start again. Seems like the battery is dead. All the time of driving post dash lights shining, the truck seemed to be running fine.

Any thoughts?
Turns out that my issue was a loose positive wire at the battery. So add another cause to the pile of issues that light up your dash.