Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CBI Rear Bumper Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got a chance to install my CBI rear bumper this past weekend. I got the standard bumper, modified to fit my 2" body lift and with an exhaust cut-out on the right side. I think the tire carrier is a great option for some guys, but with all the extra weight and decreased visibility/access it just didn't make much sense for me to go that route with my 4runner since it is still my daily driver. Overall I'm beyond thrilled with the bumper, I think Steve did a great job and really adds in the small touches to make the bumper both good looking and very functional. For now I just rattle-canned it, planning to get it coated with Line-X sometime this winter to match the TJM up front. Also need to get my exhaust pipe re-routed to make use of the cutout on the bumper. Still a few more holes to drill and some other things to tweak when I get a chance, but here are the initial pics...

Old 10-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Wow I really like the look of that... I'm almost torn between that and the Perkins. On a side note - what length antenna is that on the back?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks awesome! I haven't seen pics of a CBI without a swing-away yet, very clean looking, almost looks like it could be factory!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by rideexileex
Wow I really like the look of that... I'm almost torn between that and the Perkins. On a side note - what length antenna is that on the back?
I think it's 4 feet but I honestly can't remember, I just held a tape measure above the mount before I ordered it to figure out how tall I should get. I like sides of the Perkins bumper but the back of it looks too plain, I like the inset hitch and angles of the CBI bumper better (but then again I'm a little biased!)

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Looks awesome! I haven't seen pics of a CBI without a swing-away yet, very clean looking, almost looks like it could be factory!
Thanks Brian, I was never able to find any pictures of the plain bumper either so I wasn't exactly sure how it would turn out, pleased with the result though!

Last edited by tarheelrunner; 10-18-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM

How did you get those bumpers? I just got a 98 and I'm looking to do some upgrading
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Ctaylor98runner
How did you get those bumpers? I just got a 98 and I'm looking to do some upgrading
hmm...he ordered the rear from CBI off Road: http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/index.php

the front bumper looks like an ARB....i got mine from trdparts4u

is your friend

Edit: I was wrong, his bumper is a TJM-15, it was in his sig.
Not sure if they are still available, shrockworks makes something similar

Last edited by dropzone; 10-18-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ctaylor98runner
he used what we like to call money..

bumper looks great man. Can we get a closer shot of the gap between the body and the bumper with the hatch up. I think you did good getting from those guys, they do phenomenal work. I wish they would update their website some. How much did you pay for it. I dunno where you're located so did you have it built and pick up local or do they make to order and ship them out. If price is decent and they ship I might be getting one of these bad boys before the year is over.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine to order and shipped from ID to CA. They ship through Fastenal (locations all over the US). Mine (with a tire carrier) was only $150 to ship which I thought was very reasonable.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM

I've yet to hear a quote on a CBI...
Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Steve's work is worth the wait
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Damn tarheelrunner, that looks amazing. This is one of the last modifications I've want to make to my 4runner and this just makes me want to do it even more.

I have a couple questions. Did you get the bumper box thing? And also did you scrap you're dual exhuast that you'd been running for a while?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks outstanding=very clean look
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Steve's work is worth the wait
Sorry - I mean just a general price quote that others have received. I haven't asked him myself
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 AM

The rear bumper is $599, adjustment for a 1" body lift is $50, 2" body lift is $100, and the exhaust cut out is $60. Not sure what the swing away tire carrier runs since I didn't go that route, I'm guessing around $400-$500 though. Steve is pretty backed up right now because he lost one of his main shop guys, so it took about 4 months to get the bumper after I initially order it.

Originally Posted by benp
Damn tarheelrunner, that looks amazing. This is one of the last modifications I've want to make to my 4runner and this just makes me want to do it even more.

I have a couple questions. Did you get the bumper box thing? And also did you scrap you're dual exhuast that you'd been running for a while?
I didn't get the bumper box, it looks like it could be cool but for $100 I didn't really think it was worth it. I actually scrapped the dual exhaust about 2 years ago and put a stock muffler back in, it just got annoying after a while. I kept the right pipe and tip from the duals with the new muffler up until a few weeks ago, cut it off by the frame and using a temporary hanger from Autozone right now (you can kind of see the pipe in the first picture). Planning to get a single pipe re-routed from the muffler to the new bumper exhaust cut out sometime this winter, I'll update the thread when I do

Originally Posted by JWaldz
he used what we like to call money..
Can we get a closer shot of the gap between the body and the bumper with the hatch up.
I'll try to take some picture of that the next time I get a chance. The gap is about an inch, maybe a little more but not too much. Going from the factory bumper to an aftermarket one definitely exposes some areas of the body that haven't been seen in a while, but a little paint or just a good wash can take care of that pretty easily.

Last edited by tarheelrunner; 10-19-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 AM

The bumper looks good.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
The rear bumper is $599, adjustment for a 1" body lift is $50, 2" body lift is $100, and the exhaust cut out is $60. Not sure what the swing away tire carrier runs since I didn't go that route, I'm guessing around $400-$500 though. Steve is pretty backed up right now because he lost one of his main shop guys, so it took about 4 months to get the bumper after I initially order it.
thank you for the information! and hope to see those other pics.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 AM

looks good man!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks really nice. I can't tell from the pic and the website doesn't say anything but, does that have a hitch receiver built in?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Very nice clean bumper, clean lines that go with runner. Classy yet tuff.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
That looks really nice. I can't tell from the pic and the website doesn't say anything but, does that have a hitch receiver built in?
There is a 2" receiver built into the bumper that is attached to a crossmember that is welded to the insides of the bumper brackets, it's a pretty stout set up.

Quick Reply: CBI Rear Bumper Installed