Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can you install an anti-lock brake system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you install an anti-lock brake system?

I was wondering if ABS can be installed on a vehicle without one. If so, what all is involved? Locking up on I-4 in the rain during rush hour is a little scary. Rain or shine, that interstate is the biggest collection of idiots in any one place that I have ever seen. It has earned the nickname I-Fear and rightly so. Just one big demolition derby. Anyway, I sure appreciate any help!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
The only way you can do that is if the same vehicle was offerred with ABS and get all the parts from it. There are no aftermarket systems for passenger vehicles.

The better answer is first to be sure your brakes are well maintained and most importantly learn to modulate that right foot. Go find a suitable place and practice some panic stops, and practice some skids too. It's great fun and you'd be surprised what you can do with it.

Personally I HATE ABS, and would prefer to control my vehicle myself. But then, I'm an old fart.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 AM

And you are soooo right about the Interstate....
Old 01-14-2005, 08:46 AM

Thanks, Flamed! I keep my brakes in pretty good condition. I have to living in Florida (all of the 500 yr. old snowbirds, ya know). I'm old, too, but I guess I just got used to using ABS in my GMC. It's pretty embarrassing to be going 5 MPH and suddenly having to hit the brakes (because the moron in front of you suddenly stops for no reason) and squeeling tires like you were doing 80. I guess that's what bothers me the most. If you've ever driven in Florida you'd understand the "I need to brake suddenly for no apparent reason" syndrome. Alot of people here have it. I wouldn't be one of them. Too many people on cell phones is part of the problem. Thanks for the info. I'll check to see if ABS was offered for my 89 and look into the details if it was. I'm thinking it might not have been, though.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiger Paw
Thanks, Flamed! I keep my brakes in pretty good condition. I have to living in Florida (all of the 500 yr. old snowbirds, ya know). I'm old, too, but I guess I just got used to using ABS in my GMC. It's pretty embarrassing to be going 5 MPH and suddenly having to hit the brakes (because the moron in front of you suddenly stops for no reason) and squeeling tires like you were doing 80. I guess that's what bothers me the most. If you've ever driven in Florida you'd understand the "I need to brake suddenly for no apparent reason" syndrome. Alot of people here have it. I wouldn't be one of them. Too many people on cell phones is part of the problem. Thanks for the info. I'll check to see if ABS was offered for my 89 and look into the details if it was. I'm thinking it might not have been, though.
I don't think Florida has the market cornered on concentration of idiots....but that does sound bad.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I don't think Florida has the market cornered on concentration of idiots....but that does sound bad.

No they don't but it is bad there. I've gone to St Augustine, Tampa, and Miami on business quite a bit in the last few years, and they are indeed nuts down there! Tampa area is the worst!