YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Baloo
Can't remove key from ignition

Had to go pick up a salvage car for my son yesterday to fix his Neon. He drove through a puddle in the recent heavy rains and bent a rod (don't ask). Rented a dolley and on our way to get it (dolley empty) we made a stop. When we came back out I could not get my 01 taco out of park. After a little work, was able to get it in gear and only used neutral the rest of the way up.

When we got where we were going, I decided toi risk it, and it appeared to work right with one exception. Now I can not turn the key all the way off which means I can not take the key out of the ignition. Anyone else run into this? Transmission? Shifter? Linkage?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

-------------

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

maybe the shifter.

there's a white plastic linkage that will push a switch just infront of the shifter. try shifting back and forth a few times. if it doesn't work, open the upper console panel and check if the plastic linkage is engaging properly when the shifter is moved.

hth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

bob200587
See if you have a brake light out or a blown fuse. If the light is out, the transmission wont let it out of park because of some safety switch. It happened to my dad in his FJ80. If you were towing, a short in the trailer wiring could have caused a brake light to blow.

It sounds simple, but you should check before looking for more complex problems.

87 4runner 4x4 SR5 22RE
ARB Bull Bar,
31X10.50 Mastercraft M/T's, Stock 4.10 Gears, Flowmaster Muffler, LCE Header
AISIN Manual Hubs, Marlin Crawler Sliders
Dead motor 3.4 swap or something else to come
Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Bob and Roy, thanks,

Roy, I am sure that is now the problem because what ray described is exactly what happened but I did not relate the two at the time.

I am hoping when I got it into gear PRIOR to fixing the fuse I only damages the switch (plastic) and not something in the tranny.

Thanks guys.

-------------

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Parts guy is clueless so...until I get in there to take a look, I won't know what possible parts I need.

There goes my evening in front of the TV.

-------------

Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003, 4runner, 96, cylinder, expedition, ignition, key, park, remove, sideways, stuck, tacoma, takoma, toyota, turn