Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Car alarms

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car alarms

Ok, after reading up on alarms and posting a thread or two of my own, I have a better idea of what i want to get but am still unsure. I have decided, based on where I live, that I don't really need too fancy of an alarm but I still want something better than bargain basement stuff. I'm probably going to go with a viper or some other dei counterpart but am not sure which yet since they have so many alarms out. All I need is a good alarm with keyless entry, good enough sensors, and won't false too much. So my question is what do you guys think are some of the better, more basic alarms dei has out? And for those of you with aftermarket alarms, how do the led indicators fit into the factory 4runner cutouts? I really want a factory clean install and am wondering if this can be done with aftermarket alarms? Oh and has anybody have positive experiences getting your alarms installed in those big chain electronics stores? (like bestbuy or goodguys or something) From what I heard in this forum, stores like circuit city do shotty jobs with the installs and use elec tape and I'm not sure if the other chains do this as well. I would bring my truck to a car audio/security store but around here they are all owned and/or worked in by teens/younger people with ricey cars so I want to avoid going there too if possible. Answers to any of my questions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you know what you expect of the alarm?

For example, are you _just_ looking for something that will make a lot of noise and hopefully scare away a would-be thief? Or, something to keep the car fom starting unless it's you starting it? Or, something to remotely control features like power windows, locks, or add remote start?

The reason I ask is that I have the stock RS3000 alarm in my '96, and I don't trust that it would stop anyone from taking the truck if they really wanted it. That's my feeling about alarms in general, I'm not saying that the RS3000 in specific isn't secure.

The thing that I basically use it for is the remote door lock/unlock. If someone _really_ wants your vehicle, they'll just hook it and tow it. And even with the alarm blaring, I would bet that no one would be "alarmed" enough to do anything about it. (sorry for the bad pun )

I've watched 100 space parking lots being cleared by towing companies. Car alarms blaring, wheels cocked sideways, lots of Le Clubs on steering wheels - down the road they went.

Anyway... If you're looking to keep the casual thief away, then something simple based on a power drain monitor will do that. The door opens, the dome light comes on, the alarm senses the additional power drain, delays for 20 seconds then goes off.

Add a hidden ignition cutoff switch, and that's a cheap $3 safety net. Make it a "safety key" style switch, and that's about $7. For LED blinking, that's about a buck in parts.

I don't mean to be critical of your want, I just thought I'd through another viewpoint in.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
OK, I have the DEI Python 650 I bought summer of 2000.
It's fully expandable, and a top rated alarm system.
It came with a starter kill circuit, and I had them add the keyless entry to it.
I have not used a key for my doors since the install.
Very nice touch.

I would also look into getting a pager.
I have one, and it's great.
Any zone that gets tampered with when it sets off the alarm will raise the FM antenna and transmit one mile to my pager.

If you are in a store and your alarm goes off, a thief may continue to work since a lot of people will do nothing and they know it.
However if your pager goes off you can drop what you are doing and go outside and prepare to give the punks a serious ass kicking, or whatever else you may have planned for them

As for the LED mount, look at my photo here and you can see it mounted between my two off road light switches.
You don't have to use the cutouts, but you can if you want.
Mine is in plane site and seen easily when you look in the window.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to disable the starter cheaply and have some wiring know-how, I'd do what mpulver suggested.

I think the current crop of alarms have alot of nice convenience features. Starting with the door lock/unlock, definitiely one of the most desirable features. Much easier than fumbing with getting a key in the lock. BTW, I haven't used my door key for 3 years. Fortunate, since the lock cores in our Toys wear out with time and replacing the set is around $200 in parts alone. Another nice convenience is the remote start (if you have an Auto tranny). Warm up the vehicle before you leave and have it toasty warm or nice and cool when you get in. One last convenience feature you can add is the window module. At a minimum, adding a window module to the tailgate window makes the chore of loading groceries easier since you don't need to fumble to get the key in the lock. These can be added to the door windows and sunroof to automatically close them upon arming.

As far as DEI stuff, their alarms are OK, but the window modules are marginal. Both of my modules I had on my door windows went bad and are now getting "repaired". My tailgate module just quit too, and has yet to be fixed. Phxrunner has a different window module that he recommends. I'll probably be getting some from him soon.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Henryv-

I noticed, like myself, you're in the SF Bay Area. I just got my alarm installed on my 2000 4runner SR5 from Mach 3 (415.594.0029) on Ocean Ave near City College in SF.

The alarm is a Python 3000esp. Options I put on were: altered tone on the alarm, all windows up, front windows down, trunk window down, remote start, air horn, one-touch window up/down for trunk glass, and the regulars (ignition kill, door locks, shock sensor, etc.) This cost me $700 and was installed in a day. Mach 3 has been doing work on my cars for the last 4 years. Plus, I did some price hunting around the Bay, and this was the best I could find. My window module on a previous vehicle (as Cebby called it) went bad, but Mach 3 replaced it free of charge, even after 3 years. They do good work, you just have to be specific (i.e. alarm LEDs on doors near rear-view mirrors, etc, valet switch in glovebox).

On the flip side - any good thief will find a way to get your car. My Acura had ig kill, DEI alarm, air horn, blah blah, but was still stolen, stripped and torched :pat: . Dittoing what Mark wrote, most of the above features were installed as conveniences for my lazy-a**.

If you're interested in going to Mach 3, let me know. I can call the guys (Johnson, Walee, or Ray) and ask them to hook you up with a deal. They do mainly performance stuff for rice-cookers, but a good install is a good install.

-Ben