Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

Caring for your paint's finish (especially but not exclusive to Black)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caring for your paint's finish (especially but not exclusive to Black)

I was reading the post about swirl marks on Black paint and I thought I'd share my experiences.

In the early 80's my father retired from his government job and opened up a Tidy-Car franchise. Of course I went to work for him and discovered that paint finish care is at "least" a two step process. A third step is usually a more agressive step to "help" remove damage and/or overspray which is typically done with rubbing compund and/or clay bars. Both of which you should be EXTREMELY careful with.

1. Polish:
This is when a very mild abrasive paint conditioner is rubbed into the paint. They are typically called "Glazes" and there are "Hnad" and "Machine" versions. A Glaze will remove oxidation, water spots, bird bomb damage (to a point) and swirl marks / scratches that cannot be detected with your finger nail. Once you paint is polished it will shine better than new! But beware, it's naked, and will require protection. Typically, you only have to Polish your paint once or twice a year.

2. Protection (wax)
Most of you are prob. familiar with putting this "sacrificial" protection layer on your paint. When a good quality wax is used you'll notice that your paint is more easily washed and dried. Dirt, bugs, bird crap, etc. doesn't stick like it used to. A good quality wax can be apllied weekly without risk of build-up. Maintaining your hard work (polishing and waxing) means using a proper "Car Wash" detergent, not dish soap as this will strip your wax. Also Natural chamois which contain tannic Acid will strip wax to some degree as well. Combination products (IE Cleaner-Waxes) are crap. For best results the two-step process is best.

One other little trick I know is for re-vitailizing your front windshield: Run a clay bar over the glass lubricated with a quick-detailing spray.

I currently own an 2001 Audi TT (Denim Blue) 93 'runner (green) and my wife ownes a 2002 Jetta (Black) and we use the following products with great sucsess.

3M Imperial Hand glaze
One Grand Blitz wax (Carnuba works best on German paint)
3M Tire Dressing.
3M Wheel cleaner. (Amazing on stained alloy rims!!)
Lexol Leather cleaner and conditioner.
Lexol Vynlex cleaner and conditioner (Interior vinyl and plastics).

Zaino Bros. I haven't tried these products but will this coming spring as a "Honda" freak freind of mine swears by it.

For more detailed (no pun intended) info on the ins and outs of detailing a vehicle check out: www.carcareonline.com
Read thier "how-to" articles. They plug several of the products they sell into their articles and I've tried most of them with great success!!

Old 11-27-2002, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Nice... the inside scoop. I'm coming to the point of repairing a few rust spots on my truck and then doing the paint restoration. Good to know the facts from the myths. Will stop using dish soap... D!
Old 11-27-2002, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Ah very nice to know, thanks for the info and link to the site. I was just wondering about yourprofessional opinion. I have a black 96' 4Runner and I am seeing paint swirls galore now more than ever. Would you recomend that I take this into a shop and get it profesionally taken care of, or do you think that this might be something that I can take care of myslef?
Old 11-27-2002, 09:01 AM

Hey Stump, I feel your pain!!

First check out: http://www.carcareonline.com/clean_paint.html
and then: http://www.carcareonline.com/protect_paint.html

I've used the 3M glaze and Blitz wax with great results on Japanese and German paint.

The Glaze shoud get rid of most of the swirl marks and may take a few applications for the really bad areas.
Remember that this stuff removes swirl marks, not sratches.
For minor sratches you'll need something more agressive but afterall its a truck, not a vintage 'vette that your getting judged
Just follow the articles and you can't go wrong. If you want to use a polishing machine then get the "Machine Glaze" but the Hand stuff works fine. Give yourself lots of time 'cause the wole process will take about 4 hours.

Good Luck,

Patrick.

Old 11-27-2002, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet deal man, I'm not worried about the scratch marks any more, after getting these 32s on there, every rock I run over gets thrown on my baby, so no need to worry about that. I kinda like the scratches, they give my rig character.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

This is a perfect opportunity for me to throw in a plug for the Zaino product line.

I bought a 'Vette earlier this year and was searching for a really good system to keep her shiny and protected. Most waxes I've used over the years either didn't last long or were real bears to remove without LOTS of elbow grease.

I gave Zaino a try and can't stop smiling. I applied the polish to my '99 4Runner (black) and still have no complaints.

No streaks, no residue, water continues to bead relentlessly and the finish looks great all the time.

I've even e-mailed Sal Zaino with my compliments and got back a nice, informative reply. He does paint for a living, so seemed to know a bit about the industry.

So, for what it's worth, I'd give Zaino a try. Start with the Z5 first to clean up the swirl marks, then hit it with Z2 for a deep gloss.

If you don't like the stuff, I'll buy it from you. I need to order more anyhow! (watch 20 people take me up on that ...):cry:
Old 11-27-2002, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

Ditto to what VF84 says. I was a skeptic but now a total zealot for Zaino Bros products. My wife's father came out to California and said to me "It looks better than when I gave it to you guys!"

Bob