Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CD Player issues....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Player issues....

My CD player, the stock one on my '99 taco, is doing something odd.....

When I go to eject a CD, it'll eject but the ejecting motor keeps on running for a while. When I go to put another CD in the player it'll take it in maybe a 1/4 inch and then spit it back out.

The CD will play just fine once it's in the CD player....it just takes a few tries to get it to take the CD all the way in.

I don't know if there is anything I can do to remedy this problem is there??

Thanks!!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM

yeah mine did that and i bought an Eclipse CD player. it has 5 lasers not the standard 1 or 2 lasers.. i rearended a truck on the highway going around 25 mph and it didnt skip. great cd player!!! plus they will replace it for free if its stolen. look em up
Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Do they make one the size of the Tacoma unit? Mine is a CD/tape player. Kinda thick.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Quattro15, Tacoma's and 4Runner's both have the double din size (the thick kind). You can still get a single din unit and the kit should come with a tray that will make up for the space on the bottom.

For me, I really like the stock unit. I just hate the way aftermarket decks look with the funky-colored lights and such. If mine craps out, I will buy a used OEM unit from somebody. I know they make AM units that will match your lights, and maybe one day, I will try that if I can't find any OEM units.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Not sure about the Tacoma but to fit a Scion in a 4runner, you need to do some trimming.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM

So I put a CD cleaner disc in there just for giggles and the player works like a tac now!

I hope it stays that way, thanks for the info though.

Later taters.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM

Well that didn't last long, messed up again.

Where can I get an OEM player??
Old 05-08-2008, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quattro15
Well that didn't last long, messed up again.

Where can I get an OEM player??
my eclipse cd player has red, green, and blue lights. just switch it to red and it matches the truck's red lights.. looks great! the factory cd players sound horrible compared to these cd players. ill keep this cd player until i cant repair it anymore (5yrs old and never broken) never skipped either! i highly recomend them
Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 AM

I bought an OEM cd/tape on Ebay for $100. When I bought my truck at Toyota the wanted $500 for the same unit upgrade. That being said I would rather have an good aftermarket unit...they sound much better. I would let mine go if you are interested.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 AM

Quattro - Does your current CD player glow green or orange? I have one out of my old 98 4Runner that lights up green. Not sure if it's a direct swap. I know the 4Runner had a stock amp, and I don't know if that matters or not. Anyway, if interested, I'll give you a smoking deal.

And if that doesn't work and you're okay with an aftermarket deck, I highly recommend dealing with www.crutchfield.com Superb customer service and great prices, too.

Last edited by cackalak han; 05-08-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Yeah...mine glows green.

But I think that if I'm going to have to go to the hassle of taking the dash apart to put a new player in that I'm going to upgrade to a nice aftermarket player.

I don't know what kind exactly yet, I'd like to have one that I could hook my IPOD up to directly though, doing it through the radio sounds bad in my opinion.

Other than that...and playing CDs of course...I'd be set.

I'd also like one that has a face that closes over the CD insert area, to help keep the dust out.

What do you guys think would fit the bill? I don't wanna spend too much either.

Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Yeah...mine glows green.

But I think that if I'm going to have to go to the hassle of taking the dash apart to put a new player in that I'm going to upgrade to a nice aftermarket player.

I don't know what kind exactly yet, I'd like to have one that I could hook my IPOD up to directly though, doing it through the radio sounds bad in my opinion.

Other than that...and playing CDs of course...I'd be set.

I'd also like one that has a face that closes over the CD insert area, to help keep the dust out.

What do you guys think would fit the bill? I don't wanna spend too much either.

Thanks!!

Quatro, my mp3 player is hooked up to my Eclipse CD player. there is a place in the back (auxillary jack) that you can use a $3 male end cord you can get at radio shak that will plug in your ipod to your cd player.. its awesome, and its sounds like a cd when playing.. i wouldnt praise those cd's players if i didnt have 180% satisfaction in them.. plus again they have a theft warranty and also it has a coded theft deal where if it gets stolen they will never be able to play the cd player EVER unless they had the coded CD which in fact you produce yourself (do not keep in your truck, keep it at home). its pretty neat deal.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Mk,
Where is the wire coming out of your dash??

Thanks man.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quattro15,

Out of curiosity, do the backlights/display lights on your factory stereo work? Mine quit me early (~80K). BTW: I've seen these cables routed down through the ashtray.

Last edited by frosty; 05-09-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 AM

Mk,
Where is the wire coming out of your dash??

Thanks man.

no i ran it out by the gas pedal (well close to it where the dash opens up in the back) my wire is 3ft long and i keep my mp3 player hooked up and set it under the seat when not in use
Old 05-09-2008, 08:46 AM

you can take a gander at these. it starts out high but you can go down to the 3000 ,2000 and so forth.. they changed the way they look and etc. mine is 5 years old and looks different but sounds great.

http://www.streetsoundsonline.net/ec...cd-player.html
Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by frosty
Quattro15,

Out of curiosity, do the backlights/display lights on your factory stereo work? Mine quit me early (~80K). BTW: I've seen these cables routed down through the ashtray.
My lights work just fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 AM

I am a big fan of Kenwood Excellon units and I am probably going to venture into Pioneer. Eclipse are great...if you can afford them and keep them running.

I always go for one with at least one set of RCA outs and that plays MP3 Discs. I prefer doing that to using my IPOD. You can get up to 150 MP3s on one disc that way.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Man4God
I am a big fan of Kenwood Excellon units and I am probably going to venture into Pioneer. Eclipse are great...if you can afford them and keep them running.

I always go for one with at least one set of RCA outs and that plays MP3 Discs. I prefer doing that to using my IPOD. You can get up to 150 MP3s on one disc that way.
i have had 2 eclipses. the first one was sold with my other truck and is still playing fine at 9years old.. my current as stated is 5 years old. i cant say for the new designed one though. but i know mine is awesome. greatest sound i have ever heard even compared to kenwood, pioneer and so forth. remember Eclipse uses 5 LASERS not the standard 1,2 or if you are lucky, 3..
Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
i have had 2 eclipses. the first one was sold with my other truck and is still playing fine at 9years old.. my current as stated is 5 years old. i cant say for the new designed one though. but i know mine is awesome. greatest sound i have ever heard even compared to kenwood, pioneer and so forth. remember Eclipse uses 5 LASERS not the standard 1,2 or if you are lucky, 3..
Only a well trained ear will be able to tell the difference between a Pioneer and Eclipse. I can. Been a musician for 15 years. But most people will not be able to tell the difference. Besides, all the lasers in the world won't affect sound quality...

For most people out there, any decent branded aftermarket player will work just fine and sound awesome to them.

Quick Reply: CD Player issues....