Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cebby please help!

Old 02-08-2003, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cebby please help!

I noticed in your signature that you have a 2nd gen with remote pass. windows, and remote rear window.

I just installed an Avital 3300 (by DEI). The alarm has 2 channels that I am not using.

My first question is did you install the alarm yourself, and if yes can you tell me how to do it? If you feel like writing up tech. instructions, I would be happy to take pics for anyone else interested.

Next question is about the operation. Do you press one button for the up AND down functions? If so, does the window go up based on the alarm being armed, and down when it is disarmed?

Basically, I would appreciate any info that you can provide.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2003, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the scoop...

I spent the better part of 4 years installing alarms and stereos under a terrific mentor. This guy had two of his trucks in car aduio magazines - and he had the same attention to detail. I learned most of what I knew from him. Ironically, I did NOT install this system in my 4Runner. It was a gift for my wife after she had our second baby. She wanted keyless entry (guess I went a little overboard!) The timing is the only thing that kept me from doing it myself (mid winter with an unheated garage)

Well, I really wish I'd have done it myself. There are flaky operational issues that I attribute to the installation quality (or lack of). I will be tearing this out when the weather breaks and reinstalling it myself with soldered connections and the proper guage wire throughout - I'll probably add some features too.

I have a DEI 550ESP (includes remote start) and (2) 530T and a 540T (window modules - not sure on model numbers) The 530's drive two windows both up and down and the 540 is for windows like the tailgate or sunroof) Here's how mine works: I have a 4 button remote. The buttons are labelled lock, unlock, aux, and panic. The lock, unlock, and panic do just that. The aux is set up to roll the back window down (nice with arms full of groceries). I have two additional ext functions that I access by combinations of buttons. For example, lock & unlock together = remote start. Aux & Panic together = window vent, hit them again and they roll the whole way down. The window rollup function is coupled to the arming since I was out of channels. It is supposed to work with all 4 windows and the tailgate window roll up upon arming. For whatever reason, the tailgate win rolls up sometimes only. This is one of the things I'm going to fix (it has to do with the current needed to roll up the rear window - need bigger wire and the limit switch). I'll also be adding the sunroof into the mix when I redo it. You can roll the windows down with it armed or disarmed - it functions separate from the diarming function.

I hope that answered your questions. I'll be doing an in depth write up with pics when I redo mine. I'll need to have it apart in front of me to assure the accuracy of what I'm writing up though. If you are going to tackle it soon, I'd say take pics and write up what you can - I'll be happy to share what I know. (It's been a while for me :confused:

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Cebby; 02-09-2003 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Here's the scoop...

Originally posted by Cebby
Sorry for the long post.
No way, I really appreciate all of the information!

That is eactly how I want to have my system wired, minus the flaky tailgate window. I might have to wait for your write-up, since I am not as experienced with alarms. If I do decide to tackle it, I will take pics.

The only other question that I have is about the window control modules (530T and 540T). Basically, I am wondering if you can just use dual relays instead of buying the more expensive DEI modules?

I might need to check the12volt.com for that info.

Regardless, thanks for the good information.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??

Not sure about using regular relays. I thought the DEI units had some sort of current sensor in them so they don't smoke the window motors. I heard that from someone - not sure if its accurate or not. Part of the flaky rear window operation has to do with the crud and corrision in the mecahism in my tailgate. Another thing to tackle in the nice weather - I'm going to attempt to modify the workings of my window mechanism for more speed/smoother operation. Might just be a pipe dream though. Make sure your rear window is trouble free prior to wiring it up...