Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Carry a spare shaft!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry a spare shaft!

Just a reminder for the IFS crew. Carry a spare axle shaft! On the WATTORA run this past Sunday, Lawnjob shattered one and out of a crew of a dozen rigs, there was exactly one spare axle shaft and one 36mm socket The replacement was a hassle, but he got to drive home that night instead of taking an expensive ride in a wrecker with a fat, sweaty guy, which would have been an even bigger/more expensive hassle.

For those with manual hubs, it's a bit less urgent, but still a good idea. For those with ADD, carry a spare and know how to replace it.

It's not a matter of if you are going to break one. It's a matter of when.

Those from here who were there that day can attest to how nice it was to get him back on the trail instead of trying to drag his ass around for the rest of the evening.

Just another timely reminder from the one accused of being the "safety guy"
Old 10-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Having a spare can be the difference between getting home and staying the night in the boonies. I have broken two axles, one outboard joint on Double Whammy in Moab, and an ORS axle shaft on the White Whale in Chinamans Gulch at the CO4RJ3.

In moab, I didn't have a spare. But do to the break, I was able to drive back to the campsite and load it up on the trailer. However, that small bit of driving back to the kOA, cost me nearly 400 dollars. The burr on the shaft of the outboard joint ate up the inside of the spindle, not a good thing. Next time, I'll just change it there or pull the entire alxe out and stick in an inboard joint to seal up the diff.

In Colorado, I pulled the outboard joint and zip tied what was left of the axle shaft to the suspension. I used a grease cup cap to seal off the outboard joint bearing. Due to time constraint (it hailed 5 minutes after I finished) I was glad I didn't try and replace the axle. I was able to drive out in 3 wheel drive with the ARB pulling the other tire.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:34 PM

Very good pointers guys. I keep meaning to get a spare from a wrecking yard but have yet to do so. This is one of those stories that may just get my arse into gear and get one. Blue
Old 10-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

I guess it's time for me to learn how to do that ehe

Someone locally want to teach me?
Old 10-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

I got a PM requesting info on where to pick up a spare and thought I would share my response here as well to add to the thread.

If you are running stock axle shafts, then just about any replacement you can get your hands on will be just fine. You can get them remanufactured or new at any auto supply store, the new ones are more expensive. You can get them from someone doing a solid axle swap. Or some folks get them at junkyards.

The only piece of information you need beyond what you told me is whether it has manual hubs or ADD. (2001 4Runner, 4x4, 3.4)

On top of the shaft, you will need a socket for removing the axle nut, the rest can be done with the socket set and other misc. tools you probably already carry. On the Tacoma, that nut is a 36mm, but you might want to ask around the 4Runner set as to it's size on the 4Runners.

The process is pretty simple and can be done with just a bit more difficulty than changing brake pads. None the less, you should have someone walk you through it the first time as there are some tricks that make the job easier.

If you are running fancy, aftermarket shafts like me, then any axle will still work as a replacement, but it doesn't hurt to carry a spare of the type you are running. They are the same left and right, so you can carry one spare and it will work for either side.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:07 AM

Sounds like a great topic to add to the "Tech write-ups" forum (i.e. how to replace an IFS axle)